Parents Finally invited to pre-team - now frustrated it is too easy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momstrong

Proud Parent
My 9 year old dd finally is on the path she's hoped for - transitioning from rec level 4 to accelerated pre-team and will hopefully make level 3 JO team this spring/summer. This was kind of a special group our gym created for these girls since we asked to be evaluated. My dd and her bestie are both similar abilities, but much older than what our gym would consider for JO track. I figured she would be headed for XCEL, but after both dd and I seeing those girls practice, she decided that was not her goal. Many of them have even less skills than dd. They evaluated a group in Dec. and just formed this special group that is practicing 6 hours/wk with the goal of getting them ready for team training this summer. Preteam is usually called mini preteam at our gym and much younger girls.

DD was progressing well in rec level 4, working on front handspring on vault into pit, ROBHS on tumble track, front and back walkovers, back and front hip circle, shoot through, etc. just not super clean. A few of the girls taken from lower level rec don't have the skills, but I assume they see strength and future potential. I think they're also a little younger. It's only been 2 classes, but she says they aren't doing anything difficult. Only working on casting on bars, handstands on beam, no walkovers on floor. No handsprings. The girls asked if coach would spot them on ROBHS on tumble track and she said no. She says she's losing skills and probably behind her rec girls now. I'm sure there is reasoning for what they are working on, I'm just not sure what to tell her, but say just keep working hard on what they are doing!

What is the goal/focus of preteam?

Conditioning, Shapes and Form. More Shapes and Form. Do not expect any skills above beginner level. Lots of handstands. More Handstands. Core strength to be able to hold the correct shapes. While this may seem boring right now, if she wants to continue past beginner level skills, she has to develop correct technique to set her up for upper level skills in the future. It is a big change from rec. Your dd may need to adjust what is "challenging" perhaps making some strength goals to challenge herself (rope climbs, leg lifts, etc)

Form. I'd say form is the focus of preteam. They don't want to continue down a path of more skills, less cleanly- so they go back to square and build kids back up the way they want them. Skills will come with any team program, but there is always going to be a lot of time perfecting things that seem simple. That's the daily grind of team gymnastics.

I know it seemed odd that girls in other programs (rec gymnastics/cheer) were advancing way faster than my DD when she was spending many more hours at practice. The difference is the expectation/technique. Progress will be much slower now that she's working towards JO.

DD (Now L10) was in same boat when she started team. She had gone through rec level 4 and then when starting team at 8 had to learn lots of dance technique, work on form, strength, etc. She had her ROBHS before starting team, but did not work it for a while on team because it needed fixing. Be patient. It is best to go slow and learn the correct technique.

Congrats to your DD! My DD started in Xcel and switched to JO. When she made the switch her progression actually slowed down quite a bit and for awhile the Xcel kids continued to gain skills more rapidly than DD. As others have said, the emphasis is on strength and conditioning which will improve form and get them ready for the more difficult skills in upper level optionals.

They let the rec girls do lots of skills, because skills are fun and are what keep the kids signing up. The preteam does shapes and form and drills. Ad nauseum. I agree about getting new goals. Rope is an endless source of them. First with scissor legs and then with legs piked to the side -- handstand holds, pull ups. Three straddle press handstands in a row is a big one DD is working on now. Even bridges usually look very, very different between rec and team.

DD was at a very competitive JO gym and I watched their level 7s doing round offs and round off drills for half an hour the other week...The basics are so important.

DD (Now L10) was in same boat when she started team. She had gone through rec level 4 and then when starting team at 8 had to learn lots of dance technique, work on form, strength, etc. She had her ROBHS before starting team, but did not work it for a while on team because it needed fixing. Be patient. It is best to go slow and learn the correct technique.

Thanks! I knew there would be others with a similar situation. Wow, from rec to level 10! I can be patient, will try to convince her too!

