MAG Flexibility training

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
My son had a trial for a MAG gym today. They were impressed but because he’s not been in a mini squad he isn’t as flexible as they’d like or able to hold levers for as long as they’d like.

They’ve asked to see him again in 6 weeks and sent him away with a home training programme.

Any one got any gems to help with conditioning encouragement and great ways to improve flexibility?

I recommend working on both static and active stretching. Static stretching is when you hold a position for 30 seconds to a minute and active stretching is when you are constantly moving. Both are very important. Some examples:
Static: Holding a split, pike, or straddle are all static stretching.
Active: Kicks, pulses, or lunges are all active stretching.
Now for encouraging your kid to do his conditioning, I would not push too hard! If he truly wants to get better and truly loves gymnastics, he would do it without reminder. So if you don't see him doing his conditioning just give him a slight reminder but don't force him to do it.

I recommend working on both static and active stretching. Static stretching is when you hold a position for 30 seconds to a minute and active stretching is when you are constantly moving. Both are very important. Some examples:
Static: Holding a split, pike, or straddle are all static stretching.
Active: Kicks, pulses, or lunges are all active stretching.
Now for encouraging your kid to do his conditioning, I would not push too hard! If he truly wants to get better and truly loves gymnastics, he would do it without reminder. So if you don't see him doing his conditioning just give him a slight reminder but don't force him to do it.
Thank you. That is all great advice. I think he’ll want to do it himself - he’s quite motivated. It’s got to come from him!
I just want to make sure I support him the best way I can.

Can I piggyback off of this? My son is pretty flexible in regards to his splits, pancake, etc. But his bridge is lacking, bless his heart. I know his coach's goal is for him to do Future Stars in the fall, if he is ready for it. He has decent shoulder flexibility too I believe. His biggest issue is his bridge. I've seen how they are "supposed" to look, but he has a very rounded shape and his back just won't arch that much, he's not very bendy. Tips on improving his back flexibility/bridge?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back