Parents First Steps

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymbletot

Proud Parent
Hi everyone! I'm a new gym mum in the UK. My daughter started recreational gymnastics for an hour a week in late April when she was 5. She turned 6 in September and picked up an extra recreational class a week about a month ago (after having to wait for a space to open up for a while).

She is loving gymnastics so much and learning lots of cool things (I am a complete newcomer to the sport so probably easily impressed ). She loves the bars the most and would probably spend all day every day doing back hip circles right now if she didn't have to go to school.

She is doing well (she is very strong, in particular, but also has decent flexibility, no fear and is very determined) and has a trial session with a more advanced group of 6/7 year olds on Thursday (they do 2x 2hrs a week I think), when the head of WAG at the gym is going to 'have a look at her'. The more advanced group is taught by her current rec coach and he thinks she's likely to be a good fit.

Daughter is mostly just excited that she gets to spend an extra 2hrs in the gym this week and definitely wants to do more. Are there any questions I should be asking at this stage or is it ok to just keep going with the flow for now?

Hello, how exciting for your daughter, I hope the trial goes well. I don't think you need to ask questions yet, definitely go with the flow.

Things that help - make sure your daughter arrives on time with tidy hair and earrings/jewellery removed.

Things you can do at home (if she wants to) - Work on flexibility and get a chin up bar for chin ups and leg lifts.

This is a (mainly) US forum so remember that gymnastics in the uk is a much cheaper experience than it is there. Most of our gyms are run "not for profit". Although you will still have monthly fees and sparkly leotard costs if your daughter gets into squad.

Hello, how exciting for your daughter, I hope the trial goes well. I don't think you need to ask questions yet, definitely go with the flow.

Things that help - make sure your daughter arrives on time with tidy hair and earrings/jewellery removed.

Things you can do at home (if she wants to) - Work on flexibility and get a chin up bar for chin ups and leg lifts.

This is a (mainly) US forum so remember that gymnastics in the uk is a much cheaper experience than it is there. Most of our gyms are run "not for profit". Although you will still have monthly fees and sparkly leotard costs if your daughter gets into squad.

Thank you :)

I'm glad I have mastered the Dutch braid - it's the only way I can keep her wispy hair up :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back