Parents For those with gymnasts who DON'T look forward to summer training....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flippingtogether

Proud Parent
I've noticed so many posts where parents mention that they and their kids love the end of the comp season when uptraining begins and the kids learn new skills. BUT, I have never had the pleasure of this.

I was inspired by another post to give a shout out to any parents whose kids are the exact opposite, like mine. My DD DOESN'T look forward to this time of year - at all!! Ever since she was a compulsory (she just finished her first year at L8) this is our yearly "tradition".

For anyone with a fearful gymnast, a gymnast who will easily get blocks, this is the time of year - really, through the entire summer - where there are a ton of tears. My DD doesn't like being pushed outside her comfort zone, and that is absolutely what this time of year is all about.

So hang in there, any parents with gymnasts like mine, who know the coming months will be rough. It will all be ok, and your kid is absolutely ok as well. This is a tough sport, and I just keep reminding myself that the life lessons - in this case of working through so many tough times, and never giving up - are what will pay off in spades.

I just have to stock up on a lot of kleenex and ice cream :)

I totally get it.
Last year mine cried on the way home from States. Because she knew that they would start pushing the BWO again at the very next practice...
and they did :(

I know....for how many other sports is the practice after States (or last meet of the season) so dreaded by some gymnasts - b/c of how hard (and scary) things get??

Sports like swimming have it so easy :) (OK maybe not, but on the fear side of things, they really do!!)

For mine its not summer, its spring fever. She wants to be outside running around the neighborhood with her friends, after being cooped up all winter.

Windows open, she can hear the kids playing as she gets ready for practice the tears come.......... Once their spring activities kick in she gets back in her groove.

That's pretty sad actually...summer should be a fun time for kids, even ones in summer training. Kind of reminds me of kids who hate "summer reading" assignments because they struggle all year in school and just need a break...I'm a big reader (hence, my screen name) but I've never agreed with mandatory summer reading for just that reason. I don't know what the answer is for gymnastics though....here's hoping for less stressful summers for these kids as they work so hard to begin with.

Our hours don't increase... We only practice 3 days a week... We basically get July off (except 1 week of team camp and 2 weeks of rec camp where the girls can come work out for free). Camps are each 5 days, 2 hours a day... In the late afternoon-early evening.

We have started our up training, but it will ramp up next week when we don't have to worry about anymore meets until the end of June. Instead of routines daily, we can do them once every couple weeks for now.

My DD loves the training and the conditioning but her bff in the gym hates both. DD works hard to get her bff through the summer but realized two summer's ago her friend has to work through her own fears but she supports her all the way through.

summer was always my DD favorite - until she moved to a team where they were set with deadlines and placed in specific groups that were only allowed to uptrain certain skills (ie, if you weren't vaulting on 3 or higher you couldn't do chenko drills, despite the fact that she had flipped her yurchenko into the pit repeatedly at the old gym...not willing to do your giants, no release move drills...not willing to do cartwheel back tuck beam dismount (even if you had roundoff dismount and a standing BT on beam, no other skills allowed...)....Unfortunately she moved gyms right in the middle of fears and vestibular issues...in retrospect a recipe for disaster but we had no choice at the time...

Even for fearful kiddos, spring and early summer should be a time of POSSIBLITY and encouragement - I realize that late summer/fall for some gyms may be a time of tears and limits, but I do hope for most kids the beginning part if fun....esp. as they move up and there are many options. There's usually something they can be working on that is new and exciting even if some events are a struggle.

Now the conditioning? well some kids will never like it...but most learn how important it is and get used to it...

First practice after states was always a celebration at DD first gym...and this year for my youngest he met it with trepidation (last summer he grew 6 inches and couldn't do his old skills, let alone all the new stuff he needed to move up...) but turned around and got three new skills the first week...

I love the idea that we are almost to the time when I don't have all three out past 730 each night...only the teenager will still have late (10pm) music practices - and he's days away from his driver's license...bring summer on!

How about for us poor parents dreading the long commutes. I will be in my car 2- 2 1/2 hours/day 4x/week [emoji22]

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back