Parents First Rip Help please

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD got her first rip yesterday. She was proud and scared at the same time. It is about the size of a dime on her left hand. I can see the beginning of about two more on her right hand. What can I do to help her. She did about an 1.5 hours of bars on Sat and about 30 more minutes on Sunday. No front hip but we have a rip. Any suggestions as to how to treat her hands.

I am pretty sure there has been a past post about treating rips. I am sure there are many that are more qualified to help in that area. I know that a couple big things to prevent them is to moisturize. You can also use a buffer (like for manicures/pedicures) to remove the biggest part of the callus which is the reason a rip occurs. My DD is only 6 but we keep her calluses buffed down because she has NO interest in getting a rip. I think when the girls are older it become a rite of passage but not at this point for my DD.

In regards to getting a front hip... I posted something in another area about a trainer that I used with DD to help her get her front hip circle. You should check that out and see if your DD can try it in the gym to see if it helps.

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/skills-drills-forum/14590-front-hip-circles.html

Congratulations on you first rip!!

Our girls usually hold a wet tea bag on the rip for a few minutes. It can be warm or cold. DD's coach says that the tanins in the tea help to take the sting away and help the rip to dry out and heal quicker. After that, we put some antibotic ointment on it and leave it uncovered.

Congrats on her first rip. It is a rite of passage it seems.

Anyway, I was totally confused on rips care when DD got her first one. Here is my thread on it, had some great info. I decided to treat it like a burn and that made a big difference in how I decided to treat it. http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/parent-forum/10835-rips-care.html

I use a moist healing type bandage. Not at the gym, but as soon as she gets home, we wash it with THIS and then I put THIS on it. I got it at Walgreens. I cut a piece just a little bigger than the rip. I stays on for at least a day usually, then I put another one on and by the next gym day they are usually better. It lasts a long time because they are big sheets. It keeps the rip clean and allows for moist healing, like with a burn. Make sure to clip the extra skin off as well.

Hope she gets over her first rip quickly. There will be more to come, but I think they get used to it. We also file any calluses she develops and put Bag Balm on her hands after we do that.

The thing that I use on her is similar to the DuoDerm referenced in this article, great article on rips.
Frederick Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back