WAG Food for judges at meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kayjaybe

Proud Parent
If you are a judge or work providing judges food at meets, what do you provide for them? The few people that handled this area for meets we host are no longer with the gym and I'm helping take over that area.

Are there any requirements of what must be provided? (E.g. Vegetarian options, food allergy requirements, variety, volume or price requirements?)

Also, how nicely is it presented? The prior organizers used a ton of their own glass & ceramic serving pieces and decorate the room and have nice tablecloths, etc. Do you see a lot of that at meets?

Or do the coaches & judges get the same food and presentation?

Thanks for any help you can give!

I guess like everything else it's probably different everywhere, but I've worked judges food for both my DDs gyms, and at both the coaches and judges ate in the same area, the same food. Yes, there were nice serving ware and some thought to presentation. At both gyms they were served homemade food and it was different for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and from day to day. We tend to have the same judges again and again, so preferences (like vegetarian) or allergies/intolerances are known at this point and are accommodated.

As far as I understand, coaches and judges usually get the same thing. I am trying to remember what our coaches said they liked the most. They were pretty thrilled by the food at one meet. I think it was a variety of chili, ie multiple pots of different types with toppings to add. I think they found eating a bowl of something was easier than a plate full of food or finger food too.

Make your own sandwich stuff could be nice, as they can make it how they like it.

Make sure there is always some snacky veggies and fruits.

Breakfast can be simple, fruit, bagels, instant oatmeal etc.

Also, coffee, iced tea and soda is important. They want the caffeine.

One of our meets sells the best teriyaki bowls at their concession stand.
I imagine this for coaches and judges would be good too. It's just steamed rice, steamed broccoli, cooked chicken and teriyaki sauce. Have each piece ready in a crock pot and they can assemble the bowl as they would like it.

We have our home meet and host states at a large facility downtown. We get lots of compliments on the food! There is a room off to the side (for both coaches and judges) and we have people sign up to bring things for the different sessions. The early sessions are usually bagels, fruit, OJ ect, and the later sessions are more lunch/dinner food like pizza, BBQ, cold cuts, soup, salads... Coffee and soda all day of course! We have cookies and other desserts too and of course water. We use an online signup site to avoid duplicates and make sure all the sessions are covered. It works out really nicely and everyone seems happy with it! Good luck :)

Our gym has had some good luck with getting local restaurants to donate judges and coach's meals for the meet we host, and the judge's seem to love it. I think they also provide alternate food if they don't like what is being catered in (salad, sandwiches, etc.) Also the whole team brings desserts, snacks and drinks (separated by level, one level brings desserts (bite size, easy to eat on the go), one brings drinks, etc.) and they also have a candy buffet (M&Ms, Hershey kisses, reeses, etc.) So the judges at our meet or meets (we usually host a state meet too) are VERY well fed and happy lol. Oddly enough, our meets tend to be some of the highest scoring meets of the season. Coincidence?? Or does full happy judges equal higher scores?? o_O;);):p:p LOL!

I guess like everything else it's probably different everywhere, but I've worked judges food for both my DDs gyms, and at both the coaches and judges ate in the same area, the same food. Yes, there were nice serving ware and some thought to presentation. At both gyms they were served homemade food and it was different for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and from day to day. We tend to have the same judges again and again, so preferences (like vegetarian) or allergies/intolerances are known at this point and are accommodated.

No, the coaches and judges are supposed to be in separate areas, if even by a curtain.

If you are a judge or work providing judges food at meets, what do you provide for them? The few people that handled this area for meets we host are no longer with the gym and I'm helping take over that area.

Are there any requirements of what must be provided? (E.g. Vegetarian options, food allergy requirements, variety, volume or price requirements?)

Also, how nicely is it presented? The prior organizers used a ton of their own glass & ceramic serving pieces and decorate the room and have nice tablecloths, etc. Do you see a lot of that at meets?

