Food/timing help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Busymum

Proud Parent
Hi all.

My daughter has just had her hours upped as she has moved from a trial group into the development squad at her gym. The extra day is a Monday. Thing is, she has to be at gym for 4 o clock but doesn't get out of school until 3:30. So I have 30 mins to drive her to gym, get her changed and get a snack down her that is substantial enough to see her through 3 hours of training until 7!! Any suggestions? I'm stuck as not only are we short on time, she can be a fuss pot with food and I work full time - luckily I can get away early on a Monday to get her there!

Any help very much appreciated!

I would take a packed lunch box for her to snack in the car on the way. There are lots of threads if you search about suggestions. Milkshake is a good one, smoothies, fruit, flapjack etc. Small sandwich.

A container of something she can munch a handful of in the changing rooms when she gets a drink might help get her through if allowed.

Depending on what your dd has at school just before home time it may be possible for her to get changed at school just before she comes out which will reduce your stress once you get to gym if you are really short of time. Some kids become adept at 'car changing' lol.

Thermos. Lots can go in it. Hot or cold

Smoothies, ravioli, dumplings, peirogi, mac and cheese, eggs.......

Really whatever she eats, some carbs and protein.

Rinse and repeat on the way home or at home.

I find if my daughter doesn't eat much in the evening, she eats a ton for breakfast and that is where I try to pump it up.

Thermos. Lots can go in it. Hot or cold

Smoothies, ravioli, dumplings, peirogi, mac and cheese, eggs.......

Really whatever she eats, some carbs and protein.

Rinse and repeat on the way home or at home.

I find if my daughter doesn't eat much in the evening, she eats a ton for breakfast and that is where I try to pump it up.

I'll invest in a thermos. Thanks for the tips.

We had the same situation last year. DS would have one or two of the following: cheese & crackers, protein bar (I'm experimenting with some homemade ones), half a ham or turkey sandwich, fruit, and milk. He changes in the car.

This year practice is longer so he gets a dinner break. I don't feel as much pressure to load him up since he won't have to wait as long to eat.

Reactions: sce
Just think of it as a second, smaller lunch. So make sure it is well rounded in its nutrition. Small amounts of a wide range of things. e.g.

Some salad, a piece of meat, some toast with peanut butter.
A banana, leftover noodles, some meat.
Leftovers from last night's dinner (assuming it was a well-rounded meal!)
A salad sandwich with meat, and a piece of fruit.

If all that seems too much, go for smaller portions. My daughter tends to eat a lot. On the few occasions that we have made up a full day's worth of food for her at the beginning of the day, it seems like a mountain of food for someone so scrawny!

How did you go? We had a dietician talk at our gym a couple of years ago and said that the pre-training snack should be about carbohydrates.

I have to say that my daughter doesn't like anything with dairy in it at that time of the day. Sushi, small pasta/rice dishes or crackers and cheese are about as much as she wants. I have learned to pack a lot more for her to eat during the day in preparation.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back