For all you cheer haters..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

On the Olympic front the ICU has met with officials concerning the inclusion of cheer in future Olympic games. This is a long process, but one that both the ICU and USA Cheer are vigorously pursuing. As of today we have not been approved to be an exhibition sport in the 2012 or 2016 Olympic games. However, with over 65 member countries now in the ICU and more adding each week, our case to become an Olympic sport only becomes more and more compelling. In the meantime USA Cheer will continue to support the ICU in their efforts to expand our great sport world wide.

Bill Seely
Executive Director
USA Federation for Sport Cheering

Regarding Team USA:

The detailed tryout information will be online by July 1st. Athletes trying out for Team USA must be 18 years of age prior to December 1st and be able to commit to the two week mandatory training from from April 11-24, 2010.

I worked the ICU World Championship this year. INCREDIBLE talent out there, Team USA was amazing, as was Thailand (had they hit the end of their routine, it was lights out). I would love to see this get to the Olympic level, get some good publicity, and with a greater awareness of the sport, some universal regulations (there are still some places out there that have cheer competitions on hardwood floors or wrestling mats...not many, but really? Why is this still happening?) and safety rules created by those who know cheerleading--this is in place at the all-star level, but not anywhere else--as well as comprehensive coaching education and certification programs. Cheerleading has come so far in such a short amount of time; in general people either think of the "stereotypical" model or are afraid of what they see, and then these people are the ones who either allow stupid things like wood-floors as an acceptable competition surface OR start banning skills that are actually safe under the right conditions. Cheerleading needs exposure and unified knowledgeable leadership.

We can talk til the cows come home about USAG and regulations and restrictions and frustration with some of it, but overall, kids are generally safe. You don't have some eight-year-old who started gymnastics six months ago doing backhandsprings on beam because some junior coach liked how the child's backhandspring on floor looked, right? In cheering, you might have an eight-year-old on a senior open team being held up by four sixteen-year-olds because some junior coach like how the eight-year-old's heel-stretch looked on floor, or tossed twenty feet in the air because the toe-touch looked nice. It doesn't happen everywhere, but there's nothing that prevents it from happening. There's a leveling system in all-star cheer, but no absolute requirements or regulations to move up--coach's discretion only. Individual gyms have different policies, different companies have different requirements and UCA has the beginnings of a coaches credentialing program, but there is nothing mandated or monitored, unless you are level 5 and going to Worlds. We could use a little more regulation.

So basically I just rambled on. Sorry to hijack. And I can't believe I actually said some of that. Wow.

You know, I am not against Cheer becoming an Olympic event - my dd (age 10) did Cheer this past season (Jr. World Team) - and I can honestly say that from my perspective as a completely "green" parent, there is truly a ton of incredible talent in Cheer. The stunting and flying and basing are learned skills, just like gym skills, certainly nothing to be scoffed at.

However, having said that, I agree with CreateMagic - it is an up and coming sport and needs more regulation. When I would sit and watch practices I would cringe (and outright gasp sometimes, LOL) at some of the tumbling. I was quite sure someone would break a neck or at the very least get a concussion. I certainly saw many close calls - stuff that no athlete would be allowed to do in most gymnastics clubs.

While I tried not to be judgemental (cause after all I knew NOTHING about this sport when dd started), it wasn't long before I became quite disenchanted with Cheer - it has great potential and absolutely requires a very high skill level at the top end - I'm just not sure that it has evolved to a place yet where the kids are as safe as possible, while still being able to achieve greatness :). I think perhaps they are moved along a little too quickly, and of course, as CreateMagic says, It doesn't happen everywhere, but there's nothing that prevents it from happening.

Cheerleading is not yet at a stage where it should become an Olympic sport, I liken it to synchro swimming ( and that shouldn't be an Olympic sport either) to much make up and bling. But I love to watch Cheer, it is so much fun and greta for the girls, but the ugly tumbling and some seriously dangerous stunts. It needs more control and guideleines.

But since the inclusion of bordercross in the 2006 Olympics I realise anything goes. We should go back to the original format of strong, naked men leaping over equipment in the Athens sunshine. What was so wrong with that????

Frisbee is an Olympic Sport, why not cheer? Though I am slightly biased against cheer itself, those kids that go and compete, that is some crazy stuff, and can be enjoyable to watch. I think it would be fun to be a flyer, but because of my size(not the requisite <100lbs lol) I was always base. Aw well :p

You are right on! Except for the fact that an 8 year can be on a Sr. team, they can't it's illegal. But the great gyms do have credentialing but many do not. In cheer you have to "hope" the judges like your routine, if not no matter what your skills you will lose. Whereas in gymnastics everyone has the same routine and scores accordingly.