It's actually outlined in the Rules and Policies. And I don't know about other states/regions, but here host gyms do not have to provide for the coaches. But they do have to provide for the judges. Non-fast food meals, with a variety. If a judge has allergies or food challenges, he/she is asked to bring their own if it would put a burden on the host gym.

In JO region 5 x 6 years we've only been to 1 meet that had them together, always separate rooms/spaces for coaches and judges, and our home meet it was known that that was required.
(and that 1 meet, the concession stand was outside in a camper, with the judges and coaches hospitality in a back corner of the gym, there was no space for anyone/anything (spectators were honestly right up agains the landing mats and side mats on beam. It was not a pleasant meet for anyone)

Our (old gyms) coaches became very vocal and demanding on what we had the last year I was there- no soups and sandwiches, they wanted catered meals and demanded qdoba??? But over the years we mostly did soup, salad, chilis, sandwiches, pasta salad, pasta, potato bars, build your own burrito, BBQ, bagels, fruit, yogurt etc.

In JO region 5 x 6 years we've only been to 1 meet that had them together, always separate rooms/spaces for coaches and judges, and our home meet it was known that that was required.
(and that 1 meet, the concession stand was outside in a camper, with the judges and coaches hospitality in a back corner of the gym, there was no space for anyone/anything (spectators were honestly right up agains the landing mats and side mats on beam. It was not a pleasant meet for anyone)

Our (old gyms) coaches became very vocal and demanding on what we had the last year I was there- no soups and sandwiches, they wanted catered meals and demanded qdoba??? But over the years we mostly did soup, salad, chilis, sandwiches, pasta salad, pasta, potato bars, build your own burrito, BBQ, bagels, fruit, yogurt etc.

That attitude from the coaches and other things that happened is what prompted the new guidelines that gyms don't have to provide hospitality for the coaches. Most still do, even if just drinks and finger food, but they don't have to.

I will take your word for it, but it remains that I've never seen it done that way.

Directly from USA Gymnastics Guidelines for hosting a meet:
. "Coaches’ and Judges’ Hospitalityi. Coordinate with the Volunteer of Decorations to continue the theme of the competition in setting up the coaches’ and judges’ hospitality room. The judges’ hospitality room should be separate from the coaches’ room." (This was found with a Google search)

Not to sound like I'm picking or anything, but often when I read your posts and "this is how it's done here" descriptions, I start to wonder if anyone in your area actually reads and follows the Rules and Policies, and official procedures of USA Gymnastics? Because you describe so many things that are bending the rules, or just completely against policy.

Coaches and judges need to be separate so that there's no hint of favoritism, or discussing of scores or gymnasts, or anything else that would be unethical. Even if just perceived. Judges and coaches aren't even supposed to talk to each other during meets outside of necessary communication on the floor. I've been in this world for 13 years as mom, employee, and judge, and I don't think I've ever seen coaches and judges sharing hospitality space, even in other states, regions, etc.

I wanted to add that you can find an actual meet responsibilities from USA gymnastics that covers all your questions. I just googled it, and found it. Good luck!

Not to sound like I'm picking or anything, but often when I read your posts and "this is how it's done here" descriptions, I start to wonder if anyone in your area actually reads and follows the Rules and Policies, and official procedures of USA Gymnastics? Because you describe so many things that are bending the rules, or just completely against policy.

Hey, I said I believed you, and even if I felt it was picking- pick away. I have only been at this rodeo for about three years now, including rec time, so everything I post as an anecdote to the things I've seen done is just that- the way I've seen things done. I don't ever purport to be an expert.

If rules are broken (and I am not sure to which other posts you are referring when you say "often") then that's what is happening in our tiny sphere of a single area of a single region.

I am in region one (two for t&t DD), the Bay Area to be specific, and I've not hidden that at all. I'm really not even sure of the myriad of rules that exist, let alone those that I've told about being broken, outside of what I learn about on here as I go. I am happy for the continued education, but basically nothing at any gym has ever been, or is likely to be, my call outside what I will personally bake/cook.

