Parents Finished with gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Oh my heart is aching for you and for her. I can't believe everything she's gone through. And, of course, you've gone through it with her. I hope that once she's had time to grieve she can find something she loves as much. My nephew was a national qualifying level 10 gymnast when injuries forced him out of the sport, he went on to become a very successful diver because he had good body awareness in the air and the ability to twist (per his coach). Maybe that is an option your daughter would like to investigate?

Her brother is a former t & t gymnast who is now a successful high school diver. She is 15 (will be 16 in Oct), and there is a USAG gym less than 5 minutes from our house where she could probably coach. She trains 45 minutes away, and if she coached, I'm sure she would want to stay there for coaching.

She gets school PE credit for gymnastics. Her current ask is to keep going to gym and work out with the other injured girls on modified conditioning/weights through the school year. It will keep her connected, fulfill her school credit and (in her mind) give us time to change our minds if she is heeled by summer. Or it will give her time to accept the situation.

It was very strange to come home from work yesterday and see her home. Even when she has been in casts or whatever before, she has always still gone to gym every day.

I am so sorry to hear this. What a difficult transition for her, and a difficult parenting moment for you. Her determination will serve her well no matter what path she eventually decides to take--Xcel, diving, coaching, or something completely different.

If it's doable, it might be a good compromise. For my DD, acceptance of the fact that she was done came while she was rehabbing but still going into the gym to condition. She realized that even if she were to come back, which her surgeon had said was doable, she wouldn't be able to do what she wanted in the sport. She told me that she was done before I had to tell her. She was able to separate herself from the team and gym and walked away with no regrets. (She still didn't want to tell the coaches though! I came with her to do that and they were great as they knew what she had gone through.)

I am so sorry for her. We struggle with the same..I think we all do. Gymnastics is just so hard on the body and requires a ton of commitment for the JO route. Platinum/Diamond in Xcel might be a good option. My DD did HS diving while doing a gymnastics. I don't suggest doing 2 sports at once, to be honest, BUT gymnasts make good divers. :)

Good luck to her. I am sure she will find a new passion and for now her body needs to heal.

I think having her continue to go and condition while she thinks about what comes next makes a lot of sense. The connection with her friends and teammates will help to stave off the worst of injury-related depression. By the summer, she will have more perspective and you all can figure out what is the best next step for her, whether it's coaching, XCel, or on to something new and different, or perhaps even a dialed down return to JO. All good thoughts to you as you navigate this together.

Her brother is a former t & t gymnast who is now a successful high school diver. She is 15 (will be 16 in Oct), and there is a USAG gym less than 5 minutes from our house where she could probably coach. She trains 45 minutes away, and if she coached, I'm sure she would want to stay there for coaching.

She gets school PE credit for gymnastics. Her current ask is to keep going to gym and work out with the other injured girls on modified conditioning/weights through the school year. It will keep her connected, fulfill her school credit and (in her mind) give us time to change our minds if she is heeled by summer. Or it will give her time to accept the situation.

It was very strange to come home from work yesterday and see her home. Even when she has been in casts or whatever before, she has always still gone to gym every day.
Sounds like a reasonable transition period for her. She may come to agree with you but taking ti away suddenly could be really hard for her.

Very sorry to hear this. I can completely relate. My DD was 16 when she finally threw in the towel due to injuries. She is coaching now and really likes it, she hopes to continue coaching into college. It’s a great way to stay involved.
It is hard, hard, hard and not fair.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back