WAG Forgetting the mistakes in competition at the Olympics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 26744

Which country's team do you think has the best gymnastics?

This will be opinion of course because different fans value different qualities, but I really think its between China and Russia.

On most days, the US. There is no criteria for best. I think our youngest gymnasts have the most access to training and facilities. I think we are the only country with gymnastics scholarships and club gym in college.

Aussie gymnastics has the most access for adults, I’m jealous about that.

I would break it down by event.

Vault - USA(3 of the top 4 qualifiers at this Olympics)

Beam - China(their technique is impeccable here),

Floor - Russia(their combination of both beautiful artistry/performance/dance and difficult tumbling is above everyone else).

Uneven bars is a little more complicated. I would say Russia and China compete for the deepest bench of difiicult routines, but USA, Great Britain, Germany and Belgium also have athletes among the best bar workers.

Vt: USA
Bars: I don't think any one country excels. At any given time each top country has 1-3 great bar workers

Beam: China hands down. They are so clean and stable. They must spend hours and hours just doing basics on the beam from a very early age all the way up through elite

Floor : tumbling - USA ; overall composition with tumbling: Russia

As for training and opportunities, obviously the US gets the reward. Their decentralization and sheer number of options available allow for a larger pool of potential top level gymnasts

So, on another forum, someone broke it down and US and ROC tied for first with D score, but US was 4th for E score, mostly because of floor where they were last (in team final). Their E scores were 2nd on every other event. I just found it interesting because I think traditionally, we have been considered strong on floor.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back