MAG First meet in the books

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

momto2js

Proud Parent
We survived our first meet of the year, and it went well for us. 2nd AA by .2 is a good start, especially after leaving swings out on high bar. But the cherry on top of a good meet was the coach finding me to rave about my kids... wait for it.... focus and leadership with his younger teammates. He also met and had a good time with kids all over. In the end the actual gymnastics was a sideline to the "other stuff".

The awards for a session of 108 took 98 minutes!! The division of levels was really confusing for awards, but in reality not too much had changed, a clean base routine still can outscore one with sloppy bonuses, and there were lots of sloppy bonuses!!

Awesome! (Sorry to hear about the awards though.) What level is your ds? How many levels/division were in the one session?

nice going! That was a Loooooooong awards ceremony! Hope they figure out easier ways :)

And I always love the non-gymnastics compliments like that. That will get your boy a long way!!! Congrats to him :)

Reactions: sce
Wow, that is a really long awards ceremony. I hope they get more efficient once we get used to the new divisions. Your first meet is early in the season, our compulsory boys have their first meet in early December, but optionals don't compete until early January.

You should be very proud of your son - particularly for coaches feedback on his leadership skills. Very thoughtful of the coach to come find you and tell you that!

He is a 5. I'm not sure why a parent looks at the schedule and sees 108 and knows it is going to the FOREVER and the meet directors think, level 4s and 5s don't take that long. We started warm up at 8am and walked out at 230. That is a really too long.

that is way too long. I remember when D was a 5, and he had a state meet that took 6 hours and regionals took 8. After that, they broke them into 2 sessions. That is entirely too long for a meet :(

He is a 5. I'm not sure why a parent looks at the schedule and sees 108 and knows it is going to the FOREVER and the meet directors think, level 4s and 5s don't take that long. We started warm up at 8am and walked out at 230. That is a really too long.
That is super long! How many age groups per division were there? How far out did they place?

The 5 with bonus had 3 age groups I know my kid had 9 in his and it was a last minute split. The program only had 2 age divisions. There were 19 or so originally. This meet goes 100 percent. It truly is parental hell.

The 5 with bonus had 3 age groups I know my kid had 9 in his and it was a last minute split. The program only had 2 age divisions. There were 19 or so originally. This meet goes 100 percent. It truly is parental hell.
100% on events too?!? That is parental and gymnast hell. who wants to get last place medals?

Congrats to your son! We had our first meet this weekend too and the divisions really make awards drag on. We only went out a few places on each event (maybe 4 or 5?) and it still took forever!

Our compulsories are at a Judges' Cup today. I can't wait to hear what our program director has to say when I catch up with him later in the week! He is not a fan of long awards ceremonies.

So, apparently there was an age grouping issue with all events last weekend. Surely resolved by this weekend.

I don't know. Just found this on the website of the host gym:

Thanks to all who supported the annual Judges’ Cup Fundraising meet. Coach J worked with USAG headquarters to resolve the age grouping issues that were experienced by all Men’s events last weekend. The results for the Judges’ meet have been corrected and medals ordered for those who did not receive their medals at the meet.

Reactions: sce
At ours the posted groups covered a BIG spread. Like 6 to 9 and 10 and up. I think they try to keep them not more than 2 just because the difference on maturity. Awards were given based on 3 groups instead of two in the end. I'm sure it was confusing when award time came around

I don't know. Just found this on the website of the host gym:

Thanks to all who supported the annual Judges’ Cup Fundraising meet. Coach J worked with USAG headquarters to resolve the age grouping issues that were experienced by all Men’s events last weekend. The results for the Judges’ meet have been corrected and medals ordered for those who did not receive their medals at the meet.

I just looked for those results. A few things I saw; no 15-16yo level 9s and how is JD scored? I thought it came out if a 10.0. I see scores in the 11s.

No clue. I am sure that is one of the many kinks that need to be worked out. this is really a "training" meet for new judges, so hopefully they will figure it out.

Pretty sure some organizational/session confusion is stemming from the original announcement of JD as having L8, L9, and L10 and the later clarification that it's just two age groups. But that shouldn't affect compulsories. Our coach warned us to expect scoring screw ups this year, particularly early in the season. He just succeeded in getting all of his L9 guys properly listed as L9 for the first meet (rather than L8) and got his JD guys set to compete with the L9s instead of with the L8s so he doesn't have to do an extra session. Still waiting to see if the older JD guys will be put with the 9s or 10s . . .

So, they can do that? request that kids be put in certain sessions? how will that affect scoring/placements if other boys in the same age group are in the L8 Session?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back