Thanks everyone! This has been helpful.

We do have separate areas for coaches & judges so no problems there.

The folks that organized before had said there was a rule where there needed to be enough of everything for every judge to have a serving. So if the dessert was cupcakes and there were chocolate and vanilla, then every judge must be able to have both a chocolate & vanilla cupcake. This seemed like overkill and resulted in a lot of wasted food. (I don't know anyone that is going to eat egg casserole AND bacon AND a bagel AND a muffin AND cereal AND an apple AND a banana for breakfast. We'd have enough of each of those for every single judge to be able to have one rather than figuring some people will take one thing and some will take another and, as adults, if you are last in line, every single option might not still be available.)

Directly from USA Gymnastics Guidelines for hosting a meet:
. "Coaches’ and Judges’ Hospitalityi. Coordinate with the Volunteer of Decorations to continue the theme of the competition in setting up the coaches’ and judges’ hospitality room. The judges’ hospitality room should be separate from the coaches’ room." (This was found with a Google search)

Coaches and judges need to be separate so that there's no hint of favoritism, or discussing of scores or gymnasts, or anything else that would be unethical. Even if just perceived. Judges and coaches aren't even supposed to talk to each other during meets outside of necessary communication on the floor. I've been in this world for 13 years as mom, employee, and judge, and I don't think I've ever seen coaches and judges sharing hospitality space, even in other states, regions, etc.
Maybe I'm remembering it wrong (we've only been at this gym a year and the old gym was tiny and did not host meets), but how @MILgymFAM describes is how ours is too. And we're in Region 6-totally opposite side of the country. One cool thing I've learned here is that gyms do things very differently, and what seems crazy in one area is totally normal in another. And rules are definitely broken (like the scoring out of compulsories situation). I'm not saying it's right, but it happens. That is a good point though-I would have never thought about possible favoritism. It does make sense why they'd have such a rule. I worked the score pad entry so was sitting with the judges and was surprised how much they chatted with the coaches. It was nice, just not what I expected. Maybe because we're not in a super competitive area? I'm still learning :)

I am in CAand more often than not gyms provide a separate sitting/eating area for the judges, even if it just is a small office or curtained off area.(especially for state meets and larger invitationals held at large facilities) Food for coaches and judges is generally together in a buffet style presentation. Ocasionnally smaller gyms my not have the space to do this if they are hosting a smaller meet, everyone just kind of looks the other way,

Hospitality rooms??
Haha here you'd be lucky if there are more than 2 toilets at most gyms.
Usually snacks/sweets on judges table and then something for between sessions sandwiches/soup etc.

I've been doing hosting at our gym for a couple of years. Judges and coaches get the same food with the exception of sometimes having special cookies or cupcakes for judges at the end of the day. They definitely DO NOT eat together. The parent volunteers are also under strict order to leave the judges alone. We set up their room for the meal just before the end of the flight they're judging then make ourselves scarce.
We've had good success with finding local restaurants to cater in exchange for ads in our program and otherwise prepare most of the food ourselves with supplies paid for by the gym.
We did a salad bar last year for lunch which was very popular. Gym coaches are usually pretty health concious and they loved it. We had mixed greens, grilled chicken, bean salad and raw veggies with a few different dressings.
The taco bar usually works well too. Meat can be kept warm in a crockpot.
Our gym has lots of serving trays in the kitchen so presentation isn't ever a problem.
Lastly, make sure you plan your meals well around flights. We make up a schedule in Excel so we know who needs to be fed what when.

Well, also not to sound like I'm picking, but I'm backing up @MILgymFAM here too-all the meets we've attended (except state) had the coaches and judges eating together. It may be against the official rules, but that doesn't mean it's not done. Thirteen years is the sport and knowing the way it should be done doesn't mean that's the way it's done evetywhere. Not sure why you would call her out like she's lying or something.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back