Parents Finding balance

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dh is a bit like yours and my dd is not even close to your dd's level / hours. I also think it's because he never really did anything more than rec sports as a kid. I was training as a swimmer every day (sometimes twice a day) at a very young age so even though I know nothing about gymnastics the hours never seem to phase me. I do sympathize with my mother now that I'm the taxi service and the check writer!

The same here as well my dh only did rec sport where I played professional tennis so I was training 5/6 hrs a day so hrs for me doesn't matter.

My dh is a bit like yours and my dd is not even close to your dd's level / hours. I also think it's because he never really did anything more than rec sports as a kid. I was training as a swimmer every day (sometimes twice a day) at a very young age so even though I know nothing about gymnastics the hours never seem to phase me. I do sympathize with my mother now that I'm the taxi service and the check writer!

This is so true! As a child, I 'wandered the neighborhood' either by bike or on foot...generally with a few kids, looking for others to play with. No one supervised us and we managed to get home for dinner alive! Activities were not scheduled by our parents (though I did take a weekend art class and skating class when I was younger) but I grew up before the days of soccer, tball etc. As for nights and 'family time', well, hmmm....there was no such thing as 'family game night' as currently invented by Hasbro! I guess we hung together but frankly, I think I hung mostly with my siblings, likely watching TV or playing in our pretty cool 70s era basement rec room!! This is not to say that my parents were not involved or didnt' care....I had a great childhood...but parents then just didnt' stress the way parents do now!

Sometimes I think we parents all worry 'I'm not spending time, doing this, doing that' but really, I think the kids will be OK! :)

Last edited:
Talked to DH last night and feel better. He says that he doesn't want her to quit gymnastics or anything. He just wants to act as a counterbalance to all of the positive reenforcement she gets from doing gymnastics and actually encourage her to do other things too. He doesn't want her to feel guilty for spending time at gymnastics but he also doesn't want her to feel guilty for missing practices sometimes either. He didn't think that our bickering about gymnastics affected her, or that she even knew about it, but I told him that clearly this was not the case. So, all in all, it was a good conversation, with no snarking at each other or assigning blame. I'm sure there will continue to be "discussion" around this topic, but hopefully it won't cause any major familial discord...

So glad you and DH had a chance to talk. I knew he didn't know. That's boys, they don't know what we know they should know, but once they do know they will know that they need to remember but then they'll forget again and will continue to ​KNOW NOTHING!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back