Parents First ever meet report for my little DD

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momofthreegirls

Coach
Proud Parent
Today our gym had a "fun meet" for the developmental team track girls and boys at our gym.

My DD is 6 years old (and in Kindergarten) and learning level 3 and 4 skills. Their routines were modified versions of the level 3 routines (a few skills were added to beam and floor).

I was so nervous for my DD, that I felt queasy, and my hands shook while I held the camera. I hope I can get over this if she decides to stay in it for the long haul! My mother commented that she now understands why some sports parents get into such an uproar in the stands. She disagreed with DD's score on floor and was mad. (I disagreed, too, but what can you do?)

Floor - 9.3 She did great - didn't quite hold her handstand for the handstand forward roll, but everything else was beautiful.

Vault - 9.0 She did one of her best dive rolls ever. She was so proud. Ever since their class switched from a small springboard to a regulation-sized one, she has had trouble with making her hurdle long enough. (She is a shortie.) She did it great today.

Beam - 9.0 She didn't get her legs together on the handstand, and didn't hit vertical for her dismount, but otherwise it was great - nice pointed toes, no wobbles, and very poised.

Bars - 9.7 She did her best pullover, high tight casts, and awesome back hip circle. All the girls received a spot for their mill circles, since they just started learning them a few weeks ago. She had a little bobble on the landing, but it was a solid routine otherwise.

37.0 All-around
2nd on vault
3rd on floor
5th on beam
1st on bars

She loves her medal and ribbons, and she wished for a trophy. Lol.

After the meet, we took her to the mall, where they have those bungee trampolines. She was doing back flips, and had quite the audience. I got a kick out of the people saying "Look at that tiny girl doing flips!" They just didn't know she's a gymnast. :)

Thanks for reading. I'm one proud mama right now. I've never seen my DD so poised and with such concentration. She is certainly better under pressure than I ever was.

It sounds like competition brings out the best in your DD (eg: best vault and pullover). I think that's a real talent in itself. Huge congrats to her.

congrats to her! (and a 9.3 on floor for 3rd place is fantastic!)

Sounds like a great time!!! My dd recently started competing as well so we're probably on close to the same path. It's so much fun!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back