Parents First L4 meet report w/ surprises!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

starmaker

Well first meet of the season went good with some really big surprise! This was a judges cup and they gave out written critiques to take home.

She started on floor. This is by far her favorite event. She looked really good to me, but of course I am her mama. I saw a few mistakes but apparently there were many because she only scored an 8.225 which was good for 6th place in her age group 6-8 year olds. Her team mates took 1st and 2nd. The critique mentioned form issue, bent legs, bent arms etc. (basically everything but no large deductions just small)

Next up was her nemesis......vault! Now I mentioned earlier that our goal was to just get over and score. At training she is famous for running into the mats over and over again. At warm up she was looking good but of course coach was there lightly helping. She was first up, ran with her usual baby steps but had a good approach to the spring board and did a decent vault with little pike. She scored a.....get this.....9.125. 3rd highest in her team and good for 4th in her age group. Her critique mentioned....get this...Great Form!! Who would of known! lol! It also mentioned increasing her run. But we'll focus on the positive for now. Her first 9 and in vault nontheless!

Then it was off to bars. Her bars were great 4 months ago but lately has been very inconsistent with her very evil mill circle and dismount. Well she started her routine. Everything looked good until she did an extra cast before her shoot thru. She has never done that at practice. She told me after the meet that she doesn't know what she was thinking. I personally think she had some hestiation on the shoot thru and tried to buy herself more time....lol. The rountine was pretty good otherwise for her and she scored an 8.45 which was good for a 6th place tie. Critique mention big deduction for adding an element and archy casts (which is a bad habit she developed at old gym and still trying to correct).

Last but not least was beam. Beam was a big surprise too! She normally looks so good up there but not at this meet. She was wobbly from the very beginning. Never quite seemed to find her balance. She looked like she forgot her routine half way through it and fell on her dismount. She mounted the beam again and just tried to get over not sure that counted for anything other than more deductions. She scored and an extrememly low....7.1 :eek: ooch! Didn't think it was that bad! Of course she did not place. She ended 7th AA and her team took 1st! She was extremely happy and proud! The whole team went out for lunch and it was a great day!

Coaches talked to the parents and said there is still lots of work to do but they were proud! Olivia will not admit to disappointment but I know she will turn it around at gym. Competing usually acts as a great motivator and she will work harder. Coach is also rewarding every girl that scores a 9.5 or higher a free leotard of their choosing. This morning she said she IS getting a leotard. I told her well then you know what you must do...to which she responded work harder and focus.

I am uploading her videos now and will have them posted ASAP!! Thank you all for sending vault fairy. Now we need beam fairy at the next meet. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
She did great I think, one bad event doesn't make a bad meet. Nothing wrong with 7th place.

Can't wait for the videos

I love that you got a written critique of the meet. It is so hard to see the mistakes sometimes. I think she did really well for a first meet and I am positive that she will see impvoements at every meet. 7th AA is awesome in such a competitive age group. 1st place team is the best!

Gosh I have been waiting for this report all day!!!:)

Way to go on that 9 on vault!!!! Those other events are SURE to follow soon. Mid 8's on floor and bars is a great start for a judges critique meet and well, the beam is do or die. Once you are up there and not sure of yourself it can be really hard to recover!!! She'll do it next time I am sure with all the nerves of the first meet out of her way!!!!!

7th place AA is also VERY good...we would be VERY happy with that for our first meet....we will see.

CONGRATS!!! Can't wait to see the videos and see how great she did!

WAY TO GO!! Those are great results. She`s so young, and there`s a huge difference between 6 and 8, not truly a level playing field. 7th place is amazing!

We`d throw a party if Bean scored that well on vault:)

Way to go!! Especially vault! That's awesome! It is still early so plenty of time to work on things. That's great that you guys compete this early--it gives you a chance to get some critiques in and practice at competing. DD's first meet isn't till Dec 5th so we have a while to go. Congrats again and can't wait to see the video!!!!!

For her first meet, that's great, especially the vault! She'll just keep getting better and better I'm sure. Can't wait to see the videos!

Way to go!!

That vault fairy is nice to have. Can you send her back before October 3rd? :) I love that you got the critiques yourself. Ours went to the coaches but not to us.

Video posted!!!

Thank you all for your nice comments! Her new gym does things a bit differently than her old gym. At old gym they run routines ALL the time from the very beginning (caused Liv to get very tired of her current level quickly). I posted a sneak peak video of her L4 routines back in Feb. at her old gym. She hadn't run a routine again until maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago. Needless to say she had to relearn them. I think Liv just needs to run many more routines. Her gym also focuses more on uptraining because a few of the L4 girls are hoping to compete L5 in January. I am hoping after this weekend's meet they will focus more on running routines than uptraining. (I can't believe I am complaining about uptraining...). I am very happy with new gym and so is Liv (she loves the uptraining) and that's what's most important. Lets hope she peaks by states.

Here's her video:

YouTube - Olivia's First Level 4 age 6

Good job Olivia,

That is fantastic. I so love meet season... That is a huge score on vault. We have been at L5 meets last year where one or two 9+ were even given out. Wow...

Tell her to pick out which Leo she likes now so she can shoot for it...

Sean

She did wonderful! You must be so proud! She looked so grown up out there with her bun and pretty leo. Her vault score was great, and her others are very solid for a first meet at a new level. So glad she is happy at her gym. And congrats on first place team...that's always fun!!

Congrats to Liv! She did great. A 9 on vault at first meet is amazing. Good for her!!! She looked beautiful out there and I know she will just improve at each meet. Way to go Liv!!!