My daughter spent time at ones of those gyms that will put a 6 year old on their Jr team, which is legal. But at the gym we were currently with they were by the book when it came to age and teams. My daughter's Mini team (ages 5-8) had girls who were working fulls and have level 5 flying skills. The owner felt it appropriate to keep them at their maturity level rather than put them with kids who could throw them a mile in the air.

In any case as I have said before, if the kids are getting off the couch and out of the house there is no need to put them down!

I worked the ICU World Championship this year. INCREDIBLE talent out there, Team USA was amazing, as was Thailand (had they hit the end of their routine, it was lights out). I would love to see this get to the Olympic level, get some good publicity, and with a greater awareness of the sport, some universal regulations (there are still some places out there that have cheer competitions on hardwood floors or wrestling mats...not many, but really? Why is this still happening?) and safety rules created by those who know cheerleading--this is in place at the all-star level, but not anywhere else--as well as comprehensive coaching education and certification programs. Cheerleading has come so far in such a short amount of time; in general people either think of the "stereotypical" model or are afraid of what they see, and then these people are the ones who either allow stupid things like wood-floors as an acceptable competition surface OR start banning skills that are actually safe under the right conditions. Cheerleading needs exposure and unified knowledgeable leadership.

We can talk til the cows come home about USAG and regulations and restrictions and frustration with some of it, but overall, kids are generally safe. You don't have some eight-year-old who started gymnastics six months ago doing backhandsprings on beam because some junior coach liked how the child's backhandspring on floor looked, right? In cheering, you might have an eight-year-old on a senior open team being held up by four sixteen-year-olds because some junior coach like how the eight-year-old's heel-stretch looked on floor, or tossed twenty feet in the air because the toe-touch looked nice. It doesn't happen everywhere, but there's nothing that prevents it from happening. There's a leveling system in all-star cheer, but no absolute requirements or regulations to move up--coach's discretion only. Individual gyms have different policies, different companies have different requirements and UCA has the beginnings of a coaches credentialing program, but there is nothing mandated or monitored, unless you are level 5 and going to Worlds. We could use a little more regulation.

So basically I just rambled on. Sorry to hijack. And I can't believe I actually said some of that. Wow.

As a cheer mom of 4 years I completely agree. We often sat around talking about how the rules weren't really put in place as they should be.
I dare anyone who still believes that cheer isn't a sport to take their child to a facility and try flying and then give basing a try. Seriously, those skills are difficult to say the least.

Cheer, while it needs a few tweaks, takes time, training, and a lot of talent to be successful. If it ever becomes a level playing field it will become very interesting.

You know, I am not against Cheer becoming an Olympic event - my dd (age 10) did Cheer this past season (Jr. World Team) - and I can honestly say that from my perspective as a completely "green" parent, there is truly a ton of incredible talent in Cheer. The stunting and flying and basing are learned skills, just like gym skills, certainly nothing to be scoffed at.

However, having said that, I agree with CreateMagic - it is an up and coming sport and needs more regulation. When I would sit and watch practices I would cringe (and outright gasp sometimes, LOL) at some of the tumbling. I was quite sure someone would break a neck or at the very least get a concussion. I certainly saw many close calls - stuff that no athlete would be allowed to do in most gymnastics clubs.

While I tried not to be judgemental (cause after all I knew NOTHING about this sport when dd started), it wasn't long before I became quite disenchanted with Cheer - it has great potential and absolutely requires a very high skill level at the top end - I'm just not sure that it has evolved to a place yet where the kids are as safe as possible, while still being able to achieve greatness :). I think perhaps they are moved along a little too quickly, and of course, as CreateMagic says, It doesn't happen everywhere, but there's nothing that prevents it from happening.

Wow, comparing frisbee to cheer as a sport, pretty incredible. I think most of us agree that gymnastics is and elite sport but taking away from the talent that there needs to be as a TEAM in cheer is unreal.

Frisbee is an Olympic Sport, why not cheer? Though I am slightly biased against cheer itself, those kids that go and compete, that is some crazy stuff, and can be enjoyable to watch. I think it would be fun to be a flyer, but because of my size(not the requisite <100lbs lol) I was always base. Aw well :p

I'm going to say a flat out no (for mostly selfish reasons). Cheerleading is falling under the gymnastics umbrella, and for them to be included in the Olympics, there would be less spots for gymnast (as what has happened in the past). There have been several world medalists have miss out on Olympic berths in the past. I don't want to see hard working gymnasts miss a place for an inferior sport (based on TV ratings). In saying that the direction the FIG is going (especially WG/MG) is ruining the sport anyway so you might just get the spot for free. I am sure there are hard working cheerleaders out there, but I'm afraid the changes will loose the great sport we once had; sadly I think it has almost gone. I wish we could bring back the 80's when gymnastics was cool.

Out of interest, if cheer was included in the Olympics, would you choose individuals to make a special team or choose an outright team?

Im not against cheer and I know they work very hard my girl friends dauggter does it and she works very hard at it but...

