Parents First L4 meet report w/ surprises!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I agree that she has so much potential. She reminds me so much of Abby's friend that is the same age as Liv. Same body shape/type, same beautiful form and flexibility and raw talent. I know that when things all come together for them, they are going to rock. I keep telling her mom to just relax because when she does get out there and compete and starts putting it all together, she is going to look amazing out there. :) I know Liv will as well.

She looked adorable! She did great. Especially on Vault. Great first meet of the season. To Abby and Olivias Mums - do your higher level gymnasts run more routines? Just wondered if your gym concentrates on uptraining and meet experience for fun at lower levels, then polish and routines and meet experience to win at higher levels?

I am not sure how things go really since it is the beginning of the season. I have no issues with not running floor a lot, they do do it in parts but only put it together once in awhile, which seems to work for most of the girls. Abby really dislikes the new music and wishes they were using the old music, which I think makes it a bit hard for her to love floor.

I think they do focus a lot on polish and little things at her gym, just still not sure that Abby is capable of putting it all together yet. There are no set scores for move ups and they really seem to cater the move up process to the individual gymnast. Team is medium size I would say and the coaches really seem to know the gymnasts well. Her gym is solid at the compulsory and optional level (have had quite a few gymnasts get full rides for gym). I really am so happy with her gym and she is happy and thriving, so that is what matter to me.

I think they do focus a lot on polish and little things at her gym, just still not sure that Abby is capable of putting it all together yet. There are no set scores for move ups and they really seem to cater the move up process to the individual gymnast. Team is medium size I would say and the coaches really seem to know the gymnasts well. Her gym is solid at the compulsory and optional level (have had quite a few gymnasts get full rides for gym). I really am so happy with her gym and she is happy and thriving, so that is what matter to me.

That's almost exactly how it's done at Liv's new gym as well. They run it in parts with all the little details. Lots of hands on- making sure they are nice at tight, fix form, posture, hands etc. They just don't seem to run from beginning to end very often. I am curious now as to how many gyms have this method vs. running routine after routine every practice. They too have no set scores for move ups. It's on an individual basis which I like because last year Liv was stressed about getting a 36 so she can move up to L4. I am not even sure if she fully understood what a 36 meant or how to "get" it. She just knew she needed one. It was a very stressful time. I would tell forget about the score and try your best. And then she would go to gym and all the focus was on who has a 36 and who doesn't. There was even hostility between the girls. I too fell just like you, Mariposa, I am happy with the gym and as long as Liv's happy and progressing then all is good!!

I have to say old gym was at this meet and they did really good. They were in a different and they too won first place! So it seems both methods work.

so darn pretty!!!! After watching the videos, I really don't understand the floor score??? Her RO BHS is waaaaay prettier than my almost 9 yo's!!!!:) That should have been higher! She is going to have a great year...I predict many high scores in the near future!

Was it Ok seeing her old gym at her meet. That must feel quite strange.

Way to go Liv!!!A great start into the season,she picks up her run on vault and she will be getting her 9.5.I also thought the fl score was low it looked really good to me,the beam can be tough one she tried hard to muscle over her dismount.Thanks for sharing the video!

so darn pretty!!!! After watching the videos, I really don't understand the floor score??? Her RO BHS is waaaaay prettier than my almost 9 yo's!!!!:) That should have been higher! She is going to have a great year...I predict many high scores in the near future!

Thank you so much! I was stumped on her floor score too! I thought it was pretty and the score was very low. I know she fell on beam and has weak jumps but a 7.1....it was one of the lowest in all sessions combined. It hard to believe it was one of the worst beam routines. Every time I go to a meet I realize I know nothing about judging gymnastics.

Here's a little girl at the same meet: YouTube - Aloha Judges Cup 2009

Watch her beam and floor routines. How do you think they compare to Liv's? I'll reveal scores later....

Was it Ok seeing her old gym at her meet. That must feel quite strange.

Well gymnut, I am still friends with many of the old gym moms. And after seeing Liv's beam score they all said had Liv stayed at old gym she would of never ever scored a 7 in anything. I started doubting if I made the right decision, if new gym has better coaching, program etc.

Once everything settled I KNOW I made the right decision. I know Olivia is much happier at new gym and I have faith she will progress at her own pace with negativity from her coaches.

