Floor Routines in General

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This is a general question. Do most gyms create each gymnast new and individual floor routines? We have a gym in the area that will pass down routines from one gymnast to another including same music. Few of us were having a debate on this.

The gym we are at hires a special choregrapher to do the routines. Just curious what is the norm?

Last edited:
At our gym the parents have to hire the choreographer. We used to have a choice of 3 or 4 different people, but now we all use the same one because she works with the girls once a week. That way the choreographer is also the coach, and knows what the routines are supposed to look like. The one we used in the past was awesome, and the one we use now is very good. We tend to keep the routines for 2 years, adapting them to the next level if necessary, due to the cost. Some routines are passed down if a gymnast has $$ issues, or will only need it for a short time. And we do share music from previous years that is no longer being used, but they usually get a new routine with it.

Well in Australia we have optional routines from level 4. With my new coach level 4's all have the same routine (well we are split into two groups (older and younger) so that 15/16 year olds aren't doing some cutsie music making them look ridiculous. From level 5 you have your own routine. oh and our coach choreographs our routines :)

At my old gym they brought in a Choreographer and it was $300 for 1 hour of time. that is the routine she is currently doing. In our new gym one of the coaches is also a dance instructor /choreographer so she usually will get the floors together but the girls have alot of input too.

at my gym in the past the coaches would make up the routines, which i like better because they know what the gymnasts can and cant do. this year since we have a dance studio in our gym ( it at the park district) one of the dance teachers which is also a coach for some of the little gymnasts like 3-6 year-olds is helping my friend create her routine. and my coach is helping me with mine

at my gym most everyone has gotten their own routine. The was a couple instances where girls werent going to compete level 7 that season and they ended up competing so we need a routine fast, so we taught them routines from like 3 seasons ago. we keep them for about 2 years sometimes more and sometimes people get them done after 1 season.

Our girls get a new routine every two years - we have two coaches who choreograph - cost is $ 150 per routine - if the athlete moves up a level the tumble lines are changed and minor adaptations to the dance part are done......it is indeed very helpful to have your coach (if they are capable) do your choreo, as they know their athletes best! Also, the coach (who truly seems to love doing choreo) often will spend a few moments here and there, tweaking things :). It all works out very well.

Sparky

At our gym, many routines are handed down--if they've scored well in the past, they are typically handed down. Our level 7s share routines 2-3 girls have the same music/routine. Level 8s have individual routines, but they're sometimes handed down. And level 9s and 10s have new routines created for them. No choreographer is hired--we have a few coaches that do a good job with choreography (we do pay them extra to do it though!). Most girls have the same routine for 2 yrs--adapted as they move up a level or gain skills.

As a parent, I don't think I'd mind passing down the music and routines IF, and I repeat, IF, I hadn't paid a fortune for them!! At my DD's gym, I think the choreographer was $350.00 and of course you have to buy the music as well.

at our gym it is all up to the girls. they can have anyone they want to make their routine and they can keep them as long as they like, preferably for 2 years at the least. last year, our owner brought in a choreographer for the girls. she was expensive and the girls didnt like the routines all that well. so this year its all up to them. we sometimes pass down routines if the girls have money issues. we didnt have any problems by leaving it up to the girls

Our gym has an individual routine for each girl with their own music (it is choreographed specifically to the strengths of the gymnast by a hired choreographer). Of course, it is paid for by the parents (about $250) plus purchasing the music. Sometimes when a gymnast leaves the gym and has not overused the music or routine, it is sold to the next gymnast at a reduced rate and the former gymnast gets that money. The music and routine can be carried over and changed for new tumbling passes, but if it didn't "fit" well and didn't show well, it is usually dropped for a new one next year. The girls choose several selections of music and the coaches pick the one that they feel best suits the gymnast (or has then choose more if they don't like the first ones). Seems to be working.

Our gym uses a choreographer and then the coaches take over. The routines are video taped and the floor coach reviews the tapes as the season progresses. The choreographer comes back a few times to make any adjustments to the routines. We keep them for two years and they are individually created for each girls personality and strengths.

Level 7's work with a choreographer on routines. Routines have been passed down but that is more the exception than the norm. The choreographer is expensive, $450, but the routines are really well put together with each girl's strength showcased. She will also do a beam routine for another $150. The choreographer travels to our gym every couple months to tweak things. They will keep it for 2 seasons and then get a new one. We have our 1st meet in a week. L7 starts after my dd's session. A lot of the 6's will stay to watch the new routines. I think the team is more excited about seeing the new 7's than their own meet.

At our gym, we have 3 or 4 choreographers, all with a different style. So there is one who does more up beat routines, while there is one who does the more classical slower routines. Depending on the music you chose.
Now when we change routines, we can either get new music and new choreography or we could chose an older routine that someone is done using and we can change a few things to make it more personal.

We can get new routines or use an old routine. Sometimes one gymnast's old routine would work better for another gymnast. Sometimes they will keep their routines and even just change the music. Most of the girls get new routines though probably 90%.

At my gym, we all make up our own routines with help from the coaches and we never pass them down. I feel like routines should be created specifically with one gymnast in mind and should play up their best features. Everyone gets a say so that they are confident and happy with their routine. It's obviously working... at our first meet this year, we wound up with almost everyone in the gym in the 9.2 + range! I love our method and I love helping out with routines.

Our gym does that too, but usually P1 routines go to pre-team and vice-versa. The higher level gymnasts occasionly pass around routines, but not often. Music is re-used quite a bit, but usually only after a few years. The coaches usually make up the routines, then a choreographer comes and looks at them, then changes/adds/takes away what she thinks will give the gymnast more points.

at my gym we do dance gymnastics and cheer so when we get new routines/music all the coaches/teachers all pitch in to help create the routines
when ever we go to competitions we get complimented because of how great they are
at my gym we do pass down routines with the music unless the ages of the gymnasts vary causing the older ones to look stupid doing things adorable little girls would do ie. we once had a little girl doing THE ADAMS FAMILY and then we passed it on to an older girl we then needed to change the chorography

JERISLOAN

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back