Floor routine music-what do you think?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm trying to help my dd pick her new floor music. She found some new ones we downloaded today. Just wondering what you think of the following selections: Phantom of the Opera, Pirates of the Carribean, Theme from Hawaii 5-O, Don't Cry for Me Argentina, Lord of the Dance, and (drum roll please....hope this doesn't jinx her year)...The Theme From E.R.! Have any of these been way overused, and if so, is that necessarily a bad thing?

Last edited:
We used ER a few years ago for a demonstration performance, and the music was great. Have you talked with the coaches about these choices knowing your daughter they will have an opinion as to what would fit her best.

Thanks Audra. I've never heard the ER music at a meet and it sounds sort of funny to be thinking about that because I definitely want her to stay OUT of the ER this season. But it is good music. She really likes the Hawaii 5-0 song even though she has never heard it before. I loved that music growing up. My dd is going from club to high school competition, which officially starts in a couple of weeks. Her coach is new, and has never seen her compete or even practice yet. He told her to pick music she likes and fits her, but she isn't really sure what fits her. She's always used "cutsey" music before because she is a very small, cute, lots of smiles type of competitor. But, she is in high school now and I think she is looking for something a little more mature and maybe even dramatic. Thanks for letting me know about the Pirates of the Carribean being way overused. I tried to tell her that but she won't listen to me. I'll have to get her on this site in her spare time! She is really having a hard time deciding, but has to come up with something really soon so she will have about a month to get choreographed and prepare for the first meet. This might be the great mystery of the web site here: "What music will Gymnomore's dd pick?"

Agree with GT that Pirates is just done to death. Phantom of the Opera may be just a little too "heavy" for a petite gymnast. Has she listened to Chicago, Grease or A Chorus Line. Some nice upbeat music that wouldn't be too "young" for her. Also the group Bond has some really nice music. My older dd skated to one of their early pieces which I think were some of their best.

fx music

pirates is overdowone but goes over greta for a high school meet. I love phatomon but it may be alitlle too slow for floor music IIMO. I love hawwii 5-0 as it was in it heyday overused but would be a refreshing piece of music now. New to young ears. My DD had ER on her list of music to choose. Also try third watch that is really good also and not every one can pull it off. Death to disney if she was a cutesy gymnast it is time for a change. She a big girl now. I also like dreamgilrs cd and drumline lots of good floor music in those soundtracks..
Danielle

Wow! Thanks everyone for the input. She is still deciding but I love your suggestions. Where can I find some of those such as Third Watch, Dreamgirls, and the group Bond? I don't know if I will let her get Grease as that music is overdone in general. Besides, as much as I like it, it really is on the cutsey side still. So far, she has narrowed her search down to Phantom, Hawaii 5-0, Count It All Joy (a latin flavored praise song on the Energym soundtrack), and Heartbreaker, a rock piece also from Energym. Good point about Hawaii 5-0 as it may have been overdone in it's heyday but maybe it's time to bring it back, and I don't think she would get tired of it. She said it sounds moving, tropical and refreshing, and the bit of Mission Impossible in the middle can bring out her dramatic edge. Phantom might not be a bad choice, even though she is petite, because she has long beautiful body lines and this pace might give her a chance to slow down with some dramatic poses to show them off. Before she was always rushing around very quickly to cartoon pieces and her body lines were hidden. All the rushing made it somewhat difficult to have good tumbling passes. She loves Count it All Joy, and so do I. That was her second choice the last time she selected music and she still likes it so that's a good sign. It's a very happy, dancey piece with lots of tempo changes. I don't like Heartbreaker at all but she does and it's her decision. We'll see how it goes. Please, please let me know if there's anything else you can suggest within the next few days.

You should be able to find Bond on amazon.com. I preferred their early CDs to the stuff they have done later. The piece of music that my older dd used was gypsy like---her coach picked it for her trying to bring out her personality. Didn't work on the personality side, but people liked the music.

Pretty much anything by Bond is awesome routine music. Fuego, Explosive, Gypsy Rhapsody, Scorchio, and Duel are all awesome. (All are fairly commonly used, but I wouldn't call any of them overused yet.)

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back