Parents first time competing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

newmom

Proud Parent
My dd made team and next month she has her first competition. What does she need to take with her when she is out on the floor waiting? Do the kids take a gym bag to put stuff in? Does she need water or snacks just in case? She is excited to compete in a few weeks but I am nervous that I don't forget something. any advice?

Congratulations on your daughter making team. Good luck to her this season. Most girls will carry a backpack with them into the competition area. Their coaches will tell them where to put them. Our Gym does not allow any water or food in the backpacks or in the competition area. When the girls are ready to warm up, they put their leggings, jackets, shoes etc. in their backpack. Many of the girls will wear slides that are easy to put on and off. The girls can also keep their grips, tape, hair supplies etc. in their backpacks. Our gym has a very detailed handbook that explains what should and should not be in the backpacks. You should check with your gym as to specific requirements for meet days. Enjoy the season!

@Greatlakesmom hit the nail on the head but I'm just going to add, check the bag situation with the coach. Sometimes, especially with younger girls competing lower levels, people find it easier if the coach has a communal bag and all the gymnasts put their stuff into it tp prevent them losing stuff, forgetting something at another location, getting distracted with the contents of their bag etc. Good luck!!!

We have Water Bottle, snacks, extra hair supplies and her good luck angel (Amma watches from heaven!) She puts her clothes and grips in there after warm ups etc. I would agree with the others ask the coach if drinks and snacks are allowed as that component could vary.

Our bags are an extra leo, extra hair ties/bobby pin, water, easy snack, flesh colored tape and grips if they have them. They will put their warm ups and such inside them. I have never seen a kids have to use the spare leo but I guess the coach has.

My dd never eats snacks or drinks during the competition, however there is sometimes a long wait between their last event and awards, and those snacks definitely come in handy then!

If your gym doesn't provide a list I would recommend packing "in case" items like: extra leotard, hair brush & ties, water, non-messy snacks, etc.

Thank you for all the replies. I will check with her coach and see what we need. I was hoping at least water just in case she does need a drink. I am hoping her bun holds ups to all the flipping.

Congratulations on your daughter making team. Good luck to her this season. Most girls will carry a backpack with them into the competition area. Their coaches will tell them where to put them. Our Gym does not allow any water or food in the backpacks or in the competition area. When the girls are ready to warm up, they put their leggings, jackets, shoes etc. in their backpack. Many of the girls will wear slides that are easy to put on and off. The girls can also keep their grips, tape, hair supplies etc. in their backpacks. Our gym has a very detailed handbook that explains what should and should not be in the backpacks. You should check with your gym as to specific requirements for meet days. Enjoy the season!
I can’t believe you’re not allowed water, I would not be happy for my dd to have a competition last 3+ hours and be told no water, I’m actually shocked a gym would do that.

Use a little hairnet over the bun and multiple Bobbie pins and there shouldn't be a problem.

I can’t believe you’re not allowed water, I would not be happy for my dd to have a competition last 3+ hours and be told no water, I’m actually shocked a gym would do that.

I think the philosophy Is the following. Most competition venues have drinking fountains or water coolers available for the athletes to access. The coaches are concerned that water in backpacks may leak onto warm up jackets, grips, etc. or on to other backpacks or on the floor where gymnasts are walking. My daughters compete for a large gym and honestly have never complained about it.

I think the philosophy Is the following. Most competition venues have drinking fountains or water coolers available for the athletes to access. The coaches are concerned that water in backpacks may leak onto warm up jackets, grips, etc. or on to other backpacks or on the floor where gymnasts are walking. My daughters compete for a large gym and honestly have never complained about it.
ahh that’s a bit different maybe, our girls only access to water is the bottle they bring with them. When my dd competes after every piece of apparatus she goes straight and has a drink. Never had any issue of them leaking.

For little ones, I recommend puzzle books.There is a lot more down time at a meet than at gym. If she is first on an event she may be sitting to the side for awhile with the coaches still focusing on her teammates.

Thank you for all the replies. I will check with her coach and see what we need. I was hoping at least water just in case she does need a drink. I am hoping her bun holds ups to all the flipping.
Have her wear her competition bun or hairstyle for a few practices before her first meet. That way she can practice with what it feels like and you can practice with her you need to fix it to make it tighter if it falls out !

Have her wear her competition bun or hairstyle for a few practices before her first meet. That way she can practice with what it feels like and you can practice with her you need to fix it to make it tighter if it falls out !
This.

Our gym does a mock meet. With judges and full meet dress. 2 reasons. Kids have a baseline of their scores and know what they need to work on based on judges feedback (which helps because validation for the coaches corrections). And so they are used to what they are supposed to do and how their leos fit and feel, How to get warm ups on and off quickly Get used to their hair etc.

If your gym doesn't do this. Practice at home. Much like at our Kindergarten orientation long ago, we were told to let the practice using their lunch boxes, pencil boxes, opening their own lunch drink containers. Do the same with her gym bag. Make sure she is familiar with what is in there, which pocket the stuff is in. Learn to work in and out of the bag. So when warm up comes off it should go right into her bag, not on the floor.

And send her to gym practice with competition hair. To get her used to it and to make sure it stays put for the whole meet. Typically if it can withstand a full practice it will be fine for a meet.

Finally 10- 20 tee-shirts, warm up jackets, legging, capris, nike gym shorts, for the same gym, all look alike. If your meet stuff is not monogramed. Label your kids clothes. A sharpie with intials on the label works well. I spend most of my time at sign in, for our end of year program labeling the rec kids clothing as this is their first experience with a "uniform" usually tee shirts and shorts for march in.

As to what we keep in my daughters bag.

Water (yep she hates water fountains and I don't blame her) nice and cold, in her thermos.

Snacks (no nuts, we have kids at our gym with severe nut allergies). Again, snacks that will hold up and not get sticky or crumbly and make a mess, in a small bento type box with cool pack. Things like apples, grapes, beef jerky, turkey, salami,cheese sticks, maybe a hard boiled egg white with hummus, a bagel and cream cheese in quarters). She gets a few good luck Hershey kisses (not allowed to eat during meet, kids had a candy fest at a meet a few years ago, they were on a sugar high, coach almost had a stroke).

Tissues, napkins, hand sanitizer or travel wipes.

Hair brush, extra bun donut and scruntchies, bobby pins, hair ties/bands, travel size hair gel and spray. An extra leo (not comp leo cause I don't have an extra couple of hundred dollars sitting around).

Small first aid kit/rip kit, including tape grips if she rips. Lots of athletic tape.
Her Ipod now phone (which also contains a copy of her music, after compulsories, don't "assume" the person with the music will always make it, delays/illness happens) and ear buds.
Her USAG membership card.
PJs if the meet is going to be a late one. Change of clothes if its a long drive home.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back