Just wanted to add, Abby's new gym is not big on routines a lot either. It is my only complaint with the gym and not even a big one. I think her skills and confidence, safety and progressing in a positive environment are much more important. Having fun is a good thing, too.

I love Liv's go get 'em attitude. I bet she gets that leo soon. :) She is very determined and hardworking. :)

She looked adorable! She did great. Especially on Vault. Great first meet of the season. To Abby and Olivias Mums - do your higher level gymnasts run more routines? Just wondered if your gym concentrates on uptraining and meet experience for fun at lower levels, then polish and routines and meet experience to win at higher levels?

Sounds like a pretty darn good first meet! Congrats to her. Love that the judges gave specific comments--makes it so much more helpful than a simple score!

WTG!!! Great 1st meet! The season has just begun, plenty of time & lots more meets to go. Tell Olivia to keep up the hardwork, she doin' just fine:D! A stong vault just starting out means A LOT!!! I see good things in Liv's future:vault:

Well first meet of the season went good with some really big surprise! This was a judges cup and they gave out written critiques to take home.

She started on floor. This is by far her favorite event. She looked really good to me, but of course I am her mama. I saw a few mistakes but apparently there were many because she only scored an 8.225 which was good for 6th place in her age group 6-8 year olds. Her team mates took 1st and 2nd. The critique mentioned form issue, bent legs, bent arms etc. (basically everything but no large deductions just small)

Next up was her nemesis......vault! Now I mentioned earlier that our goal was to just get over and score. At training she is famous for running into the mats over and over again. At warm up she was looking good but of course coach was there lightly helping. She was first up, ran with her usual baby steps but had a good approach to the spring board and did a decent vault with little pike. She scored a.....get this.....9.125. 3rd highest in her team and good for 4th in her age group. Her critique mentioned....get this...Great Form!! Who would of known! lol! It also mentioned increasing her run. But we'll focus on the positive for now. Her first 9 and in vault nontheless!

Then it was off to bars. Her bars were great 4 months ago but lately has been very inconsistent with her very evil mill circle and dismount. Well she started her routine. Everything looked good until she did an extra cast before her shoot thru. She has never done that at practice. She told me after the meet that she doesn't know what she was thinking. I personally think she had some hestiation on the shoot thru and tried to buy herself more time....lol. The rountine was pretty good otherwise for her and she scored an 8.45 which was good for a 6th place tie. Critique mention big deduction for adding an element and archy casts (which is a bad habit she developed at old gym and still trying to correct).

Last but not least was beam. Beam was a big surprise too! She normally looks so good up there but not at this meet. She was wobbly from the very beginning. Never quite seemed to find her balance. She looked like she forgot her routine half way through it and fell on her dismount. She mounted the beam again and just tried to get over not sure that counted for anything other than more deductions. She scored and an extrememly low....7.1 :eek: ooch! Didn't think it was that bad! Of course she did not place. She ended 7th AA and her team took 1st! She was extremely happy and proud! The whole team went out for lunch and it was a great day!

Coaches talked to the parents and said there is still lots of work to do but they were proud! Olivia will not admit to disappointment but I know she will turn it around at gym. Competing usually acts as a great motivator and she will work harder. Coach is also rewarding every girl that scores a 9.5 or higher a free leotard of their choosing. This morning she said she IS getting a leotard. I told her well then you know what you must do...to which she responded work harder and focus.

I am uploading her videos now and will have them posted ASAP!! Thank you all for sending vault fairy. Now we need beam fairy at the next meet. :)
Good Job Olivia!

wow what a great way to start of the year. Love the idea that the judges give critiques! congrats on the first meet! Our first Level 5 meet is supposed to be the end of October.

Good luck at your next meet.

I think she looks fantastic! She really does have such great form for a 6 year old. You can tell that she is definitely going to have some 9.5s in her future. Great great job on vault. If she can fix her run, she will have an amazing vault. How funny that was the one event you were concerned about! I really thought floor was great too. There are just a few things to fix and she will be well into the 9s. And beam is just beam - you never know when they are going to fall off. Otherwise, she was not too wobbly at all - just needs to fix her leap and jumps so they aren't so tentative.

Have to say also - wow, has she ever grown!! She looks so much taller and more mature from the vids you have on your youtube account.

Our gym doesn't do routines much either. When Lily did L4, she had not done a single routine until a couple months before the first meet and you definitely could tell! Liv looks amazing for this early in this season. She is such a talent!

Meg

Thank you all for all the nice comments!

Meg, I agree with you that her floor has lots of potential. She just needs to fix some little details and she may do very well. And beam well....she has a love/hate relationship with beam. Some days she is just loving the challenge of the beam other times she looks punished up there...lol. Her leaps and jumps are very weak in both floor and beam. I am still puzzled as to her jumping issue. You would think with such strong legs she would be able to jump! I guess it has nothing to do with muscle and more technique or natural ability. I am hoping her jumps will improve as she grows. It may also be a developmental thing. Oh well, I am excited to see her imrovements from meet to meet. I guess starting with a 32.9 AA gives her plenty of room to see improvements from meet to meet. I'll keep everyone posted on her progress and meets as the season goes.

You would think with such strong legs she would be able to jump! I guess it has nothing to do with muscle and more technique or natural ability. I am hoping her jumps will improve as she grows.

Don't worry, they will. Lily's jumps and leaps were very weak at L4, particularly on floor (who knows why? one would think it'd be beam), but she has really made a lot of improvement and her split jumps and leaps are markedly improved. She is even getting that funky L6 side leap. Lily is not a natural jumper either, so clearly it is technique. Liv has the flexibility to have truly gorgeous leaps and jumps and she will get them when she learns the technique and overcomes her fear of falling off the beam.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back