I see cheer more in the Dance type catagory. Dancers work very hard too and there are lots of moves like cheer in alot of what is out there today but I don't consider dance to be a sport even though you need great athletic ability, dedication, and lots of practice and hard work to do it. If cheer hits the olympics, I guess we don't have long to wait then for irish step dancing, ballet, toe, tap and Jazz dance to be in the olympics too. Oh how about ball room dancing - the dancing with the stars say its grulling and they have never works so hard.

You are right on! Except for the fact that an 8 year can be on a Sr. team, they can't it's illegal. But the great gyms do have credentialing but many do not. In cheer you have to "hope" the judges like your routine, if not no matter what your skills you will lose. Whereas in gymnastics everyone has the same routine and scores accordingly.

Actually, an 8-year-old can be on a senior open team. Not a senior team (12-18), but a senior open (18 and under). Not to be confused with Open (17+) or International Open (14+, only level 5):eek:

As a parent of an ex gymnast (boy) and two synchronized swimmers, I need to weigh in on this sport or not sport discussion. I will not criticize cheerleading, because I am sure it takes a lot of training, athleticism and dedication, and I know nothing about it, so it is difficult to have an educated opinion. I would watch it and I think its cool.

However, I do have to respond to not thinking synchro should be an Olympic sport. As a mom of two girls who have been in the sport for 12 years, competed for college and made national team trials, I feel competent to comment here about this sport. Water polo, synchro, gymnastics and decathalon are considered to be some of the most grueling sports to train for. Like gymnastics, the learning curve is long, much cross training is needed, there is a true national competion like gymnastics or figure skating, and the hours for training to be an elite mirror gymnastics or skating. In fact, this misunderstood sport is a lot like its cousins, figure skating and gymnastics, where you do wear clothing with stones or glitter and artistic presentation matters. It is scored subjectively, like gym or skating, as well.

I won't bore you all with any more info about synchro. Suffice to say, I really feel synchro needs to remain an Olympic sport as I feel strongly aobut the gymnastic disciplines and skating. If cheerleading gets in, I will probably enjoy watching it too and I have learned never to criticize another sport as my daughters' sport gets so much flak. Thanks for letting me say my piece! :) I promise to go back to lurkdom now! :)

It's the bling and make up that put me off, not the fact that it is a brutal sport. I would prefer Olympic sports not to be about the look and more about the skill and hard work.

I can't hold my breath for more than 30 secs above water, just don't know how they do that and focus. on all the other skills.

There are many sports that don't seem Olympic enouugh for me, but maybe I am a purist. I am gobsmacked that frisbee is an olympic sport, I have learned two things from this thread today.

By the way Gator mom, I love it when threads like these get people into posting, the more input the more we learn.

Actually, I would have no problem if they competed all in black suits and white caps and no make up. I agree that it can detract from the athleticism, not to mention a whole lot less work and money for me! :) Their routines are 4 minutes long and they stay under for probably half of it(not all together of course!)

I love all the artistic sports and feel the Olympics is the place to showcase these and other sports that kids toil at for years without a whole lot of recognition. If it was up to me and they needed to cut sports, I'd support cutting the professional sports from the Olympics, since most of those get a lot of coverage all the time. I personally like the idea of the Olympics being the place to showcase sports without another place to showcase them and where the Olympics is the premier meet, no World Series, NBA championship, etc. Just my humble opinion! :)

Totally agree Gatormom, when they let proffesional atheletes into the Olympics I think the point was lost. It should be about the hrad work not the pay check.

Im not against cheer and I know they work very hard my girl friends dauggter does it and she works very hard at it but...

I see cheer more in the Dance type catagory. Dancers work very hard too and there are lots of moves like cheer in alot of what is out there today but I don't consider dance to be a sport even though you need great athletic ability, dedication, and lots of practice and hard work to do it. If cheer hits the olympics, I guess we don't have long to wait then for irish step dancing, ballet, toe, tap and Jazz dance to be in the olympics too. Oh how about ball room dancing - the dancing with the stars say its grulling and they have never works so hard.

If any of those have the backing to become an olympic sport who are we to condem it?

Pretty much all my cousins and aunts were or are cheerleaders... i own a sweatshirt that says we're gymnasts not cheerleaders. however i do think MOST cheerleaders do deserve alot of respect for their hard work. it just really ticks me off when they think they are amazing cuz they can chuck a handspring. but if they can really tumble, annd dont think they are better than gymnasts just cuz they have a reputation thats great! technically both are great sports and if really good cheerleaders one day an join the olympics then il watch and enjoy it!

If any of those have the backing to become an olympic sport who are we to condem it?

no condeming involved Just my opinion. I guess its all in what we consider the definition of a sport for the olympics is.

There are several of "olympic sports" they have now I don't think should be there.

Ok stepping off my soap box and passing it to the next person.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back