Flairs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
Anybody have any tips for teaching flairs on mushroom? I have a couple guys learning them for level 6 who just can't seem to get the feel for the rythm.

Personally, I think that a good flair starts with a good planche. From there, work circles that open to a planche on the rear, and the natural hip circle will happen, and much like teaching 1/4 circles to 1/2, etc... They will catch on.

By no means does that mean you need a planche to do flairs, I just. Like how they look with full extension.

My L5 is small enough I can handspot the motion. Again I'm focusing on hip extension in the front of the circle on mushroom besides floor mushroom besides counterturned hips.

He does have a very poor straddle and split. Probably ain't helping.

He already had the idea of flairs before which is probably not helping as well. I prefer to have him start a few circles and then open his legs when circling besides hand spotting the motion with him on mushroom.

I've seen flair machines on the web but never in person.

http://drillsandskills.com/skills/pig/A/pha002

have them do spindles 1st. when they can do them pretty well then have them do spindles with their legs straddled. a natural mechanical progression takes place.

then you are able to teach them the over and under of their legs.

have them do spindles 1st. when they can do them pretty well then have them do spindles with their legs straddled. a natural mechanical progression takes place.

then you are able to teach them the over and under of their legs.

Interesting... how's this work?

I'll definitely give it a try; with the new routines, I hadn't bothered to spend much time on spindles with them, but perhaps I should.

I've been teaching flairs with pretty much the same method that I teach mushroom circles. I have them do flair drills: 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full on the floor mushroom. I don't let them move to the next spot until they show mastery. Once they have a good mastery of the drill, I have them a circle (or 2) and then a 1/4 flair drill, and so on through the drills. At that point I take them up to the mushroom to do circle, flair, circle.

This seems to have worked pretty well for me. I do end up spotting some of the flairs, but not many. I also don't let my gymnasts begin to work flairs until they can show me 10 floor mushroom circles.

I have heard of these flair machines, but have never seen one. Does anyone have a photo or video?

No video and I didn't see it in any gym supply stores from a google. It used to be a contraption based on a pully system.

I can imagine your drills from the flair on floor but I'd love to see a video since didn't you do one earlier for floor circles. *hint*hint*

10 floor mushroom circles. Hmm, Erik can now do 3. He can do 10-20 on a mushroom but it all depends on the day ( days with him dealing with acid reflux tend to be poor days in general ). He still has issues with placing his hands at the back end of the mushroom which is right before he spins off.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back