Parents Final Ortho appt tomorrow??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

nettyinpa

Olivia is now in her 3rd week of wearing her air cast. Needless to say, she's sick of it. She was using crutches for almost 2 weeks, didn't seem to mind them, though. I think they were more of a novelty. Anyway, she has been going to physical therapy 2x a week and said it's not as painful as it was. We're hoping to hear good things tomorrow at the doctor. She did have a small stress fracture in her ankle so I don't know how long those things take to heal. She's been good about not doing things she's not supposed to do at the gym. I think she's going stir crazy. I also have kept her home a few times to let her rest it. Our coaches just added on another meet for the 2nd weekend in April. I hope she's ready by then. 2 weeks after that is sectionals. I'm debating whether or not to even let her compete at this new meet. We'll see what the doc says tomorrow.

Wish us luck!

Good luck at the doctor tomorrow. I hope she is at least let out of the boot, though they may want her on some activity restriction for awhile yet. Hopefully the doctor can give you good advice about the new meet.

Well, we have some good news and some bad news. Good news is no more air-cast! She was thrilled about that. She just has to wear it for gym class at school and anytime she's playing outside or goes roller skating, or any other activity other than gymnastics. She can get back up on beam and dismount from the bar over the pit. She's okay to do tumble trak for a while longer until the therapist releases her to do more, probably just on the rod floor. her ankle will have to be taped for the rest of the YEAR!!

Bad news ~ the doctor doesn't think she should do the meet. She still cannot do vaulting or tumbling for another month. That's getting very close to sectionals, which is the last weekend in April. So, it's pushing it a little but I think she'll be ready. I think she's okay about it, too. I would so much rather she miss the end of the season, though, and start out the summer and the next season healthy. So, we'll see how thing progress over the next month. :)

Glad she is healing and out of the air cast for the most part! Hoping she heals fully. I agree with you, better to miss end of season than miss MORE time by reinjuring or something. I would just tell her not to get her hopes up, keep training and you guys can decide then. Good luck deciding. She is so young and has many more meets ahead of her. I would err on side of caution for sure.

Glad the healing is going well! Good luck to her on getting ready for Sectionals--as we found out with Beth, things don't always go as well as you'd hoped.

Nettyinpa,

Sorry about the injury, we had our fracture last year before states. Not easy to be training all year only to be taken out of the game with an injury. Good thing is she's recovering. We were also told not to compete states but at that point she had already qualified for a sectional. I'm guessing you DD didn't do one yet? Is there any way you could petition to skip sectional? I know we had our #1 girl out on a fracxture and she could not do a sectional but had sompetted a couple mmets before injury. I think coaches had to submit some scores that showed she probably would have got the AA score at sectional. That's here in NJ so not sure about the details but #1 girl was done w/injury just in time for states, competeted and came in first AA for the 8 Sr's

Also, if your DD can do tumble trak, my DD spent alot of time doing "vault" on tumble trak onto stacked mats. Not the same as real vault I know and not the big run, but at least the motions. My DD did vault for the first time after fracture at her L4 states meet, it had been 2 months since she vasulted for real. Wasn't pretty, but she made it over! Same thing with the floor skills. She did as much as she could on that trak...not the same as floor, but was able to keep up some of the skills and still be gentle on foot/heel.

((HUGS)) and healing ~vibes~

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back