Parents Floor Music

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

justkeepswimming

Proud Parent
My child is young, but if she is able to get her cast handstand she may be moving to level 6....Knowing this, she has already been listening to songs she would choose when it is time for her to have her own routine. I know the coaches will guide us when it is time, but I am just curious. When people say to pick music that matches your gymnast's style (fast, slow, cutesy etc.)...does that mean their gymnastics style (I assume) or personality style? Can it be different? I feel like my child is the most bubbly, smiley, fun loving, bouncy child....but when she competes, she doesn't even crack a smile, except when she solutes. She is so serious! I guess she has her gymnast face and then the relaxed self she is when not competing. How do you know what style they are?

Her most public persona along with her gymnastic style.

My daughter's comfort zone is strong music. Paso diablo type feel.

A couple girls on her team are more ballet and waltz type

Another couple more jazz, swing type.

mine is silly but she is also serious when competing. she picked out her own music based on what she liked. she ended up with take flight by lindsey stirling. we heard that song at one of her sister's dance competitions several months before when she was 8. she listened to other songs but ended up with that one. it suits her very well even if it was a "big girl" song (she competed it last season at 9 years old).

your gymnast needs to pick a song she is invested in and really likes. she will find one. i wouldn't worry about "style". she needs a song she really likes and a good choreographer.

She is in love with this one version of beauty and the beast. Who knows if it is trendy or even something the coach would want her to use. One of her coaches is an amazing choreographer, so I am sure she will have some great input on the right music for her when it is time. I know this year's routine was wonderful for the first month or two, but she started to hate floor and didn't want to ever practice it (it was a super cute routine, but she was sick of the music and bored with nothing challenging.) they let her upgrade her skills for regionals and she was totally excited about the challenge (and pulled off 1st place.) Maybe it is immaturity, but she gets bored so quickly. Hopefully, music she loves will help that!

my dd is stuck with the music for 2 years. for lvl 6 and 7 so she had to REALLY like it. lol she just did basic lvl 6 skills so they will have to work the choreography around her lvl 7 skills now.

DD is super silly but her music is dead serious. She would love something fun and super dancey, but she picked 3 songs and the very last one, her least favorite is the pick for the coach. It was a 50/50 input. She has it for 2 seasons.
With that being said, I love DD'S floor music it's powerful and completely different from her team mates. It's wild dances and this season she will get 3-5 more seconds added along with difficulty.

my dd is stuck with the music for 2 years. for lvl 6 and 7 so she had to REALLY like it. lol she just did basic lvl 6 skills so they will have to work the choreography around her lvl 7 skills now.
We are lucky… our girls can have new music every year….
and actually, In OG's first season of Xcel Gold (the last year before Nationalization of the program), she had one music from January-March and decided 2 weeks before her final meet of the season (YMCA Nationals) that she was going to change her music. It took us a over week to get the new music so it would play on the gym system. The following season the time limit was cut by 15 seconds, so I cut her music in August… and she chose to change it to something different in September.
This year, she was tempted to change her music mid-way through the season, but never got the chance :) of course, she still has 6.5 weeks before the next meet, so ya never know. I do hope to convince her to use any music she picks out between now and then for NEXT season.

Oh so much fun! Picking music is so exciting for them.

My oldest DD (10) has had two routines so far. She is NOT cutesy or dancey and is very powerful so she ended up with Mission Inpossible as an Xcel Gold. She liked it and it seemed to fit her. Last season as a Level 7 she had to get new music because of the added time and she was given Dead Silence. She LOVES this one and it's showed in higher floor scores this season. It's definitely important that they like the music and can really perform it. I personally love her routine to this music. It's so different.

YDD (8) is picking out music for the first time right now for her Xcel gold season. She is such a different style than ODD. Much more dramatic and sassy. The music choices are SO different. I am excited to see what she gets and what the routine ends up being like. She's also not a cutesy it dancey type, she's Powerful like ODD. Can't wait to see the routine.

Good luck to your DD in picking out music!!

DDs coach picked music for each of the girls, and choreographed the routines. I thought she did a superb job of matching music to personalities. Like yours, justkeepswimming, DD is all business. Her music is sassy and fits the serious/sassy/focused kid she is. Speedy gymnasts got fast moving music, bubbly/smiley gymnasts got perky music and great tumblers/less ballet type dancers got explosive music. It gave everyone an opportunity to play on their strengths and match their personalities.

I understand we're keeping the music for another year...it turned out fantastic for DD and saves me a choreography fee this year!

I am guessing our coach may pick music for our girls as well (or I hope!) She is an expert and I know will be able to pick better than us!

Oh so much fun! Picking music is so exciting for them.

My oldest DD (10) has had two routines so far. She is NOT cutesy or dancey and is very powerful so she ended up with Mission Inpossible as an Xcel Gold. She liked it and it seemed to fit her. Last season as a Level 7 she had to get new music because of the added time and she was given Dead Silence. She LOVES this one and it's showed in higher floor scores this season. It's definitely important that they like the music and can really perform it. I personally love her routine to this music. It's so different.

YDD (8) is picking out music for the first time right now for her Xcel gold season. She is such a different style than ODD. Much more dramatic and sassy. The music choices are SO different. I am excited to see what she gets and what the routine ends up being like. She's also not a cutesy it dancey type, she's Powerful like ODD. Can't wait to see the routine.

Good luck to your DD in picking out music!!
We had an Xcel Gold years ago that had Mission Impossible music and 2 years ago, a L6 had Dead Silence. Both were great!

Mine loathed cutesy or fun music because according to her, she would've been required to SMILE. For level 6/7 (she was 9/10 when she was level 6), her floor coach chose the music (Victory by Bond) and she liked it ok. Definitely wasn't cutesy. For her last season (level 8), her coach had her find her own music and she chose Alice in Wonderland which was my favorite. I told her that one of the few regrets I had when she quit was not seeing her do that floor routine again. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back