WAG Finally facing fear

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DOes it make sense that a child might have fears of a backwards series on beam (ie BHS BLO or BHS BHS) but NOT a single skill (ie back tuck)?

DD acknowledged to me that she now has issues with these two series? I asked if she is scared, and she said not exactly, but is still quite young so sometimes can't verbalize. I told her she had to talk to her coach about it, and to be honest (she tends to say nothing so as not to let her coach down), and that moving the skill back to a lower beam, fat pad, line on floor is OK until she is more comfortable. She was relieved. But strangely the standing back tuck is fine :rolleyes:

The back tuck is often Ok when the BHS or series is not. Can't miss your hands on a back tuck can you;)

The back tuck is often Ok when the BHS or series is not. Can't miss your hands on a back tuck can you;)

Ah that makes complete sense. It initially struck me as odd that she was OK with the BT, cartwheel aerial, etc. but the BHS had issues. I attributed it to series, but perhaps it is the hands! Thanks a lot.

Ah that makes complete sense. It initially struck me as odd that she was OK with the BT, cartwheel aerial, etc. but the BHS had issues. I attributed it to series, but perhaps it is the hands! Thanks a lot.

My dd does back handspring layout on the beam because she thinks its easier than 2 back handsprings. It is the hands.

My dd does back handspring layout on the beam because she thinks its easier than 2 back handsprings. It is the hands.

Agreed! My dd learned BHS LO much faster than BHS-BHS, and single BT was not a problem! Now for me, anything that involves hurling oneself backwards would be scary, lol.

To the OP, fears will come and go, learning to work through them is part of the "marathon" ;)
I have one DD who manages quite well, while the other one used to drive all of us crazy!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back