Flyaway Help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymgirlgc

Hello Everyone,
Ok, so I have my first competition of the season in 2 weeks. I have everything accept my flyaway on bars. I have good flyaways in the pit bar when my coach is standing there. She doesn't spot me or even touch me, but the second she steps away I over think it and wont let go of the bar. It's like my hands are glued to the bar! I have one more practice in the pit bar but then my coach says the next day I have to do it on the regular bar. Any tips or ideas? Thanks!

Hey,

Your allowed to have your coach stand in at the comp, and there is no deduction as long she doesnt make contact with you.

My way of feeling a dismount (assuming your not doing a chinese tap into it) is on your forward swing, just feel your hips come up and follow them out.

If your fear is hitting the bar and not and landing, then try, over the pit bar, just from small swings, let go at a horizontal and practice landing flat on your back.

Don't rush things, fear isn't always a bad thing, it can sometimes be telling you that something isn't right and that you need to ask your coach to do a lot more preps so you feel comfortable.

Thank you!
So glad there isn't a deduction because i'm guessing that is what we will do at the first meet. I like the idea of just feeling your hips come up so I will definitely try it. I have been doing tap swings to my back and the have helped quite a bit also. Thanks again!

whenever my dd is scared to do something unspotted, she works it systematically. The coach spots the first couple, then just stands there ready to catch if needed, then takes 1 step back, 2 steps, etc. The next practice, she likely has go through it again but usually by the 3rd practice she can start by just having the coach stand by. It really has helped her get over a lot of her fears and we are noticing she doesn't need as much repetition as she does this with more skills. She is beginning to trust that the coaches know what they are doing and wouldn't let her throw a skill unspotted if she wasn't ready.

I think that everyone learning a flyaway goes through this at least once. It took me 1 month to learn to just let go of the bar.. and then I stopped working them for 1 month..
I then switched gyms, and started them again.. I got it immediately, and it was a layout.
I switched gyms AGAIN, and I did it for 2 months, on set.. competition landing surface. THEN, I lost it..
I immediately went to a low pit bar, with a spot.. Then by myself, then the high pit bar, then i got it quickly back on to the mat, within 1 day.
My friend had her flyaway for 3-4 months, and then lost it for a full month.. She got it back now!
Its just that frustrating feeling of I WANT TO, but I CANT! Like literally, you cant let go!!

I will tell you.. You will get it back!!! I have a trick, when you get mental on any skill, when you are getting ready to do it.. In this case, when you are doing tap swings, dont think about it... No matter what, dont think ANYTHING! I just make noises in my head, "BUZZZZZZ, BEEEEEP..etc.." Its amazing that, that really helps.. But trust me it makes a difference!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back