Old gym's HC and coaches want Liv back and relay the info through the parents they know I still talk to. It is just not the right environment for Liv. And I confident she is at the right gym.

We will compete again in two weeks and old gym will be there again.....

Is the other little girl from x-gym? She is super cute and also 6 yo I assume?

Watch her beam and floor routines. How do you think they compare to Liv's? I'll reveal scores later....

I watched her routines and thought that they were pretty close to Liv's. She does have a better split jump on the floor and also I think a slightly better back handspring, but otherwise I would have said they were very close and Liv's bridge kickover is much nicer. I think Liv was way underscored on floor. I would have said both routines should have scored around 8.8 or so. The second child's routine looked really really similar to Lily's first L4 routines and she scored in the 8.8-8.9 range consistently.

As for beam, the second child did nail her dismount and I think her tuck jump was a bit better, handstand also, but Liv's scale is much much better. Again, I think Liv was absolutely robbed with a 7.1. Even with the fall, she should have scored in the low 8s. As for the other girl, I'd say in the neighborhood of an 8.6? Again, the routine looked a lot like Lily's L4 beam routine.

The things Liv needs to fix are really the small things. In compulsories, the devil is in the details. The more she practices and competes the routines, the better she will do. And in the end, Level 4 is Level 4. In the long run, it's more important that she be uptraining and doing the strength work that she is than that she practice routines endlessly. I'm sure that they will concentrate more on the routines now that the competition season has begun. And since she's at a gym that doesn't have a move up score, she doesn't have to stress about that.

Good luck to Liv at her next meet! I am sure she will rock and much improve those beam and floor scores!

Meg

I think Liv loses alot of small deductions at the moment with 'stumbly feet'. You can even see her almost stumble going up to bars just walking along. Her ballet will really help her feet. I think her knees are good in general. Every time she does a tiny stumble or extra step she loses 0.1. Same for not pointed toes. It really adds up. The other little girl is supercute too - she looks even younger than Liv somehow. She has beautiful feet, naturally pointed and it lifts every move she does. Liv is supertalented. She will do just brilliant this year.

Ok the little girl is acutally a year older than Liv but much smaller. She's as cute as a button too! They competed at several meets together last year.

Liv has great flexiblity all over her body except her toes. She does not have that nice point or arch to her feet. At old gym they would have her try walking with her toes bent under her. She has not done that since. Don't know if that would eventually make a difference or not.

Megley, I agree her ROBHS was better as well as her split jump but everything else was relatively similar. Here's her floor score: 8.65 vs Liv's 8.225

As for beam I think the other child had a weaker leap with a big booble she rushed through some of the poses almost skipping some completely, her scale was also almost nonexistant, she had a great handstand and dismount. She scored: 8.825 vs. Liv's 7.1. that's almost a 2 pt difference....:confused:

I know should stop comparing but I am glad I had someone to share this with.

Thanks again, guys! You guys are great!

Wow, she is a tiny 7 year old! She does have a beautiful toe point. Not sure what you can do about Liv's point. To some extent, they are born that way I guess. Lily has always had high arches, tiny feet and a very nice toe point. I'm sure the ballet will help.

It wasn't a huge scoring difference on floor. I am sure that Liv will easily score in the 9s by the season end. I seriously don't understand her beam score. I would have thought they made a mistake and put up a 7 instead of an 8! Even taking out the fall, that is still a 7.6 compared to an 8.8. I am not a judge but I would not have said that routine was worth an 8.85.

Meg

It is impossible to compare with scoring. Abby's vault score was one of the lowest in the meet as well and I saw many that were really pikey or just didn't look as good as hers did to me, can't understand her vault score still, but that is the crazy sport of gymnastics for ya. LOL.

I wouldn't worry about scores if you really feel she is at the gym that best fits her. I feel the same way about DDs gym. Though with Abby, it really isn't her gym right now that isn't teaching her the right way, it is just that I don't think she can put it all together at meets still yet. All kids mature differently, I think she is just a late bloomer. LOL.

Liv really did beautifully. We watched her again and she has all the pieces, and I bet her scores go up over the season. :D

It is impossible to compare with scoring. Abby's vault score was one of the lowest in the meet as well and I saw many that were really pikey or just didn't look as good as hers did to me, can't understand her vault score still, but that is the crazy sport of gymnastics for ya. LOL.

