WAG Floor music question - cutesy/young/older/serious?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ali'sMom

Proud Parent
I have a friend whose daughter is picking her L6 floor music.
Daughter is aiming at "cutesy" (Papa Oom Mow Mow). She is cutesey, she wears pigtails, has a very animated face/expressions. But she's 11, and will use this music for 2 years. Mom likes "Diamonds are a girls best friend".
The mom has been warned by "someone in the know" (supposedly) that she's now getting lumped in with older girls, and that the cutesy stuff doesn't pull in the high scores.

Can anyone weigh in on this?

To me, the music should fit the girl, regardless of whether it's cutesy or serious. (Mom just listened to my daughter's music (Fuego) and said hers is sophisticated and classy, and that her DD's is childish and simple. I explained that my DD IS serious, and that hers has the most animated expressions I've seen).

Help please :)

my dd is 11 and is tall; I can't imagine her being cutesy, but she is not a pig tail girl or animated (she is a dancer so she did piano guys let it go to play off her ballet training, but it is still from frozen and she loves frozen and is 11:). But I think at 11, unless she is really tiny for her age, she could be better served with an animated/expressive floor she could sell without trying to make it too young and cutesy.
I hope they find something they all love!

L6 and 11 isn't "young and cutesy" to me. I mean, she's not old by any means but still. We had an 11YO L6 and she did an "international" music choice. It was energetic but I wouldn't have described it as cutesy.

We had a pair of 12 year old L6 do very well with Broadway choices.

Mine had very cutesy music at 9 and 10, but has less cute though not "old" music at 11 and next year at 12. I'm no expert, but agree that the music needs to suit the gymnast. Our girls who score highest tend to be the ones who have really bought into their music/routine and perform it.

Mine had very cutesy music at 9 and 10, but has less cute though not "old" music at 11 and next year at 12. I'm no expert, but agree that the music needs to suit the gymnast. Our girls who score highest tend to be the ones who have really bought into their music/routine and perform it.

Thank you - the mom is agreeing to let her daughter have the one she wants, because it does indeed suit her personality, and she's pretty sure she'll give it 110% if SHE likes it :)

The way I look at it, is that it should fit the girl's personality. Kim Zmeskal did cutesy even into her teens. I think a song like Pap Oom Mow Mow can be choreographed for a variety of ages, and is not inappropriate for an 11 or 12 yo. It could be a lot of fun to perform to it.

We had a 12 year old 7th grader this past season in L6 with Do You Wanna Build a Snowman (the year before, she had a Disney medley). Also the year before, we had a 12 year old L7 with Muppets music. These selections work for these girls.
The music should fit the gymnast, regardless of age.

Anyone out there know some titles for cutesy? I need ideas...sorry to hijack the thread. I think she should do what she likes, it's what will make her buy in.

I think it should depend on the gymnast and their personality and style. If they will go all out with "cutesy" music, why not? My daughter was 10 her first year of optionals and she didn't pick cutesy stuff. Her first choice was something they thought was too mature, but I had made her do some choices that were more "age appropriate" and they picked one of those. Choreographer read my email and saw her first choice, listened and loved it, so she got her first choice. :) She was so happy and the choreography made it not seem too grown up for her. She had it for 3 years and loved it. Picking new floor music currently, so stressful. But like the first time, she is very sure of her first choice and hopeful she gets approval.

One we almost went for was Cruzat's fiddle. Cute but not too much.
She loved Alice in wonderland too.
My DD will be 11 at level 6 and she is very small and cute to me......but I don't think she would be considered cute. She is not very smiley, and once an assistant coach called her 'serious as a heart attack'! I don't think she would 'do' cute well.

But, age appropriate, is what is important. Your DD must love it. And the coach/ choreographer must know enough about your dd to find the right song.
How about some swing stuff? One mom wanted to mix from Caravan Palace or even 'I wanna be like you'.....

Good luck, once you find it, it will be the perfect one!

They did find one - coach and the daughter liked it. Mom had been told "cutesy"didn't bring scores, so mom was concerned. (not in a big way, just like "is this a mistake" way). I've told the mom that truly it seems as long as the music suits the girl, that's what is important. :)

Reactions: sce
I think to sell it you need to love it.
But I also think it needs to have some durability too. As in not cutesy that you hate as quickly as you love it.

And I think you also need to play and pick music suited to your (gymnasts) strengths and personality.

The reason so-called cutesy doesn't score well is so many of the routines referred to as cutesy lack dance artistry. If the routines is cute AND artistic, it will score. Most of the cutesy routines I see are downright boring. The gymnast goes from pose to pose with no real dance.

My ten year old has a super cutesy routine and has scored really well with it. She's not a dancer, and so in her case, it's better to do cutesy and sell it as well as she can than to try and do dramatic poorly.

I felt the same way, as I was "little" by excel gold standards, but I didn't want to do something too cutesy because then if I don't sell it, no one finds it good. I went with this music : because it's sort of cutesy, without being sickeningly sweet. Fit me perfectly! She could do something from the incredibles, or the like.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back