WAG Finding the value in the dedication of the slower progressing gymnast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our gym is rec only. Most kids only come once a week, but we do offer skills and drills classes and open gym if they want to come more. We also have circus stuff around (unicycles, silks, etc) that we use to add to the fun. Sometimes I get very frustrated because I wish it were more serious. I see a lot of potential in some of these kids and know that if they were in a gym where they worked several days a week for more than an hour at a clip, they would be very good. I am grooming a few girls for the high school team, which they will be eligible for in two or three years.

This is why I like T&T, honestly...

all our kids, every one, is trained with the assumption that they might want to & have the aptitude to compete some day. Now, we are very small, to the point where some of our kids have had the same team coach (usually me) from their first bounces on, but every kid is taught with that expectation, so our focus is on form & technique rather than chucking. And if it takes a kid 2 years in beginner, 2 years in the 'preteam' level class, and then 2 years in every level onward, so be it.

To be fair, you can get away with less conditioning in lower level T&T especially. But the chance for every kid to compete appeals to me.

And CoachGoofy probably goes into it believing that every kid in his program can compete a ROBHS and probably they almost all do.

Whereas the situation with artistic is the assumption that the vast majority of kids cannot hack it.

And CoachGoofy probably goes into it believing that every kid in his program can compete a ROBHS and probably they almost all do.

Whereas the situation with artistic is the assumption that the vast majority of kids cannot hack it.

Her program =)

And yes, I do believe that with enough time, kids who put forth the sustained effort will learn and do a ROBHS. I have one who it'll take years. and. years. And we do have kids quit and go to other sports, as all gymnastics programs do. But we have the ability to let the kids and their abilities determine their ceiling, instead of having what 'track' they're in do it. Cuz we're all on the same basic track.

We did T&T at our gym for a year...our coach moved away. We started the program for this exact reason...EVERYONE can compete T&T. We will start it up again soon as we are looking for a path to allow everyone to compete and T&T allows this much easier.

T&T is very different than artistic...as different as artistic gymnastics and soccer. Honestly...anyone can compete low level trampoline. You can compete different levels on each event. It is not at all uncommon in T&T to only do one or two events. T&T competes starting at L1 around us. You could be L10 tramp and L2 tumbling.

Let's look at the routines...look at L1/2/3...very basic...

:: USA Gymnastics :: T&T JO Program Overview ::

We did T&T at our gym for a year...our coach moved away. We started the program for this exact reason...EVERYONE can compete T&T. We will start it up again soon as we are looking for a path to allow everyone to compete and T&T allows this much easier.

T&T is very different than artistic...as different as artistic gymnastics and soccer. Honestly...anyone can compete low level trampoline. You can compete different levels on each event. It is not at all uncommon in T&T to only do one or two events. T&T competes starting at L1 around us. You could be L10 tramp and L2 tumbling.

Let's look at the routines...look at L1/2/3...very basic...

:: USA Gymnastics :: T&T JO Program Overview ::

S'true. EVERYONE can compete low level T&T. And that's why I like it. And it's much more forgiving of physical struggles like tight shoulders. And longevity. Yeah.

Artistic is beautiful, but I do like being part of a path that more kids can go down, competitively.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back