Floor music too "mature"?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2020vision

My daughter gets a new floor routine this year and has been listening to floor music. Because of her age/size, her last routine was set to "Itty Bitty Pretty One" which if you aren't familiar with it, is kind of 50s pop, very cutesy and bubbly.

So she was wanting to try something very different. I'll be honest and say I didn't hear the song she chose to take to her coach but when she came out of gym last night, she seemed bothered. In the car ride home she said that her coach rejected her music and declared it too mature for her.

Now I'm assuming that there isn't a lot of burlesque music in gymnastics so I don't know exactly what it means for a song to be too mature. We aren't second guessing the coach and we aren't going to toss a fit or anything. My daughter has already started listening to the demos again. But I was hoping either a coach or an experienced optional parent could explain this concept.

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Sure there's burlesque music... the level 5 compulsary music! ;)

I suspect the coach just didn't think the music fit your DD's personality. My DD is very fun and lively... all smiles and giggles. So I always thought that, when the time came, she'd have very fun, upbeat floor music. However, once she started getting close to starting level 7, HC started sending me links to classical stuff. She (HC) really had her heart set on Cannon in D. She talked about DD's grace and pretty lines. So I guess what I think of as her "personality" isn't necessarily what the coach thinks will best show off her skills. They eventually reached a compromise in a song that is not classical, but is still pretty. DD should be getting her first optional routine choreographed in the next week or two and she is over-the-moon excited!

The girls with pretty lines and grace usually get classical music. Though, if your a power gymnast with muscle, like me, I always choose upbeat music since I also smile a lot.

We went through the same thing this summer. DD is 9 and looks 7. She wanted dramatic, movie type music. Coach said no. Had to be "age appropriate" children's music. Ended up with the muppets, and actually, my dd really, really likes it, and her routine is shaping up to be quite fun and matches her personality perfectly.

mature doesn't mean "sexy" in this case - just means that HC doesn't think your dd can pull it off. It works both ways. DD choose a peanuts themed music her first year and we thought she would be able to 2 years but when the next year came, we just knew she had outgrown it... she then chose a rock theme, which should last her 2 more years.

2020, Hope your dd finds some great music soon. I know it can be a process. Tell her that she is in good company, Shawn Johnson said in an interview that she had "Itty Bitty Pretty One" as her level 9 floor music and it was her favorite floor music that she ever used.

I suspect the coach just didn't think the music fit your DD's personality. My DD is very fun and lively... all smiles and giggles. So I always thought that, when the time came, she'd have very fun, upbeat floor music. However, once she started getting close to starting level 7, HC started sending me links to classical stuff. She (HC) really had her heart set on Cannon in D. She talked about DD's grace and pretty lines. So I guess what I think of as her "personality" isn't necessarily what the coach thinks will best show off her skills. They eventually reached a compromise in a song that is not classical, but is still pretty. DD should be getting her first optional routine choreographed in the next week or two and she is over-the-moon excited!

OMG LOL! Us moms always refer to it as "the" stripper music! They have to go to the new music this year and my gymnast says it makes her really sad. LOL! When she does her routine, she just wants to lay down and cry. ROFLing

The coach is probably looking for something that fits her style and personality. She would perform better to music she can relate to, that is an extension of her, not something she has to modify her style to fit to.

LOL Mary I remember when that L5 music came out for the first time. The mom's were all sittng at the tables and it started to play we all got up and had to see if it was an optional gymnast - NOPE a 7yo doing a new L5 routine. The first words our of our mouths - What USAG moron thought that this stripper music was appropriate for this level.

I searched for it on YouTube and found a 9.95 L5 routine as the first result. Watched it, then thought "OMG, DD needs a lot of work in the next six weeks!". I did find the music a bit interesting for the age, but far better than the L4 music I've heard for two years!

I've been to optional meets and seen 11 year olds doing routines to Black Betty and Save a Horse. Still can't figure out how that came about.

Not gymnastics but if you watched the latest episode of Dance Moms that poor child Nia did a dance to a song called "Working Girl." Yes, that kind of working girl. And Nia is probably what, 9 years old?

Some music choices are definitely yikes-worthy ... :eek:

OP it is a good thing that your coach is trying to make sure the music is age-appropriate. I hope she can find something that she loves and that the coach can work with too.

I searched for it on YouTube and found a 9.95 L5 routine as the first result. Watched it, then thought "OMG, DD needs a lot of work in the next six weeks!". I did find the music a bit interesting for the age, but far better than the L4 music I've heard for two years!

I've been to optional meets and seen 11 year olds doing routines to Black Betty and Save a Horse. Still can't figure out how that came about.

I know what routine you are referring to. Did you notice how crisp and snappy her hand movements were? Judges like snappy in that L5 routine. My dd and I were wondering what the judges will be looking for in the movements with the new music, crisp is always good, but the music doesn't lend itself to snappy. The music is more flowing (and sad LOL) I am sure the new 2013 routines will fit the music much better, I can't wait to see them.

There is also a 10.0 L% bar routine, my dd watches.

From a guy's POV, there is a big difference between Burlesque and "stripper" music. They don't play that style of music hardly ever, except at Burlesque joints.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back