WAG Floor Routines

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Vegas and metroplex is on the schedule. If she doesn’t qualify then I think it’s called K Pac and something else

I am going to offer a different opinion. I believe based on US compyright laws there is a good chance that the gym owns the routine, and therefore has a right to pass it on to another gymnast, and the gymnast can’t take the choreography with her if she goes to another gym.

My thoughts on this are based on dance studios. If a dance studio hires a choreographer, to do a routine for a solo or a group, the students pay for it, but they pay the studio (not the choreographer directly) and then the studio pays the choreographer, so the choreographer is employed by the studio and the choreography is owned by the studio because they were employed by the studio (not the student) to do the routine.

I believe the same would apply in the gym. If the routine was taught in the gym, for a client of the gym the choreographer would be considered to have been employed by the gym to choreograph the routine, therefore the gym would own the choreography. Did you pay the choreographer directly or the gym who then paid the choreographer?

There can always be a fear of using others routines. If you have purchased music and paid a choreographer yes you would assume that you have the right to the routine and would be so in a perfect world. But did you pay the choreographer or did you pay the gym to then teach the routine in their gym which then paid what you paid to the gym ? If not even so what stops anyone at a competition recording a floor routine and then taking moves or a song from that routine or even the routine in itself from being used. Unfortunately unless a routine has been patoned and unless the music has been made and not purchased and agreed to not be used by others than there is nothing stopping anyone else from using it. It happens. We pass down music and routines from past gymnasts. Heck we use moves from Olympic routines. It’s a stab in the back for a gym to use the same routine when a gymnast has left. It’s deffinatly a negative and spiteful statement but unless there is legal reprutution with it there is not much you can do

It reminds me of the movie bring it on when the choreographer was making money teaching all other cheer squads the same routine

Technically you can’t copy a routine you have seen on YouTube or recorded at a competition. The work is copyrighted, it does not need to be patented, the owners could take someone to court for copying their routine.

The way copyright works for created works, like original choreography in the US is similar to Australia. Once the work has been created and recorded it is protected by copyright. Once the routine is done, if a video is taken of it, or the steps are written down it is protected work.

Technically you can’t copy a routine you have seen on YouTube or recorded at a competition. The work is copyrighted, it does not need to be patented, the owners could take someone to court for copying their routine.

The way copyright works for created works, like original choreography in the US is similar to Australia. Once the work has been created and recorded it is protected by copyright. Once the routine is done, if a video is taken of it, or the steps are written down it is protected work.
This is very true but If this was the case with a lot of routines then lots of people would spend alot
Of time in court. Yes it sucks. And yes is worth an email to the gym. But at the end of the day do you really want to waste time money and effort to bring it to that. And this is why unfortunately it happens. A lot. I would email the gym if
Your dd wants to keep the routine. If not move on and find another amazing routine that says I’ve changed gyms moved on and have a kick *** routine to show

I am going to offer a different opinion. I believe based on US compyright laws there is a good chance that the gym owns the routine, and therefore has a right to pass it on to another gymnast, and the gymnast can’t take the choreography with her if she goes to another gym.

My thoughts on this are based on dance studios. If a dance studio hires a choreographer, to do a routine for a solo or a group, the students pay for it, but they pay the studio (not the choreographer directly) and then the studio pays the choreographer, so the choreographer is employed by the studio and the choreography is owned by the studio because they were employed by the studio (not the student) to do the routine.

I believe the same would apply in the gym. If the routine was taught in the gym, for a client of the gym the choreographer would be considered to have been employed by the gym to choreograph the routine, therefore the gym would own the choreography. Did you pay the choreographer directly or the gym who then paid the choreographer?
We have always paid choreographers directly, in cash. For both music and routines. Only time gym was involved was when the routine was shared amongst a level.

Choreographer directly. A gym could set it up the way you describe, but the ones I am familiar with do not.

Even if you pay the choreographer directly, the routine may still be owned by the gym. If there is evidence that the gym was considered to be employing the choreographer. Things like, was then used as the space where the routine was learned, was it set up by the gym, did the gym have the choreographer come in to do other routines as well.

I know very little on copyright law, but everything I'm reading on says that the person who paid the choreographer to make the choreography owns the copyright. I don't really think the gym could make a case that they employed the choreographer when they have no contract and did not pay her a cent. Sadly/luckily(?), we will never see a case on gymnastics dance copyrighting make it to court. :D

They recycle routines at our gym. I don't think they charge the gymnast inheriting an old routine, only the first gymnast pays since the routine was created and tailored for her, and she probably had input in music and sequences. They never ask permission from the original gymnast to use their old routines but usually the original gymnast is graduated or moved on to another gym. My daughter has a really fun routine this year and everyone at the gym loves it and it will probably be recycled after she graduates. I don't think my daughter would mind, she probably thinks it's cool her routine lives on and it is her legacy! But then again, we only paid $250, if we paid $850 I may feel differently!

$850 was our portion of his flight, hotel, and rental, music (and cutting the music) and the routine. Also he comes back next week for touch up and next year for upgrades
A D1 college near me used to pay only $500 per floor routine, and their choreographer was flown in from NY and stayed a week (college gymnasts have to pay for the choreography themselves out of pocket). He also cut their music. $850 is excessive. We pay $350 per routine.

Even if you pay the choreographer directly, the routine may still be owned by the gym. If there is evidence that the gym was considered to be employing the choreographer. Things like, was then used as the space where the routine was learned, was it set up by the gym, did the gym have the choreographer come in to do other routines as well.
No, our choreographer is paid directly from the gymnast and the gym does not make any money off them. My oldest had her routines choreographed by a former Olympian/college gymnast, not at our gym the first time. $350 paid directly to her.

No, our choreographer is paid directly from the gymnast and the gym does not make any money off them. My oldest had her routines choreographed by a former Olympian/college gymnast, not at our gym the first time. $350 paid directly to her.
Does GA mean Georgia? If so then that’s prob why it’s so cheap.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back