Parents First Meet in October and its a travel meet..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

Ex member

My oldest dd has her first meet in October and it is a travel meet (around 250 miles away), it will require a hotel stay (being sorted out on our behalf - we just have to pay) and dd will get her first club/competition leotard.

We have a meeting up and coming to discus details and have been asked to think of any question we want to ask - as a complete newbe to travel meets can anyone think of anything I should ask as I don't want to ask any silly questions - any tips would be great.

Will she travel with the team or will you go separately?

If that is a suggestion for a question that I should ask - thanks I will ask at the meeting

If that is a question that you are asking me then I am not too sure - I think some people are traveling up on the Friday before the meet and staying all weekend as their child is competing both days (Saturday and Sunday) - we have boys and girls attending the meet and they are competing both in the Trampolining competition and the Gymnastics Artistic competition - My dd is competing the Artistic competition only so we don't need to travel up there until the Saturday.

I think we are staying in the hotel as a team unless we are able to arrange our own accommodation that might be cheaper like a Travel lodge or Premier Inn.

In our travels I just needed to know when dd was competing so we would know when to book the hotel cause you want to book early. Also when you book the hotel make sure they you can cancel with full refund just in case plans change. Have a great time -its exciting :)

You might want to ask if there's a meal (or 2 or 3) that the team is expected to have together- bonding sort of thing. Our optional levels are huge into bonding, so we do lots together when we travel. Our compulsory girls don't travel as much and I know the girls usually eat together after their session(s).

Good luck :)

Yes, there is one team in our area where the team is expected to stay in the same hotel, and are told which night(s) they have to stay over. We can make our own arrangements for hotels and/or decide we're going to drive early in the AM or late in the PM rather than stay over. You should also know who to call if there's a last-minute emergency (car breaks down, DD wakes up sick, etc). If you are staying in a hotel with a swimming pool, you may want to ask whst the policies are about swimming before a meet. That's been a hotly debated topic here on CB, but some coaches o have strong feelings about it. Of course there are meet basics like how they want your DD's hair done and how early they expect her to be there.

Other than the ones already listed-
1. How did they decide on the hotel? Is it one suggested by the host team? Is there a discounted rate because of that? Does it have a free breakfast? If so, Continental or Hot? How much is parking at the hotel?
2. How far is it from the hotel to the meet site? How much is admission to the meet? Do you have to pay for parking there?
3. Does this meet typically run on time (if the gym has been there before, they will generally know if the meet is known for being on-time or early or notorious for running late).

Thank you very much for the replies

Wow!! you have all given me a lot of questions to write down that I haven't even thought about.

I think from what I have heard is that the Hotel is booked by British Gymnastics and it has been discounted before we have been given the cost, the prices are for Family Rooms, Twin Rooms etc. - all the same price I think.

This is all a bit sudden as dd hasn't been doing gymnastics very long but this is something she really wants to do (she is nearly 10 so she is old enough to have some input on it), she is competing at the lowest level (I think she is doing the Special Olympics Routines Level 1 for Floor, Beam, Bars and Vault - these routines can be viewed on the internet). Dd is a bit nervous about it as she doesn't think she will do well, I have told her that I am very proud of her for even giving it a go.

Raenndrops hit on most of the questions I would have asked. The only other thing might be to see if any of the other families want to carpool. The ride to the meet can be a great bonding experience (for the girls as well as the parents) and can save a bit of $ when buying gas.

BTW...a few tips for traveling that far for a meet-
1. Pack a sewing kit
2. Don't forget hairspray,extra pony tail holders, and bobby pins
3. Bring extra batteries for your camera - just in case
4. Make sure to have cash - you'll use it

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back