WAG Foot angle in leaping and splits

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

stxrdusty

Coach
Gymnast
In static splits and leaping it's ideal to have the feet slightly turned out. However, feet naturally turn-in when in my splits and I was wondering what could be causing this. This has been happening for about a year, prior to which I could turn my feet out in the splits. I'm wondering if a particular muscle group is "too tight". Has anyone else experienced this?

That happens to me as well. Even just in splits. I have found that wearing sneakers while stretching and doing splits between mats has helped... but only a little. My physical therapist (I'm there for my ankle) said that some muscles near my calves are probably very tight, and on the other side they are looser, causing an imbalance.

That happens to me as well. Even just in splits. I have found that wearing sneakers while stretching and doing splits between mats has helped... but only a little. My physical therapist (I'm there for my ankle) said that some muscles near my calves are probably very tight, and on the other side they are looser, causing an imbalance.

Knowing my ankles and injuries that sounds reasonable, thank you!

As a former ballet dancer, I can tell you turnout is something you have to work on. It should come from your hip, not your knee or ankle. If your gym does any dance training, or you have time to do a ballet class once a week, that would help.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back