Parents First meet--what do I need to know?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Oh and make sure you have enough memory space on your device to get all the events, pictures, videos, awards, pic with coaches at the end, etc. my advice would be though to splurge and buy the event pics/videos by the meet photographer. Since I started doing this, i enjoy watching my dd performing live, not through the screen of my camera trying to get just the right shot.

You've been given a lot of great advise already! Fully charged camera with lots of memory space, extra charging stick for phone. Lots of cash. Be aware that you cannot talk to her during the meet, even if she falls, even if she is crying, once you hand over to the coach that is it.
One thing that surprised me a lot about the first meet is that there is not real announcement about what is happening. After open stretch and march in, you will see them warming up on their first event, then they will start competing for real without any kind of announcement. You have to watch close. When you see one girl salute you know they have started for real. Us mom's that sit together are always like "oh wait, have they started for real? I think they have.. do you know? , is this for real?" LOL b/c we are always chatting and not glued to every second of warm up, LOL especially on vault and bars where they warm up the whole routine generally and not just parts of it like on beam and floor.
Good luck and have fun!!

Make sure to know how your daughter feels about you sitting by the beam...
I am NOT allowed ANYWHERE near it. I went ahead and bought myself a tiny little camcorder that I could zoom in, because I'm typically near the far end of the floor from beams.
Or better yet - when you walk in, just ask her where she'd like you to sit :)
Don't ask if she'd be nervous with you in front of the beam - if she hasn't thought of that, no need to tell her!

Not sure if this is typical, but our gym has a strict no nail polish policy at meets. If yours does as well then just remember to remove any prior to the meet, and it's not a bad idea to keep polish remover pads in the gym bag in case you forget one time.

I also remember not knowing what shoes they are supposed to wear, and not realizing that I didn't know until right before we were leaving. Turns out they go barefoot, so I didn't have anything to worry about. Seems that some gyms have their girls wear flip flops.

Is it really not?

I've always been told no polish, but when I watch gymnastics on tv, the girls' nails are usually painted. Is that the difference in USAG and FIG?

My daughter joined the level 3 team this year, and her first meet is next weekend. I've never been to a meet (or any kids sporty thing, for that matter). What should I expect? Anything I should/shouldn't bring? About how long do these things last at this level? (I want to make sure I bring enough knitting)
You will sit there for approximately four hours to watch your kid actually compete for about a total of two minutes lol

That said, bring things to do. Be prepared to cheer on all the girls on your DD team. Cash is king. Be prepared to be begged for raffle tickets. Bring a stadium seat if you have one. Bleacher butt is painful. Bring snacks of you don't want to eat hot dogs or chips or nachos. If you have a younger child let them play on their tablet if you have one.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back