WAG Flyaway fears

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mommyo2az

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
I know there are many topics on this,but I just want to vent! My DD just got over BWO on high beam block/fear and literally 2 weeks later cannot let go for a flyaway!
This fear has gotten so bad that she has said she wants to quit gymnastics and is very teary going to practice. I feel so terrible for her, it's like she is thinking about how afraid she is constantly!
I have left this to be between her and her coach - but I can't help have it weigh heavily on my heart. I hate to see her so sad! I know she feels stress because she needs the skills for 5/6 in spring. I guess not much else to do but be supportive, don't talk about it and have faith!?

My dd is going through this as well both with the flyaway and her BWO on beam. On the flyaway she has hit her toes on the bars multiple times. On the BWO she had a growth spurt and is now freaked out bc it feels different. She is currently working through Doc Alli's fear program workbook and videos and it seems to be helping It's very hard as a parent to just be quiet and stay out of it lol but you are doing the right thing! Just want you to know you're not alone!

My dd is going through this as well both with the flyaway and her BWO on beam. On the flyaway she has hit her toes on the bars multiple times. On the BWO she had a growth spurt and is now freaked out bc it feels different. She is currently working through Doc Alli's fear program workbook and videos and it seems to be helping It's very hard as a parent to just be quiet and stay out of it lol but you are doing the right thing! Just want you to know you're not alone!

Thank you! DD listened to Doc Ali headgames CD for BWO maybe I need to bring that out again!

Mine peeled off the high bar one day while doing a flyaway and for weeks she was scared to do it. I left it alone, simply telling her she had done it before and would be ok and eventually the coach spotted her a few times and she is fine now. It seems to go better when I just don't get involved.

Flyaways, flyaways, flyaways. This block is so common. If you want to look at my old posts, you can see I had a flyaway block for several months. Two weeks ago, I competed it for the first time after several skill scratches. Like the other block, she WILL get over it with time. It is simply a matter of finding the strategy that works for her. For me, it was hitting my toes too many times that caused it. For peeling, if you look at your toes in the backswing and keep your head neutral, you will not peel. PM me if you want any other suggestions. I have collected a lot over time, some from past CB forums. Just take it easy on DD and give her lots of support. It's really a tough thing to go through. Good luck!

Oh man, I feel your pain! My DD got her flyaway a year ago. She had it for a whole 2 (3?) practices, and then her coach fell on her after she landed one- and he's was a not a small man. And then he got mad at her and blamed her for his falling. And then the flyaway took a nice, long vacation. It's only recently come home.

not until spring? curious when your comp season is. our first meet is nov 6th and ends in march. dd is a new level 6. we didn't so much have flyaway woes and was fine with the baby giant/flyaway she needed for her lvl 5 mobility meet. she did have an easier time doing a tuck flyaway vs. layout flyaway. she just held onto her landing the layout one at the meet. now she does it no problem. what we had issues with was her kip, cast flyaway. she got through it, on her time, and has her cast handstand flyaway now. just needs to string it with her kip.
if her meet season isn't until spring, she's got a ton of time until then to get it. i'm sure your gym does this but my dd did a lot of practice "letting go" on the pit bar. she'd do a cast and then let go and fall on her back.

she'll get it!

Thanks all! Nice to know I am not alone! So hard always helping your child then suddenly not being able to help!!
I picked up DD from school today and she was already stressing about the flyaway and told me her stomach felt weird! I told her you don't even know if it's a flyaway bars day today - breathe!!! It's going to be an long road !!
Our competition season for optional begins the first week in January and runs through March for states.

Been there. My DD broke her big toe doing one and was in a boot for 5 weeks. She still is hesitant doing them and will only do it with coach standing there.

Same here! DD hit toes on bar in July, fell on displaced mats and partially tore 2 ligaments in her ankle. Crutches, boots, brace etc. She just got back last week full practice and is terrified of this skill. Bars used to be "her jam". Now she hates them. I've gotten her 2 privates to try and get her confidence back, but she let go to late and landed on her neck. Now she's back to not letting go. I can't watch bars, it's too heart breaking. She will likely scratch bars at States next week :(

The coaches say more reps, drills, and time. Who has time?! Lol! I trust the coaches know what they are doing and how to bring her back.

I'll be watching this post for any good advice out there!

Happens, no big deal. She pretend you don't care at all. :)

Yes and no. The kids is upset, Mom can comfort and care while also removing pressure. Mom, hug her, remind her of her overall progress in the sport, that she is tough and encourage her that she will get past this in time.

Mine went to practice yesterday with the attitude that she was just going to try it even though she was scared. She did some cast to handstand layout flyaways. Now she just needs to get it out of her giants.

Congrats everyone! Now you guys send those fairies this way please! LOL! DD is just now really doing drills again, but they backed off completely off of it for a while, I'm hoping she can compete it at some point this season.

My dd is full of surprises this week. She got a bar assignment tonight and her coach just told her to go for it. She did her layout flyaway out of giants for the first time. I sure wish I could have seen it. Now she just needs to build up her confidence but she is getting closer.

Yay! Progress!

And my DD is now getting lightly spotted on the real bar. It's taken about 6 weeks to get to this point. Fingers crossed!

I know this might sound creepy, but its a small world. I was in your daughters state squad in level five and saw her compete a nice bar routine [emoji4]

I know this might sound creepy, but its a small world. I was in your daughters state squad in level five and saw her compete a nice bar routine [emoji4]
Was this reply for me? My DD scratched bars at State. Maybe it was another meet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back