Members see FEWER ads

J

Jea_bernadette

okay so here is the deal

i am a level 5 working level 6

i have every skill in the level 6 bar routine but i am TERRIFIED of a flyaway

i have never been afrid of something before

and i dont know why i am soo scared

sometimes i think it is because i think i will hit my feet on the bar but other times i have no idea why i wont just let go of the bar

2 weeks ao i let go of the bar but it was still scary

this week and last i have not been able to let go of the bar

so if anybody has any tips for me i would REALLLLYYYY appreciate it

i need to get this stupid fly away and get rid of my stupid fear

so please help me

:)

Wow. We're gonna get along great! :p

I had the EXACT same problem (and I still do from time to time). I'm assuming your coach is still spotting, right? That always reassures me. I think part of it is trust, in yourself AND your coach. You have to trust yourself to let go, and you have to trust your coach that he/she's; a, not going to let you hurt yourself, and b, he/she's not going to let you do it if you're not ready.

As far as getting over the fear... visualization helps. If you can picture yourself doing a perfect flyaway, you'll do a perfect flyaway. You just can't visualize anything negative, that's the key.

The other thing that helped me was starting with them on the low bar. Swing with your legs tucked, then on your third swing, let go and have your coach catch you. That way, you're getting used to letting go without flipping, AND you learn correct timing. Once you master that, do the same thing with the flip. After that, move it up to high bar on the lowest setting. As you get comfortable with it, move the bar up. You'll find yourself getting used to it.

Also (jeez my finger hurt from all the typing!), I'm sure as of right now you're scared to swing hard into it, but the bigger the swings, the easier it gets. And the more height you get, the less scary it is.

One more thing; you just have to get yourself to do it. Work up the courage and believe in yourself! You'll get it eventually. It may take time, it did for me, but I have it now. And I know you will too. :)

PM me if you want to talk at all! I can completely relate to your situation. I actually got to the point where I thought about quitting because of it. Don't let it get that bad. Remember; part of gymnastics is going to be fear, but think of how great it will feel the first time you're that scared but you do it. I've never had a prouder moment than when I did my first flyaway by myself (and that was just a month ago! We started working them in November! Hard work pays off, my friend! :D ).

Good luck!!!!!

-xoxo
Kayleigh

Drills are always a good way to get over fear. Have you ever tried any dead cows---do these off the low bar: do a tap swing and once your feet get up let go and land on your back. This way you don't have to worry about flipping, just getting yourself to let go.

Also, try not thinking about it too much. Sometimes we let our mind wander off and think about something too much; often leading to a fear of this particular thing. Trust in yourself and trust your coach--they wouldn't have you doing it if they didn't think you were capable and safe of doing it. Good luck!

Dead cows helped me soo much!!!

Also you just need to let go. The first time's the worst! Like everyone else said, your coach wouldn't ask you to do it if you aren't capable.

Are you afraid of going with a spot? If not, try talking to your coach about it and have them spot you less and less each time. This way you know they're right there to help you if you need it. I'll be honest with you--hitting your feet on the bar is likely to happen at one point or another--it's caused by creating shoulder angle before you let go (called 'pulling in'). Try to think about keeping your shoulders open as you let go. Like someone else said--letting go the first time is the hardest thing for most people. Be confident in yourself and just make yourself let go.

For any of my kids, they must be able to do a back pullover on tramp before I think of letting them do flyaways. There is something about the sensation of being free out of a back drop on tramp that I like. Also, there is the aerial awareness factor. Having a kid willing to do a HUGE back drop on tramp is a must before I think of letting them do flyaways.

I view the flyaway as a release at roughly 6 or feet high. Thus, if they're willing to do a back drop 3 or 4 feet in the air, I know they have gotten over that fear. Be it back pullover, peanut roll, or whatever you like to call it. We had a girl who was level 7 and never really had a consistent flyaway as she got it, then lost it about a year later, etc. At one point, she refused to do just about anything backwards. Building from the bottom of backdrops, etc, eventually got her over it under me.

I used to have the same problem as well. Dead cows helped me a lot. My coaches wouldn't spot us on our flyaways tho so i just did a lot of dead cows and working on them into the pit. u just have 2 trust urself. and once u do it and start getting the hang of it... they will be super fun!

best of luck!

2 questions:

What is a dead cow?

What is a back pullover on tramp?

2 questions:

What is a dead cow?

What is a back pullover on tramp?

I think we are talking about a "flyaway timer to back" on mats. I guess the "cow" thing is what they call it in...the Midwest? Texas?

We try not to do too many drops into the pit, because it can tend to make a flyaway go down and out...when it really should go up in front of the bar.

The real trick is to press the shoulders out toward the landing area BEFORE releasing the bar. It's too late to change trajectory once you let go.

A pullover is a back-drop followed by backward rotation to feet.

We had a girl who wouldn't let go of the bar even if the coach was there. She did dead cows onto the gush (resi, pit, what ever you call it) with the cheese wedge on it and then backwards roll sooner and sooner when you hit the mat. After she did about a million of those she was feeling braver and let the coach flip her.

dead cow

I think we are talking about a "flyaway timer to back" on mats. I guess the "cow" thing is what they call it in...the Midwest? Texas? quote]

o LOL I thought she meant literally a dead cow! I thought she didn't like animals being killed! hahaha, thanks for clearing that up!

Hi there. I had the same problem when it was time to tackle fly aways! Dead cows helped me sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!! You basicly have got to trust in yourself and your coach (if he/she is spotting) and just let go. I had a huge fear of getting hurt when i was learning and the bars was by far my biggest fear..luckily i had a very patient coach who took the time and got my confidence up before taking my spot away alot of coaches just expect you to do it without a spot and be ok with it. i dont like doing that personally. but thats just me...so trust in yourself and let go...once you do flyaways will be cake!

It's really not that bad when you hit your feet! it hurt a bit but not that much, and if you don't know when to let go have your coach do a countoff [let go on 3 1...2...3]

xo hailee xo

I used to have my girls do flyways off of the boys rings. They got the sensation of a flyway without the fear of hitting their feet. We had a set of swing rings that we could bring close to the floor so the girls would push off of the floor to swing out and then flyway. It really seemed to help and the girls thought it was a lot of fun!

The only problem of getting the girls to learn flyaways on the rings was in getting them into a decent swing instead of just a swinging skin the cat.

However, they are really good for front offs too in the same regard. Especially over a pit.

hey- we all get afraid, but if u DONT LET GO OF THE BAR, UR GOING TO GET HURT!!!!!! trust me, i broke my back in december on bars. dont be afraid, alls u have to do is tapswing and when u see ur toes in front of u let go. its not really a prob for me cause i used to do this stupid back flip thing when i would miss my squat on. i would miss the squat on and my feet would go through the bar and id end up sitting on the bar, then falling backwards and flipping under it. little did i know that this simmulated the "flip" of the flyaway. have ur coach spot u till u feel comfortable. try having them give u a "signal" when to let go. my coach will put his hand on ur stomach and when u feel it, u let go. works everytime. while learning this, make sure u dont balk at letting go or ul overrotate and ring ur feet on the bars. if ur not going to commit to the trick, dont do it. its a sure fire way to get hurt. good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back