First Day as a Real Coach!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My first high school practice is Monday! :eek: I'm so nervous, but so incredibly excited to start coaching and give back to the gymnastics community. A lot of these girls have never done club (or ever had the chance, the closest clubs are an hour away) so the fact that I'm their main facilitator of the sport is empowering and terrifying at the same time!
I have leos and warm-ups picked out, all my workouts for the first week planned, lots of reference material from mini-congress & class notes, I just have to make a team policy handout and I'll be set! Oh, and figure out how to get a bunch of high school girls and their parents to respect a 20 year old sorority girl.

Parents: Would your perception of a young coach change if you knew she was in a sorority? It shouldn't make a difference, but Greek life has a bad reputation, so I'm thinking about not mentioning it at all, despite all the good it's done for me, my maturation, and my college experience.

No...I could care less if you were in a sorority or not.

Treat them with respect, always be the professional, and be their coach...not their friend.

When your gymnasts or their parents ask you question...tell them the truth. If you do not know...tell them that you do not know and you will find the answer for them.

Good luck! I'm in a similar situation, starting as an asst. high school coach as a young person who doesn't look much older than a high schooler myself and working with girls who have never done club- because the closest club teams here are also an hour away. I'm feeling a little intimidated, but at least I have a head coach to facilitate all of the big stuff. It sounds like you've really done a lot of work to get yourself prepared, now it's just a matter of putting everything you know into practice.
As far as sorority affiliation, I think it really depends on the school you attend. Of all the schools I attended Greek life didn't really have any kind of reputation, either good or bad, that would affect how they were viewed by parents of younger kids. However, some schools have gotten themselves into trouble in that department, so if there has been a big blow up surrounding Greek life at your university (which I don't think is likely) you might want to steer clear. I have been coaching at an all-star cheer gym for the past few months and the coaches would come in wearing their sorority t-shirts/sweatshirts and no one really thought anything of it. As long as you prove yourself to be reasonable, care about the girls and their safety, and work to be a good role model, I don't think extracurricular activities really matter all that much.
My brother (he's 25) has been coaching a HS swim team for the past 4ish years, and he's had a lot of fun with it. Just make sure to make your expectations clear from day 1 and follow through with it. Sending lots of good luck your way! Let us know how it goes!

However, some schools have gotten themselves into trouble in that department, so if there has been a big blow up surrounding Greek life at your university (which I don't think is likely) you might want to steer clear.

HAHAHAHA. A frat just got their charter from nationals taken away and their fraternal organization agreement with the university revoked after sending a pledge to the hospital where he was in the ICU for 3 days. It was national news. We also just had the porch of another frat house collapse during a party, which sent several people to the hospital.

katvernay, you're not from MD are you? Just kidding, even if it was on national news, I never heard anything about it! At any rate, I am the parent of a HS gymnast and I couldn't care less whether you are in a frat or sorority. As long as you are knowledgeable about coaching and are there to try to develop what you can in the short time you're given, I'll be your strongest supporter! Remember, you're not going to be able to accomplish too much. That's the frustrating thing about trying to coach gymnastics, it's such a tedious sport and YEARS are spent trying to develop skills!!! My DD's tryouts also start Monday and the season is basically over by the end of January, with the exception of the district, regional and state meets). It's a short, quick, intense season. Best of luck to you! I think you'll do just fine!

Practice is going AWESOME so far. The parents have been incredibly supportive, and the girls have been working hard. Just this week we got 3 switch leaps and a switch side on floor, 2 switch leaps on beam, a couple FWO and BWO on beam, CW-tuck dismount, CW-CW series, and drastic improvement in tumbling, especially FHS. (/brag)
Unfortunately, today I have to go and talk to the Major who runs the JROTC program because apparently they've been using the beams - with their combat boots on. Yes, the equipment is owned by the school, but it was partially funded by the gymnastics team & previous coaches, and is used for a varsity sport. I don't think anyone would imagine using the tackle sled without the permission of the football coach, but because it's gymnastics it is suddenly ok to ruin thousands of dollars of equipment?! (/rant)

Unfortunately, today I have to go and talk to the Major who runs the JROTC program because apparently they've been using the beams - with their combat boots on. Yes, the equipment is owned by the school, but it was partially funded by the gymnastics team & previous coaches, and is used for a varsity sport. I don't think anyone would imagine using the tackle sled without the permission of the football coach, but because it's gymnastics it is suddenly ok to ruin thousands of dollars of equipment?! (/rant)

It is very important in this case to make sure all equipment is brought back up to original quality. The JROTC program needs to pay for damages. If you do not put your foot down...you will get walked on at the school.

At our local high school...track and gymnastics share mats in some cases. This is the Athletic Directors choice...and it has always been great. Last year the track team decided they needed to use the vault runway outside with track spikes. They also used the competition landing mats outside??? They left all of the landing mats outside under the bleachers under the snow. When the budget was figured this year...there was enough money for new mats for gymnastics...I'm sure there was a bit less for track.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back