First Gold Medal for Little DD

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2gymmies

Coach
Proud Parent
What a great weekend! We had our second compulsory meet and little dd had a pretty good day! First was vault and if you remember, she is barely taller than the vault mat and we literally weren't sure if she would make it over at the first meet. Well, somewhere in the past couple weeks she has figured it out and she got a 9.25 for first place for the 6 & 7 year olds (and she's 6). Then came bars, great warm up made and connected everything (including that dreaded stride circle) but had a rough competition - crazy cast out of her front hip arched, legs flew apart and fell forward on to the bar so she couldn't connect her shoot thru. Also didn't connect her leg cut to her cast back hip circle - 7.85, no place. Beam was next and she did awesome - looked solid and tight except the tuck jump was pretty wimpy, she went really slow and was over time but still scored a 8.925 for second place. Next was floor and she was tight and really improved her details until she got to the roundoff back handspring - she had so much power out of it that she took 5, yes 5 steps and a leg flew up and everything. She scored a 8.275 and placed 7th. Her all-around was good enough to place 4th and was only 1 or 2 tenth out of 2nd!

She (and I) was so proud of her 1st place gold medal, especially since she is so small - awards were hilarious because when she stood up on the first place block, the girls on either side of her in second and third were both obviously taller than her, even though they were on a lower block!

Thanks for letting me share.

Last edited:
Bet that was really cute! I remember watching DD vault last year (at age 6)and just praying that she actually got up and over, at least at the beginning of the season. Sounds like your girl had a good time!

Congratulations to your DD! Great meet and gold medal is just an icing on the cake!
Reading about the 5 steps reminded me of a kid on our team that has so much power on her round off-back handspring, it looks like she has enough for an additional back handspring and she takes steps or even falls occasionally. The coaches keep telling her to walk, not run into her round off, it makes it less explosive and she is able to control it better.

that is so cute. Congrats to her and hope the next one goes just as well. she is obviously working really hard.

Awww. Big congrats to your DD. Sounds like she did a fantastic job. My DD has trouble with the shoot through. She falls back on it most the time. Your DD must be so proud of herself..and she deserves to be.

Congrats to your little one on a great meet :). I bet that she was sporting a fabulous smile on that award podium :). Way to go!

Yay for your little one! It's certainly a sweet victory to see your little one win vault. I have a little 6 year old too who went from not being able to vault at all, to dominating vault this year. She was the worst vaulter on her team and in a short time soared to the top. She won vault at every level 4 meet except one, state vault champ and averaged a 9.8 this season. She won many titles this season, but definitely seeing her win vault was the sweetest!

Well she can send some of that extra BHS power to my DD's...they definitely lack the power aspect of tumbling! ;)
I love that she rocked on vault. That is great and will likely help her as she moves on to level 5...my older DD always had an ok level 4 vault and she really struggled with the L5 vault.
She did great, and that is a really good beam score for a 6 yr old, many of them struggle with all the little details in that beam routine.
Congrats to her!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back