Parents First Meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Going to our first meet in 2 weeks!
DD feels good about it. Just usually nerves. She doesn’t compete until a Sunday so we are going watch and support our team on Saturday to calm the nerves on see how things are set up , work, score boards, etc to calm the unexpected things.
Our teams higher levels compete on Saturday so that will be so fun to watch and cheer on as well.
As far as age , do they keep as close as they can when competing? Or if there is not enough in that age group do they have a big gap?
What have your seen? Or not seen?

RE age gaps it depends on your kid’s age. Usually it’s a bunch of groups of approximately similar age, and then a catch all “everyone else” group for people who are far above the normal age range. If you’re in that upper most age group there might be pretty big age difference — I’ve seen 13/14 year old looking girls competing with much younger kids in that age group.

In general, the girls from the same gym/level, regardless of age, compete in the same session but they give awards out based on age groups. The age groups for level 3 could possibly be something like 7 and under, 8, 9 and then 10 and older. It really depends on how many girls and ages are competing.
Sometimes, the level and session can be split up by age but I've rarely seen that happen except for at state meets. For example, all 8 and under level 3s compete in one session and 9 and over compete in a different session.
It is definitely a great idea to check out a meet before the first competition. We did that when my dd was on pre-team.

Age groups are equally split up by the amount of girls in a session. So if there say 30 girls in a session, it would be 3 groups of 10 Ch, Jr, and Sr. The bigger the session the more complicated the age groups are. Ch A Ch B Ch C, Jr A Jr B, etc.

Age groups are equally split up by the amount of girls in a session. So if there say 30 girls in a session, it would be 3 groups of 10 Ch, Jr, and Sr. The bigger the session the more complicated the age groups are. Ch A Ch B Ch C, Jr A Jr B, etc.
Ok that is what we might have bc the session she is in has 96 girls and 2 flights. She is flight B.

In general, the girls from the same gym/level, regardless of age, compete in the same session but they give awards out based on age groups. The age groups for level 3 could possibly be something like 7 and under, 8, 9 and then 10 and older. It really depends on how many girls and ages are competing.
Sometimes, the level and session can be split up by age but I've rarely seen that happen except for at state meets. For example, all 8 and under level 3s compete in one session and 9 and over compete in a different session.
It is definitely a great idea to check out a meet before the first competition. We did that when my dd was on pre-team.
Thanks! Glad I’m not the only one who saw the logic in this I was like I’m not trying to be weird just want to know what to expect.
There are 96 girls this session and 2 flights. She is flight B. That seems like a lot of girls kinda why I was wondering about the age breakdown.

Since you are new flight B will be the second group. How it often works is… let’s say she starts on Beam. Flight A will warm up on the beam first. Then when they are done warming up they will start their routines. While that group is competing — the B flight will start warming up on a different beam. The B group will compete on the beam they warm up on. The judges will come to them.

And with the ages. While they are competing you may have no idea which girls are in her same age group. Or you may know the list of names — but have no idea which girls though are.

Sometimes you can find live scoring that will show what place everyone is in so far (by age group). Sometimes you can’t and have no idea.

Hope this helps!

I'd suggest not doing this. IMO it ruins the experience of watching your kid compete.
I agree many people enjoy the meet more when they aren’t looking at rankings/scores live.

I’m kind of neutral. When I watch I’m more looking at the range of scores rather than the rankings. We compete against a lot of the same teams frequently and so you kind of get a sense of the scores are a little higher or lower than “normal” and it helps me sometimes understand the scores for my DDs team a little better. Even that tough isn’t really that important.

And I would say there are a lot people like JPC that find it more enjoyable or to really watch scores or rankings at all. To each their own!

I agree many people enjoy the meet more when they aren’t looking at rankings/scores live.

I’m kind of neutral. When I watch I’m more looking at the range of scores rather than the rankings. We compete against a lot of the same teams frequently and so you kind of get a sense of the scores are a little higher or lower than “normal” and it helps me sometimes understand the scores for my DDs team a little better. Even that tough isn’t really that important.

And I would say there are a lot people like JPC that find it more enjoyable or to really watch scores or rankings at all. To each their own!
Honestly, I look at the scores obsessively and hate it — but I can’t stop!

Lol, we see the same teams a lot, and we see the same judges a lot too. When YG was competing, she had a certain judge she wanted to see at beam. Her first year at Xcel Gold, this judge gave her a personal best score on beam in one meet. Then, the next meet, she was at beam again and YG improved her personal best by 0.10. Ever since then, YG competed her beam routine with more confidence whenever it was that judge. Of course, she did NOT want that same judge on vault because she gave her her lowest score on vault her first year as a Platinum (8.3) and her second year too.
Her last year pre-Covid, she had a wish list of judges for each event - in rank order, lol. In one meet, she got her first or second choice on 3/4 events. The floor judge was a judge she didn't want on ANY event. Floor was the only event she didn't get a personal record on.

Honestly, I look at the scores obsessively and hate it — but I can’t stop!
Bahaha this makes me feel better. I sat watching this thread for a good 24 hours and kept shaking my head and thinking to myself, "How on Earth? Is he really not checking scores online 8 billion times during the meet? I mean yeah I'm sure I'd find it more enjoyable that way but how could i find the willpower to avoid it?"

Bahaha this makes me feel better. I sat watching this thread for a good 24 hours and kept shaking my head and thinking to myself, "How on Earth? Is he really not checking scores online 8 billion times during the meet? I mean yeah I'm sure I'd find it more enjoyable that way but how could i find the willpower to avoid it?"
Yup. One year our meet put the standings up on the score board, and I bet that must have been stressful for the gymnasts.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back