Flyaway (Tuck)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have just got by tuck flyaway when my coach left our gym (family issues) I only ever did them on the normal bars and never in the pit. The coach who is taking her place needs me to do them in the pit before the high bar. The thing is my problem is not on the landing so the pit isn't helpful. My real problem is I won't let go of the bar. I have done it a couple times but I truely don't know why I just can't let go of the bar. any help? I think I am scared or I just forget (probably both).

HELP
what should I do so I let go
each time when I think "this time I'll let go . . . I don't"

Picture yourself doing it. Take a deep breath, and really believe that you can do it. Then, when you are swinging, count to three swings, and on the third one, just let go and flip. Your body knows how to it, and you will get around no matter what! Don't over think it, just swing and go. I used to have so many flyaway problems, and you the only way to truly get over the fear is to GO!

You can also do timers to your back in the pit. Do the swing 3 times thing, and then let go in the front swing to your back in the pit, just to get used to letting go of the bar. Good luck!!!
ETA: When you see your toes in the front swing, that's the perfect time to let go of the bar.

I used to be scared to do fly aways but then this thing just came over me and i was so confident. it took me a long time! on beam, i am working on back walkovers and my coach told me count to three and if i dont go on three then get off. so what you should do is dont think about it to much, becuase if you do, you will freak yourself out. i hope i helped!

You could do timers into the pit where you let go of the bar but dont flip and just land on your back.
Before you go picture your self doing it, take a deep breath and just tell yourself that you can do it!!!
Good luck!!!!

I never learned how to do a flyaway into the pit until I was 100% confident on the regular bar...I did a lot of drills...a LOT of drills (I had a broken foot, so I couldn't actually land on my feet doing a flyaway)...and eventually, once I healed, tried them with a spot and wound up FINALLY going for it after the drills.

This post is old, and Im pretty sure you have it by now...But for the other gymnast reading with the same problem heres my tips... :)

I just started learning them too, and the same thing happened to me! I would timers just wonderful! Let go everytime! Then my coach said to do the timer...but just tuck and I would rotate!

So..I went for it, and it was like my hands were glued to the bar! They just wouldn't let go! I would tell myself I can do it, and I would have a plan to do...and my body wouldn't! SO this is what helped:

My coach told me to count as I was taping, and as soon as I heard 3..Tuck and open my palms!

(Count when the tap is in front!)
1st tap swing, 1....
2nd tap swing, 2....
3rd tap swing, 3... Open palms and tuck!

Once you do it once, you will do it again! So just go for it! It also helped to grab the back of my thighs at first... so that I would let go, and rotate!

haha even though this post is old, I am still stuggling with flyaways . . . just differently now. I am letting go too early. My problem has completely turned around , but thanks gymnastjaiderz anyway.

Well, for letting go too early, are you spotting something before you let go? When I learned flyaways, I learned to let go when my feet reached a certain spot on the wall. Another way of saying this that helped my teammate was that she couldn't let go of the bar until she saw her feet in front of her.
Hope this helps,
gymluvr :)

My coach told me to count as I was taping, and as soon as I heard 3..Tuck and open my palms!

(Count when the tap is in front!)
1st tap swing, 1....
2nd tap swing, 2....
3rd tap swing, 3... Open palms and tuck!

Once you do it once, you will do it again! So just go for it! It also helped to grab the back of my thighs at first... so that I would let go, and rotate!

Thanks for this post. I am going to show it to my DD and hopefully it can help her too! SHe is struggling with letting go of the bar also!!

haha even though this post is old, I am still stuggling with flyaways . . . just differently now. I am letting go too early. My problem has completely turned around , but thanks gymnastjaiderz anyway.

Many times...if a gymnast is letting go too early...they are scared of hitting the bar. I would recommend doing lots of drills and reps with a spot.

Also check out these posts:

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/tags/flyaway.html

And this Google search:

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...hrome&ie=UTF-8&q=site:chalkbucket.com+flyaway

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back