1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food suggestions

Discussion in 'Canada' started by kitkat, Jan 19, 2018.

1. kitkat

kitkat Active Member Proud Parent

Canada Canada
    Need some help in the food area. Alex is a pretty good eater. She doesn't drink pop, eat candy, chips, etc.
    But over the last 12 months - last 6 months being the worst... she had some weight gain (although not a lot) but enough to be lacking energy.
    Alex went through some pretty horrible emotional and verbal treatment.... where she almost had a breakdown. We saw several physicians - had lots of blood work, etc. All her blood levels are good.
    They tell me that the weight gain can be directly related to this stress. But I want to help her get her energy back.

So that being said... I would love to hear about some of your typical daily meals.
    Feel free to PM me directly if you want.

Thanks CB parents...

ProvB likes this.

2. trampolinemom

trampolinemom Member Proud Parent

Netherlands Netherlands
    Sp she is growing, probably her hormones are kicking in, she is training very hard and eating healthy. If changes to her diet need to be made I would be very careful with food suggestions from the internet and ask advice on this subject from a sportsdietist. Good luck to her, it sounds like she is having a tough time.

kitkat likes this.
  3. LGnyc

LGnyc Member Proud Parent

USA USA
    I've posted this before but I know it gets lost in the many threads. I have worked a pediatric sports nutritionist in my professional life. Feel free to look her up if that helps -- Jill Castle. She has a website and was doing private consults. She also wrote a book: Eat Like a Champion. It might give you guidance. I do agree with trampolinemom. Every kid is different in how he/she responds to food metabolically and emotionally. I think the advice should come from a credentialed source. Good luck.

kitkat likes this.
  4. QueenBee

QueenBee Member Proud Parent

USA USA
    Agree with the others on getting an expert involved in this. To move away from the food a second...how is she sleeping? When my oldest had insomnia, she gained quite a bit of weight over a several month period (about 7-10 lbs, but on a tiny frame that is a lot). We worked with her doctors to improve the sleeping situation and the weight came off (within 2-3 months). The easiest & best piece of advice we got was to remove electronics from oldest's room 1 hr before she wanted to go to sleep. Our doctor said the light emitted from the laptop & cell phone can mess with circadian rhythms and hinder sleeping cycles. I hadn't known that weight gain can be a side effect to lack of sleep so it was a real "the more you know" moment.

I hope you are able to figure this out, sending good vibes your way.

strawberries likes this.

5. strawberries

strawberries Verified Coach Verified Coach Proud Parent Former Gymnast

USA USA
    In my experience, stress and sleep are by far the biggest factors.