I agree with the other posters they are definitely focusing on form and strength. Building muscle and learning how to use those new muscles. Squeezing, keeping body tight, legs straight etc. I remember when my dd first went to preteam I was frustrated too bc it seemed like they were going back to the basics. But after a couple of months they started back on skills along with still working form, etc. Its definitely a different focus than rec.

I agree with the other posters they are definitely focusing on form and strength. Building muscle and learning how to use those new muscles. Squeezing, keeping body tight, legs straight etc. I remember when my dd first went to preteam I was frustrated too bc it seemed like they were going back to the basics. But after a couple of months they started back on skills along with still working form, etc. Its definitely a different focus than rec.

Completely off-topic, but cadybearsmommy, you have almost exactly the same number of posts as you do "likes". That's a pretty good ratio! :)

OP- congrats to your DD for achieving one of her long-time goals!

Completely off-topic, but cadybearsmommy, you have almost exactly the same number of posts as you do "likes". That's a pretty good ratio! :)

OP- congrats to your DD for achieving one of her long-time goals!

Thanks! She's pretty excited. I'm nervous for the journey, but happy for her too. :)

Congrats to your DD! My DD started in Xcel and switched to JO. When she made the switch her progression actually slowed down quite a bit and for awhile the Xcel kids continued to gain skills more rapidly than DD. As others have said, the emphasis is on strength and conditioning which will improve form and get them ready for the more difficult skills in upper level optionals.

Thanks! She is wanting to still do a private now and then with her rec/xcel coach. What are your thoughts on that?

You can ask the gym what they think about privates. I'm sure they will be honest with you on whether it's a good idea and how private lessons fit in with their program. Gyms seems to be all over the place on when and how often privates are available to their JO kids. Some gyms (like DD's) only seem to do them under specific circumstances (I've only heard of privates being offered once to a JO kid in the 4 years we've been at the gym). Other gyms that I see here seem to make them available to their athletes as a way to help them through a skill or a fear or just offer a little more challenge. Personally, I don't think it's necessary but that's just me based on my experience with gymmie and her gym. Doesn't hurt to ask if your DD is asking and your pockbook is able.

I also want to add that like your DD, mine was older than all the other kids in her group when she joined JO. It took her awhile to feel like she fit in with her group who were all an average 2-3 years younger. When she joined she was already hitting early puberty and her teammates were still interested in American Girl. DD was a good sport about it but that's what frustrated her the most. It's all good now but it was an issue the first 1.5 years in JO.

Rec is different from pre-team and team. In rec they just learn skills. Pre-team and team are focused on progressions, shapes, proper technique etc. They will move slower but are learning to do things right. If the goal is to compete level 3 next season, they will work towards those skills.

You can ask the gym what they think about privates. I'm sure they will be honest with you on whether it's a good idea and how private lessons fit in with their program. Gyms seems to be all over the place on when and how often privates are available to their JO kids. Some gyms (like DD's) only seem to do them under specific circumstances (I've only heard of privates being offered once to a JO kid in the 4 years we've been at the gym). Other gyms that I see here seem to make them available to their athletes as a way to help them through a skill or a fear or just offer a little more challenge. Personally, I don't think it's necessary but that's just me based on my experience with gymmie and her gym. Doesn't hurt to ask if your DD is asking and your pockbook is able.

Yeah, pocketbook would rather not do them! ;-) But I love her old coach too and sad we won't be with her.

I also want to add that like your DD, mine was older than all the other kids in her group when she joined JO. It took her awhile to feel like she fit in with her group who were all an average 2-3 years younger. When she joined she was already hitting early puberty and her teammates were still interested in American Girl. DD was a good sport about it but that's what frustrated her the most. It's all good now but it was an issue the first 1.5 years in JO.

I have somewhat thought about this issue too! Thanks for the heads up. Luckily, my DD is still into AG and asked Santa for girl of the year this year! I am seriously hoping she isn't early with puberty like I was!

Reactions: sce
Because she is 9 and doesn't get that this is a marathon not a sprint.

Compulsories are about the little things and the "big" skills.

The difference between Xcel and JO, the details. And the details aren't "exciting" .

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back