Fitness & confidence

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our kids are in 5th and 7th grade in the same school. In Health and Fitness class, they test the kids fitness level at the beginning of the school year, and then again at the end. Both of our kids are very active in sports (Flipper in gymnastics, her brother in baseball, soccer and track). Yesterday, both were tested on pull-ups. The teacher indicated that they HOPE each kid can do one, and would be delighted with two. (Seems like we did more then that when I was young, buy maybe I'm just so old I've forgotten!) My sons legs are in much better shape then his arms, but he managed to do 3 pull-ups. Said the 7th grade best was 6. Asked the Flipper how many she did - 20, but she said the last two were getting hard. Flipper said she is looking forward to the mile run testing on Monday because she is confident she'll do well. I LOVE that gymnastics not only gets our kids in great shape, but also gives them confidence!

That is so awesome !!

The do a mile fun run @ DD's school but whenever gets to do it. The do it in late fall, first thing in the morning. Cold and running are two of her asthma triggers, so she walks behind everyone with her teacher !

That is awesome!! Congrats to them!!!

My kids' school has a mile fun run also each fall called "The little Toot Run" (their school theme and mascot are trains). They also do a physical assesment test 2 times a year where the results are analyzed and sent home to parents. It's a pretty cool thing to get--I guess it is comprable to the Presidents Physical Fitness Test awards that I used to do way back when in elementary school.

i ve found gymnastics helps health and fitness im in a boy and girl class and i could do more pressups than many of the boys and i evan had a shouulder injury and the sit and reach test i did better than anyone the taches had taught before as i got my chest completly flat on my legs and hands way past feet while most kids couldnt evan touch their toes. it meakes me feel very confident seens as im not a longdistnace runner something the often test.

if I remember, the national average for pullups is typically around 1.

Way to go Flipper! That is awesome! I used to do the President's Physical Fitness Test back in school but out here, the elementary school just started doing it two years ago. My daughter was in 4th grade and a level 4 on team and she was the only girl in fourth grade that won the Presidential level award! Two other boys in fourth grade also won. My step-daughter would more than likely won presidential too but she couldn't test because of a broken collar bone. There were more kids who came in at the National level. In 5th, both my daughter and step-daughter won Presidential along with about 20 of their classmates.

I agree with you about the benefits of gymnastics!

Our middle school also does the Presidential Fitness award. Last year my daughter and a team mate were the only girls in 7th grade to be awarded the highest level. Don't remember how many boys got it. DD holds the school record for pull-ups for 12 year old and 13 year old girls.

Our middle school also does the Presidential Fitness award. Last year my daughter and a team mate were the only girls in 7th grade to be awarded the highest level. Don't remember how many boys got it. DD holds the school record for pull-ups for 12 year old and 13 year old girls.

We did the presidental fitness test at my school last year! haha, everyone was griping and complaining about having to do it and i was all excited about getting to show off :) I now hold the schools record for girls in pull-ups. For push-ups, the girls could do "girl push-ups" (ugh, hate that word!) and boys had to do regular push-ups. I was the only girl who chose to do regular anyways, and i beat all of the girls doing the modified push ups and most of the boys! All the boys were really mad at me, lol.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back