WAG First meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It sucked.... Missed my connection on beam, ended really early on floor, shoulder hurt during vault..... Hope next weeks meet is better

It sucked.... Missed my connection on beam, ended really early on floor, shoulder hurt during vault..... Hope next weeks meet is better

Frustration is the Mother of Invention. Set a goal for the meet after next and work like you only have a week, and see how much better you do then compared with this past meet.

Frustration is the Mother of Invention. Set a goal for the meet after next and work like you only have a week, and see how much better you do then compared with this past meet.
What's really frustrating is that I didn't get the scores I deserved.... On beam I missed my connection so i was down 5 tenth but I got an 8.0 my other 2 teammates missed there connections and fell and got higher scores.. And on floor one of my other teammates forgot her floor routine and got an 8.7 and mines was really good and I only got an 8.9 .... Even my coach was confused, she said she is going to look at my routine and see if we did something wrong but she said I should have gotten higher scores

The judges can sometimes get it wrong, so ignore the odd scores you'll get from time to time. Your real focus has to be on what you've done and how that compares to two weeks ago and how you'll do two weeks down the road.

Your coach really should review the routine to make sure you're fulfilling all the requirements you're able to with the skills you have right now. One possible discovery may be that you're not doing a particular skill the way it needs to be done to get full credit. If that happens then work honestly with yourself and your coach to get the skill the way it should be. Perhaps she'll find something that's missing, and if none of the skills you've learned will fill that gap, you have to decide with her if there's something you can learn and add to the routine that will have a positive impact.

It's ok to want to be the highest score at a meet, or on your team, and even to set your sights on somebody who always scores a bit higher than you, and then work the best you can to pass them by...... as long as you remember the outcome is up to your performance and how the judges happen to view the way you do things. So never focus your post meet angst on anyone you're competing with, or against, and stay away from saying anything to them about how the judges got it wrong. Take it up with your coach and trust her advice.

Let it all come down to how hard and wisely you work and spend your time in the gym. Then you can trust that your season long gains are as good as they can get..... and that alone is worth a smile.

You will have meets like that. Get that shoulder checked out to make sure there isn't a major problem and work hard. Good luck next meet!

Judges can DEFINITELY get it wrong... I saw a L3 floor routine Saturday without a back handspring... the splits weren't all the way down and the toes weren't pointed and she had to put her hand down on the "wrong side," she had bent elbows on her back roll to push up, and a myriad of other problems. I would have given her about a 6.85 ... she scored an 8.65 (4th highest on the team and .05 higher than my gymmie who HAS her RO-BHS and straight arm back roll, etc.

Then we had a bar judge not give my older gymmie credit for a cast to at least horizontal... when coach inquired, judge said she arched and because of the arch she didn't hit horizontal... on High bar, she did arch, but the vault that should have counted was on LOW bar - no arch... hit horizontal... I have the video. Judge said she likes to score tough at this point in the season... tough is ok, but to take away a SR for no reason is ridiculous!

My shoulders ok it's just inflamation in my growth plate and rotator cuff nothing that I can hurt more

She did look over them beam score was right because of how bad I wobbled on certain skills

Floor tho was wrong, she said she would have given me a 9.3 at least oh well...

I'm not a coach, just a mom-and you've already gotten a lot of good advice from coaches. Here's my take-set a goal for yourself for your next meet-less wobbling on beam and making your connection, for instance and work from there. You can't let your confidence get wrapped up in how you scored or how a teammate scored-you will drive yourself crazy and fall out of love with gymnastics. Focus on YOUR own goals and your own abilities and be proud of your accomplishments over the course of the season. One meet isn't your gymnastics career-it's just one step of your journey! Hope the next meet is better!

My girls had a meet on Saturday and many were disappointed with scores- lower score for a better routine, lower score than a teammate/competitor who fell, not getting credit for requirements they thought they made, all kinds of stuff. Different judges look for or like different things and sometimes even a routine with a fall can score higher than a "hit" routine that had lots of small deductions.
It's early in the season, so use this as an opportunity to motivate you to really fine tune all those little things and work with your coaches to make sure you are getting credit for all of your requirements. Ensuring connections are made, jumps and turns are fully rotated, all those tiny things that can really add up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back