WAG First Dowel Grips Question - help make our decision?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Alie21

Proud Parent
Disclaimer - we are in Australia so the choices are limited!!

We have been asked to get proper grips now they are starting to do giants. Coach prefers buckle but doesn't mind which type. DD not quite 10YO weighs 32Kg is L5 training L6/7 (so L4 in the USA - we are around one level below)

DD claims to not like anything on her hands and is worried about loosing her hard fought for kip! So after a bit of research here I'm looking at Ginnasta USA double buckle, but the only option in Australia is for the wide palm (they don't stock narrow). Alternatively we can get single buckle US Glove Hot Shots in the narrow palm.

So what would be better for her? Is narrow palm that much narrower? She has rather broad palms compared to her friend and the Reisport ones we tried at the gym left around 1cm each side of her palms? Is this enough to still feel the bar? She rarely rips.

Or should I just bite the gymnastic bullet and get both types! Of course from two different online suppliers so double the post - ugh!

Or doesn't it matter that much and she'll get used to whatever I get?

Thanks for any help :D

Disclaimer - we are in Australia so the choices are limited!!

We have been asked to get proper grips now they are starting to do giants. Coach prefers buckle but doesn't mind which type. DD not quite 10YO weighs 32Kg is L5 training L6/7 (so L4 in the USA - we are around one level below)

DD claims to not like anything on her hands and is worried about loosing her hard fought for kip! So after a bit of research here I'm looking at Ginnasta USA double buckle, but the only option in Australia is for the wide palm (they don't stock narrow). Alternatively we can get single buckle US Glove Hot Shots in the narrow palm.

So what would be better for her? Is narrow palm that much narrower? She has rather broad palms compared to her friend and the Reisport ones we tried at the gym left around 1cm each side of her palms? Is this enough to still feel the bar? She rarely rips.

Or should I just bite the gymnastic bullet and get both types! Of course from two different online suppliers so double the post - ugh!

Or doesn't it matter that much and she'll get used to whatever I get?

Thanks for any help :D

what BookWorm said. :)

My DD (10) has only used the Ginnasta double buckle, regular width. Have never tried the Hotshots to compare, but she has had no issues with her Ginnastas, so no complaints. Soft-ish, easy to break in. Was going strong on Day 1. Her hands are long, likely on the wider side compared to peers (since they are also long and she is tall, so just overall bigger hands than other 10 year olds).

But good to know so many supporters of Hotshots in case my DD wants to try something new next time :)

I've heard nothing but good things about both brands. Lots of our team girls use Ginnasta and they have been great. All just have the regular width and they work fine, and some of our girls were very tiny when they first got them.

My little like the ginnasta narrow double buckle but they are almost identical to hot shots. Coach requires buckle.
We like ginnasta cuz they break in very fast, but you need to replace them every year. I tired to get her into a big girl grips but no go. Sticking with ginnasta for now.

Not sure about the brands, we have only used Reisport, but we've always just cut the grips down sightly. Not much, a half a centimeter or so shaved off on each side with an X-Acto knife, just enough to make them not rub on her other fingers. works like a charm. 9 years and upper optional and no issues.

Hot shots, hot shots, hot shots! My daughter had them through 7 years of level 10 and 4 years of NCAA...the only grip we ever bought.

I just looked these up on DGS and the site says that these are recommended for level 7+. My DD is a tall 10 yo (4'10+, 80lbs); but only a level 4. So would they not be good for her? I just got her some English Bulldogs; but they don't seem to fit her well and she hates them. At this point I'm willing to buy something else if they will break in faster and she won't complain about them so much. :eek:

Gymmie did Pixie's at Old L5 and new L5 at age 9 and 10, and then she moved to hot shots at 11 for L6 (she's really tall so had outgrown pixies)
I don't see any reason that a L4 or 5 couldn't use them unless they are too small for the smallest Hot shot size. We got almost year out of every pair of grips...but now she has 2 new pairs at a time to have pair A and B to rotate and then pair C as an emergency set. They have a rotation at their gym so they use Pair A on certain days, Pair B on other days and a day for pari C every couple weeks. (Her pair C are pretty crunchy, but she says they are fine as an emergency pair LOL)

I just looked these up on DGS and the site says that these are recommended for level 7+. My DD is a tall 10 yo (4'10+, 80lbs); but only a level 4. So would they not be good for her? I just got her some English Bulldogs; but they don't seem to fit her well and she hates them. At this point I'm willing to buy something else if they will break in faster and she won't complain about them so much. :eek:

My daughter wore Hot Shots from level 5 on up...we tried a pair of English bulldogs that were given to us and she hated them, called them "boxing gloves"

Our coaches picked their first pair as far as brand goes.

After that..... only requirement buckles. Velcro loosens and the kids fiddle with it. And they hate hate hate when the kids fiddle.

And there will be a break in period. And skills will potentially feel weird and not go as planned. Happened to our girls this summer. They all hated them at first. They are all pretty much over it and skills are fine now.

Coach even had them practice taking them on and off at home. Wearing them a home for a bit each day.

The learning curve/break period was differnt for each kid. But no doubt there was a break in period/learning curve.

My DD uses wide-palm double buckle grips -US Glove's RKO's. Has since she was 10 and level 4. She's tried others, but does like the wider grips. They break in quickly, and they lasted her about 1.5 years before breaking (mid-routine during a competition, mind you!).

Others are sold on the hot shot grips but we've had great success with the English Bulldog Kipper Grips - they are narrow and ours are single buckle.

Thanks all for the suggestions! Decided to go with the Hot Shots then found out the supplier is having difficulties and can't get them - bummer! Looks like $47 postage from the USA so that isn't really an option either.

So I can get a lightly used second hand pair from a girl who has outgrown hers? What do you all think of second hand grips??

Or I can get the leather cuff version designed for 32-54Kg girls (thicker leather). DD is just 32Kg, many of her teammates are far smaller than her and will be asking my opinion o_O

I'm starting to think DD will just have to suck up loosing her bar skills for a bit longer whilst she gets used to bulky grips - just not sure i can deal with her moodiness :p

English Bulldog's are no option here in Australia - just not available unless I want to pay extortionate postage!

What is your definition of "lightly used"? ...like the kid wore them for a day and quit ? If they're free, it wouldn't hurt to try them out...

I use Gibson Just Right Grips and they work great! They are good for younger girls with smaller hands. Totally recommend

I use hot shot double Buckle grips and I love them so much. Now I'm not sure they ship to Australia you would have to check, but the hot shot grips break in so quickly and I absolutely adore them. They are very thin to my hands and protect my hands from the bar very well :)

My tiny handed dd started with reisports because that's what her coach likes. Yes, they are bulkier, and she lost her kip for a bit when she transitioned. But wow, these grips have longevity! She has been wearing the same pair for 2.5 years. They have grown with her and she grew to love them. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back