I wouldn't worry about scores if you really feel she is at the gym that best fits her. I feel the same way about DDs gym. Though with Abby, it really isn't her gym right now that isn't teaching her the right way, it is just that I don't think she can put it all together at meets still yet. All kids mature differently, I think she is just a late bloomer. LOL.

Liv really did beautifully. We watched her again and she has all the pieces, and I bet her scores go up over the season. :D

Mariposa, I know I should not compare scoring or routines but I couldn't help it.:rolleyes:
I just curious and wanted to better understand. The first thing Liv's coaches told the parents was to not pay too much attention to the scores. I tried but Liv had an early a.m. session and as the day went on the scores were higher and higher. I thought it was just my imagination but I guess not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Liv did AWESOME. As for the scores, I have seen and heard that the scoring is usually tougher earlier so they have room to go from. DD another L4 watched both sets and she pointed out lots of little things that weren't hit in the beam routine that probably made the score difference. Yes I know I am listening to another 6 year old but there were little places the arms or leg didn't hit that could have made the difference. Liv did AWESOME and her scores are only going to go up and through the roof.

As for routines we break them down early in the season and then from Jan to states we are doing full routines all the time. Right now each girl has to be approved with hitting everything as the coach wants before they can go to the next section. DD was working full routines on beam but most of the team were on the second segment. It all depends on the coach and their lesson plan.

As for up training our level 4's only up train the practice after a meet. DD goes and up trains once a week with the next level which has its good and bad. She is now learning the next level routines and I am so afraid she is going to mix something up in a meet.

Lastly don't forget this sport is so subjective we will never be able to figure it all out. If it wasn't for DD I would have missed most of what she pointed out. Now she said if she was near us she would be happy to assist her. LOL out of the mouth of babes.

I think her beam score was low too but I think it might be due to the first handstand where she fell. A judge might tell us but I think (looking in the deductions book) she would have clocked up deductions for the handstand - like failure to hold straight body position 0.2,1/4 turn incomplete 0.1, failure to hold at vertical for 1 sec 0.1, possibly failure to attain vertical handstand up to 0.3. These deductions are on top of the fall deduction of 0.5. That would easily account for a mark or more from just the first dismount. There may have been 0.2 or so on the repeated dismount too. I think she was unlucky with being so early in the session. They were probably playing by the book more.

I'm not sure how to strengthen her feet. I wouldn't want a child to walk around turning their toes under. Lots of high releve walks and holds for as long as possible, ballet definitely. You can also stretch her feet out to a nice point gently when they are warm and try and get her to hold it - best done when sitting in pike sit. Also sitting on a chair and going to high releve and hold is good. She has loads of time to tighten up. It is hard not to compare. We all do it! Best of luck for the next one!

Wasn't criticizing, just saying how impossible it is in gymnastics. It is one of the frustrating/confusing parts of gymnastics, the scoring, very hard to figure out. That one day your routine can be better yet score lower and vice versa is hard for parents to understand and even harder for the gymnast for sure.

Abby was first up on beam of the whole day and I bet that had she gone later in the day and done same routine, she would have scored a little higher, LOL. Still was good for 2nd place though, so who knows. She had an 8.6 and was pretty solid, but doesn't hold her dismount handstand long usually at meets because she is afraid of falling to the wrong side. I missed the first half (was told it was beautiful though) and what I saw looked good. :D

I definitely think her beam was underscored, especially when comparing it to the other girl's routine. And I think that dismount weighs heavily on the minds of the judges as well.

We really will never figure it out and just when you think you do, something will happen that changes your mind. LOL.

Mariposa, you are so right about the judging. I am really terrible at figuring out what the scores will be on any particular event and it varies depending on which judge you have. We have a really nice little old lady who judges beam and we all call her our "easy beam judge" because she will give high scores even when the girls fall off. Then we may get another judge who scores super hard. The same routine could score as much as .5 different depending on the judges. The only good thing about this is that at least everyone is being judged by the same judges. So if floor scores are low, at least most everyone's scores are low. I do think it's true that scores go up as the meet goes on, though, and I also think your are right that the beam dismount sticks in the judges' minds. I wish we'd been able to see Abby's beam routine. It sounds as though it was great! She will soon get more control over her side hs and then her dismount will improve greatly.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back