WAG Flyaway: Please Help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flipandfly

Gymnast
I am a training five who has competed level four twice already, and has all her skills for level five but the flyaway. I have like four weeks to get it back (had it a year ago) or else I can't compete. I have somewhat of a mental block on the tucking part and can't seem to get myself to do it even though everyone tells me "just do it!" I am mainly just really confused and won't get the amount of spot I need. Please, I know this was long, but if there is ANY sort of mental thing that helps you let go and do it, please comment below [emoji175]

I know exactly how you feel! I struggled with flyaways on and off for years, even after I knew I was fully capable of them. What helped me was to have a visual cue to let go. My coach would put her arm up, and when I saw it, I knew to let go of the bar. The hardest part is letting go! You can also do the same thing by looking at your toes. As soon as you see your toes at the front of your swing, let go of the bar. The rest of the flyaway happens almost automatically if you've been doing them with a spot for awhile. The most important thing for me with flyaways was committing to actually letting go! Good luck, and don't beat yourself up over it!! It'll come with time.

Just wanted to offer you some sympathy and a reassurance that you aren't the only one. That darn flyaway has nearly caused my dd a nervous breakdown this week b/c she has an L5 score out meet next week. Same issue as you, a huge mental block, and even though she has done it and is capable of doing it, she's just scared. Maybe the best thing you can do it just to try to put it out of your head over the weekend and when it's time to go back to the gym all week, try to go with a more relaxed attitude towards it. I told my dd to just stop being so hard on herself, if she gets it, great, if not it's really not the end of the world. But as long as she is so worked up about it, there's no way in the world she will be able to do it. So for our house their will be absolutely NO mention of the "F" word this weekend (by that I mean flyaway of course :p) and I'm hoping by the time next week rolls around she will have relaxed a little about the situation. Maybe that would help you too? Best of luck!

I know exactly how you feel! I struggled with flyaways on and off for years, even after I knew I was fully capable of them. What helped me was to have a visual cue to let go. My coach would put her arm up, and when I saw it, I knew to let go of the bar. The hardest part is letting go! You can also do the same thing by looking at your toes. As soon as you see your toes at the front of your swing, let go of the bar. The rest of the flyaway happens almost automatically if you've been doing them with a spot for awhile. The most important thing for me with flyaways was committing to actually letting go! Good luck, and don't beat yourself up over it!! It'll come with time.

@gymnastbeth thank you, that means a lot... I will try it next week <3

Just wanted to offer you some sympathy and a reassurance that you aren't the only one. That darn flyaway has nearly caused my dd a nervous breakdown this week b/c she has an L5 score out meet next week. Same issue as you, a huge mental block, and even though she has done it and is capable of doing it, she's just scared. Maybe the best thing you can do it just to try to put it out of your head over the weekend and when it's time to go back to the gym all week, try to go with a more relaxed attitude towards it. I told my dd to just stop being so hard on herself, if she gets it, great, if not it's really not the end of the world. But as long as she is so worked up about it, there's no way in the world she will be able to do it. So for our house their will be absolutely NO mention of the "F" word this weekend (by that I mean flyaway of course :p) and I'm hoping by the time next week rolls around she will have relaxed a little about the situation. Maybe that would help you too? Best of luck!

Thank you! Good luck to your daughter as well. Relaxing definitely sounds like a good idea...

My XP DD who just got her flyaway says "use the motion from the swing to help get there faster and get upside down" She says "tap, tap candle, release tuck" while she is going She also told herself "You have to want it more than you are afraid of it" Lots of luck to you!!

Wish I could help, my daughters coach says the flyaway itself is easy. It's getting past the fear and just doing it that is hard.

So invoking Nike, just do it.

Ps a few of our girls, daughter included seemed to find a flyaway layout easier then a tuck. Just a thought. Something about their swings...... Clueless mom who can't explain it. Just what I have heard a bunches of 8-10 yr olds talk about.

Wish I could help, my daughters coach says the flyaway itself is easy. It's getting past the fear and just doing it that is hard.

So invoking Nike, just do it.

Ps a few of our girls, daughter included seemed to find a flyaway layout easier then a tuck. Just a thought. Something about their swings...... Clueless mom who can't explain it. Just what I have heard a bunches of 8-10 yr olds talk about.
Supposedly my 8 year old says it's much easier to over rotate, thus making it harder. Bahaha

I hope its not too late to post one more time in this thread but... After longer than I expected I finally have the flyaway! For those of you who might be looking at this thread for tips on this skill in the future, what helped me was time and advice from my understanding, non-bars coach. I started with over-the-shoulders and then moved to flyaways into the pit with a noodle as a guide for when to let go and flip. Thank you guys for your support!

Good for you!! Congrats! I love hearing success stories, especially from a gymnast's mouth!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back