Parents First Meet of the Season (L8)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Granny Smith

Proud Parent
Yesterday was dd's first meet of the season. There were 14 girls in her age group (13 yr old). I was nervous and relaxed all rolled into one, this is her 2nd season at 8 (for those that don't know or remember). Before the meet I told her it didn't matter what she did at this meet, what's more important is what she has been doing in gym - she is coming along so nicely. I didn't want her to feel the pressure.

Well, of course she started on beam - why, why, why... She mounted, stuck her BHS-BHS series. Her full turn, God only knows what happened. She under rotated and almost fell, then she lost her balance and put her hands on the beam her 1 leg came down toward the ground. She didn't fall, but the damage was done. Basically she lost a full point for that blunder. She's back on track... hit her switch leap/split jump/2 footed BHS. Also solidly stuck her FHS. Dismount RO/layout. Score 8.475 no placement - knowing the deduction for the full turn, being a point, she would of had 1st without the fiasco. Oh well, full turn c'mon. She hits the hard stuff and blunders the turn, not normal but whatcha gonna do???

Next floor. Can't wait to see her routine, really hear her music for the first - oh the excitement! Well, I think she really sold her routine. She looked great. They (coaches) did some changes to her routine, dancy stuff. I thought her full turn with her leg up looked pretty good, I know she got deductions for it, but I thought it was one of her better ones. 2nd pass was FHS-FLO-FT, good as usual. Her final pass was the half/punch front. For the most part she hit every landing, she did step out but it was very controlled. A beautiful first time competing the routine, even coach said, she sold the routine! Score 9.525 - 1st place

Off to vault. Even though she was competing the same vault as last year, I was still very, very nervous for her. Vault is not her thing! I've always said, if we could just pull a high 8, that would be like a 10 for her!!! Well 1st vault she basically stuck with a small step, that I really couldn't see because the coach was of course in my way. They should think of their angles before standing where they do, don't they realize that we parents are trying to video - geez louise! 2nd vault, well who really cares, she landed the first - no just kidding, but not really. She tried to make whatever corrections coach told her and she ended up landing short and put her hands down. I think her 2nd vault looked better with the exception of the landing, but obviously the score came from the 1st vault. Score 8.9 (this was her highest score ever with the Yurchenko) 1st place, YES, I said first place. The dazed and confused look on all of our faces... I don't expect this for when we go to the bigger meets, but hey we'll take it now! (If she can pull a high 8 with all of her other events being as strong as they are, then she will be fine!)

Bars was last. Bars, bars, bars! I was just hoping for a clean routine. Was it her best, no definitely not, but it worked for the day. Pirouette looked really nice, she piked onto the bar clear hip was fine, definitely did not go to HS, but thankfully she has enough power in her tap to make her giants, no problem. Flyaway was fine, small step on landing. Score 9.325 2nd place.

AA - 36.225 1st place. It was a solid meet and she was SO relaxed and you could see it. She was all smiles and looked to be enjoying herself. Since there was just the 2 of them, there were no team awards for them.

Video to follow shortly...

I was thinking about her yesterday, wondering how she was doing. WOW!! :eek: What an awesome meet she had! She must be flying high today. She is going to rock this season!! Tell her congrats! :D I can't wait to see the videos!!

Wow well done. That sounds amazing! Can't wait to see the video - she always has gorgeous leotards and I know she got a new one! That floor score is jaw dropping for the first time out with that routine.

THose are some seriously wonderful scores and placements. Yay for that vault medal! SO glad it all went well for her. That full turn can be such a killer at times, kind of like that squat on on bars!

Nice to hear she was able to feel so relaxed.

Wow!! What a way to start the season!!! So happy for her and can't wait to see the video. She really rocked this meet. Obviously the new floor routine is perfect and she knows how to make it shine. :) Imagine where she will be when she doesn't fall on beam! And what a way to show them after having a hard first event. :D

And your comment about the coaches being in the way of the video just cracked me up. I have thought that several times and laughed about how silly I am being, but it was funny to hear someone else say it. :D

that is just awesome. Congrats to her for a wonderful meet!

What a great start to the season! The floor score is impressive especially for the first time out with her routine!

An awesome meet! Congrats!!! K's teammates are all having trouble with their turns on beam. Starting tonigt, they are going to have to climb the rope everytime someone falls off a turn, lol.

Great job! She did awesome! That stupid full turn gets a lot of girls even the elite...I just hope our 1st meet goes so well..Can not wait to see the video.. her floor must be beautiful!!!

I think we all think like this, sometimes even the Judges can be in the way! :p

And your comment about the coaches being in the way of the video just cracked me up. I have thought that several times and laughed about how silly I am being, but it was funny to hear someone else say it. :D

It has given her problems in the past, but she just tries to work through it. It wasn't until I was putting the video together last night that I realized that she also fell on her 2 footed BHS. I was so caught up in the full turn fiasco that I didn't even realize she fell a 2nd time! Oh well, it didn't matter... ;)

An awesome meet! Congrats!!! K's teammates are all having trouble with their turns on beam. Starting tonigt, they are going to have to climb the rope everytime someone falls off a turn, lol.

She'll do fine, she is a lovely gymnast! Once they get the 1st meet gitters out of their system, it will just flow. I wish she didn't start on beam, maybe things would of went differently - but I guess someone has to start on that event (it always seems to be my kid! :rolleyes:)

Great job! She did awesome! That stupid full turn gets a lot of girls even the elite...I just hope our 1st meet goes so well..Can not wait to see the video.. her floor must be beautiful!!!

In our state a 32 would definitely qualify you for sectionals, heck I believe it is only a 30 that qualifies you here, so 32 is a good score, especially for a 1st meet. GL, take a deep breath and hop on the roller coaster....

Great job!!! My DD is doing level 8 for the first time this year i hope to get out of the first meet with a AA32. LOL

Good job!!

Congrats on a great meet . . . and I loved your account of the day. Totally cracked me up! and YES, I think they should take into account camera angles! I hate the meets where the beam is in front of the floor and the vault is behind the bars . . it's like UUUGGGHHHHH!

I'm looking forward to the video!

awesome way to start her new season:) Wow... on those scores and I can't wait to watch her floor routine. Off to watch the video and those full turns.... mmmmmmmmmmm... pesky little buggers on beam:) She did awesome:) You must be proud and congrats on the new high on Vault and 1st place:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back