Parents First meet in the bag!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

That’s great! Congrats to your DD!

I’m a fellow newbie. My DD (5 yo Level 2) has her first meet in a few weeks. I have no idea what to expect, but she’s super excited!

Bring lots of snacks for awards and know that the actual meet is pretty fast paced and easy to miss things.
Thank you! This is helpful. My daughter has a backpack as a part of her team uniform. Any advice on what goes in that?? She doesn't have grips or anything yet.

Thank you! This is helpful. My daughter has a backpack as a part of her team uniform. Any advice on what goes in that?? She doesn't have grips or anything yet.

An easy-to-eat snack. A water bottle. And flip flops or some other shoes that are easy to slip on if she needs to run to the bathroom. It's unlikely she will need hair ties as you will have all that stuff ready to use in case of hair emergencies in your OWN mama meet bag (which should include hair elastics, an extra scrunchy in your team's required color, bobby pins, snap clips for stray locks of hair, a comb and a brush, and got2bglued hair gel AND hairspray, for the gym mom who does NOT fool around :D) She will need to be able to put her warm up jacket and leggings in the meet bag, but she may also need some socks if her feet get cold between rotations. Some of DD's teammates have stress-relief/relaxation essential oil blends to sniff also if they become nervous between rotations. My DD has done fine without that.

An easy-to-eat snack. A water bottle. And flip flops or some other shoes that are easy to slip on if she needs to run to the bathroom. It's unlikely she will need hair ties as you will have all that stuff ready to use in case of hair emergencies in your OWN mama meet bag (which should include hair elastics, an extra scrunchy in your team's required color, bobby pins, snap clips for stray locks of hair, a comb and a brush, and got2bglued hair gel AND hairspray, for the gym mom who does NOT fool around :D) She will need to be able to put her warm up jacket and leggings in the meet bag, but she may also need some socks if her feet get cold between rotations. Some of DD's teammates have stress-relief/relaxation essential oil blends to sniff also if they become nervous between rotations. My DD has done fine without that.

Apparently I had more to learn than I thought... :eek:
Thanks! This is super helpful and will now become my shopping list before her meet!

Apparently I had more to learn than I thought... :eek:
Thanks! This is super helpful and will now become my shopping list before her meet!

Also to add in your mama's meet bag: an extra phone charger and snacks and water for yourself. AND buy the cell phone with the best camera and most memory that you can afford. :) You may also find it useful to keep a sports stadium seat or cushions for uncomfortable meet venues you wind up at... At one of DD's first meets the swag they gave away was LITERALLY a folding foam cushion that has proven useful on meets where parents are made to sit on bleachers. We thought it was for her, but soon realized the cushion was for the parents!

I'm tempted to say "a flask," but I have been at this a while. At this point I often bring a little work along with me. There's no point in watching warmups. Either they will go badly and stress you out, or they'll go really well and then the kid will miss/botch the skill in the routine. (Yes, I did happen to catch his hi bar warm up in which he did the most stunningly beautiful endo he has ever done in his gymnastics career, why do you ask?)

I'm tempted to say "a flask," but I have been at this a while. At this point I often bring a little work along with me. There's no point in watching warmups. Either they will go badly and stress you out, or they'll go really well and then the kid will miss/botch the skill in the routine. (Yes, I did happen to catch his hi bar warm up in which he did the most stunningly beautiful endo he has ever done in his gymnastics career, why do you ask?)

A flask, a red Starbucks cup filled with "coffee". Anything. I do bring a book, sometimes work. Snacks, water, book, charger. All good things.

Congrats on the first meet! I love meets, they are so fun to cheer on the kids and I get to hang out with the other team parents. They are wonderful and I dont get to see them much.

My daughter's meet bag will have a snack like applesauce packet, fruit snacks, or a beef jerky. Something light and quick. She never is allowed to eat until awards. But she appreciates it then.

She will have a water bottle. Her grips and tiger paws. Tan colored tape and prewrap. Hair and body sparkles. Just in case a team member wants some. Her relaxasaurus vitamins, because her teammates always ask her for one. A hair emergency kit with a brush, clips, scrunchie, ponytial holders, a travel size hairspray and gel. Glasses cleaner and wipe (she wears glasses). A pair of slides. A squishy, stuffed animal, or other trinket that she believes brings her good luck that day.

And very important..nail polish remover wipes. Someone always forgets.

My bag includes cash, water, lots of it, stress makes me thirsty. Ibuprofen. Phone charger. If I have her younger brothers with me then I add enough food for an army and enough entertainment for a classroom.

My favorite meets are the ones at my city's convention center as there's a full bar on site. :D

Ha! We might go to one of the same meets. My favorite meet is the one at the convention center that has a beer and wine garden, but it's only open after 4:30 pm so I always hope DD draws the evening session! We're also limited to two drinks per adult and have to drink alcohol in the designated drinking area. Fortunately, open warm ups last long enough to imbibe two small glasses of wine and socialize, and it's enough to keep me happily buzzed until awards. :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back