Parents FINALLY a good meet for Puma Jr!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yay! Congrats to her! Progress is progress no matter what the number. I love your story about the dad sitting in front of you... I think if more gym parents spoke to each other instead of just focusing on their gymmie beating everyone, there would be a lot more cheering for each girl on her own individual journey. These are real kids after all and not just a number in an age group. :) Sounds like a successful meet all around!

Congrats on a great meet! I can relate. My older DD is a new level 3. She started out as the anchor of her level 3 team. Her first meet was all 7's, but I was still so proud! She fell on bars, hit her head on her ROBHS, barely got over on her vault, and wobbled through her entire beam routine. She was the last to make states. She worked so hard this year and her AA has gone up to 35!! She got 10th AA out of 24 at her last meet. We were both beaming!!!!

Yay! Congrats to her! Progress is progress no matter what the number. I love your story about the dad sitting in front of you... I think if more gym parents spoke to each other instead of just focusing on their gymmie beating everyone, there would be a lot more cheering for each girl on her own individual journey. These are real kids after all and not just a number in an age group. :) Sounds like a successful meet all around!

I agree about the dad. I wish more parents would do this. I still remember a mom at an out-of-state meet over a year ago. Our daughters were in the same age group and level, and she would cheer loudly for my daughter, even yelling out her name. I was so touched.

As as super side note...I'm pretty proud of my meet hair :) Thanks for the great idea, @raenndrops !
image.jpeg

Good for little Puma.

On a side note I rather prefer my kid blow warm ups, tends to bode well for actual event.

She never once made a mill circle in warm up, never missed one for comp.

Now last week she landed the DFC in warm up blew it on comp.

Good for little Puma.

On a side note I rather prefer my kid blow warm ups, tends to bode well for actual event.

She never once made a mill circle in warm up, never missed one for comp.

Now last week she landed the DFC in warm up blew it on comp.
She actually did look horrible in both bars and beam warmups! It was her best bars, but probably her worst beam, but I agree that it does seem to work that way. You can hear Puma say on the bars video "Well, it's better than practice" but a friend of mine who I sent the video to thought he said "Well, it's better than crap!" LOL

These are the best kinds of victories!!!! When Kipper scored a 9.175 on bars, her highest ever in 5 years of competing, I yelled as loudly as the mom whose kid scored a 9.9! Watching them struggle, work hard, work harder, work even harder, and then see success...is such a powerful mamma moment!

There was one year that one of the team girls couldn't stick a cartwheel on beam to save her life (old level 5). She finally did it at the last meet of the year--the way we all exploded in cheers in the audience, you would have thought she won the Olympics! She was all smiles too.

Ok, so my kid's scores would make most of your kids CRY, but it's all relative right?! All I know is that Puma Jr just had her best meet of the season. She had her best AA, best bars, and best vault which was also her best single event score all year. She had all "clean" routines (hit all skills, no falls) again and FINALLY qualified for states! I know it's not all that hard in NY, but she has really been struggling through this transition so I am super proud of her. Her hard work is really starting to pay off. She still has a long way to go, but at least the stress of qualifying is over. It came down to the wire too...she ended on vault and needed higher than her best score all season to qualify. Her first vault was AWFUL. She actually fell on her butt, which she has never done. (Hmmm..I'm just realizing that may count against my previous "clean" comment...but that's why you get two, right?!)But her second vault was actually 0.45 higher than she needed! Woo hoo! This is so huge for her confidence. Hopefully it can propel her to really dig in and make the corrections she needs to work toward getting scores like her teammates. You know what I always say though...small victories!!! THANK YOU for all the good thoughts/wishes/mojo...:)
Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Qualifying for state is huge. Congratulations to her!!!!!!

She actually did look horrible in both bars and beam warmups! It was her best bars, but probably her worst beam, but I agree that it does seem to work that way. You can hear Puma say on the bars video "Well, it's better than practice" but a friend of mine who I sent the video to thought he said "Well, it's better than crap!" LOL

So glad for Puma Jr & mom!!! It's so exciting when they have a positive meet!! So glad there was a gym dad that was nice too!

My dd is seriously struggling this meet season. This last meet is the closest she has come to good solid scores for every event. She has only had one clean meet and strangely scored 7's on bars & beam that meet. This most recent meet, she had 8.7's & 8.8's going into her last event, beam & ended up with 2 falls. Ugh!!! But during warm ups, she fell on her squat on for bars every single warm up turn!!! Then got it when it counted! It was an awesome accomplishment in my opinion. I was hoping it would be the same for beam since she fell on her BWO every warm up turn but nope, no such luck.

I am so happy that things are looking up for Puma Jr. And from another mom who's kid is rarely on the podium this year, I love these stories! Not everyone is makes >37 But it doesn't mean they aren't working hard and giving it thier best. It's easy to keep doing when your winning....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back