First Meet as a Coach- Yikes!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So in my years of coaching, I've always managed to be the in the gym help that doesn't need to go to meets and participate in all of the stress (oops, I mean fun...) associated with the process. I'm pretty comfortable playing a background role in most aspects of my life, so hearing all of the girls stories come Monday was essentially good enough for me. But alas, I am now in a position where going to meets is part of my job description and come Wednesday I will need to face the whole experience head on (I am the assistant coach for a HS team, thus the mid-week meet). The girls don't seem to be too worked up about the meet as most of them have done it before and the atmosphere is pretty laid back- or at least that is what I'm told.
So I'm just hoping for the best and a good, safe experience for all involved!

good luck !!! I have my certification & the only time I have ever had to be on the floor was @ one meet for about 1/2 because HC was sick & running behind & a few min during open stretch @ States once when she needed a bathroom break. I am fine not being out there for a meet. someday my luck may run out as well.

I am sure it will be fine as they are older girls who have as you said done this before !!

can't wait to hear about it & hope your ankle is coming along.

Good luck! I am sure you will be a fantastic "meet coach" :) I do dance with the team girls at DD's gym and the HC asked if I would consider training to help coach the L4's next year. I said I would as long as I don't have to go to meets! LOL I also just want to be a spectator and Mom at meets - DD isn't responding so well in my dance classes on Mondays, so I am not sure if I want to push it any further.

Have a great first meet coaching and let us know how it goes!

Im sure everything will go just fine. You might just see you enjoy this "head" role...lol. Keep us posted on how it goes.

coachmolly: From your posts, it is clear you are kind, knowledgeable, have great coaching instincts and a love of gymnastics that will benefit all the gymnasts you work with. That says "meet coach" to me! Good luck Wednesday.

Thanks so much to everyone for the kind words and encouragement! Practice was rough last night, but I'm hoping it's just them getting the pre-meet jitters out of the way now rather than waiting until the actual meet. I'll be sure to report back with how it goes!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back