Frequent injuries

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Wondering if anyone else's dd's seem to have frequent injuries. My dd is healing from a stress fracture in her back, a tendon that pulled away from the bone in her foot, and now the bend of the top of her foot by her ankle is hurting after landing a back tuck too short.
Share your stories if you have any.....if for nothing else, just to make me feel a little better.:(

These injuries could be the result any of the following........

Too many repetitions

Overly ambitious coach or gymnast

Lapses in concentration during skills

Poor skill choices that conflict with her strengths

Absence of proper progression, or too little time spent processing one stage before moving on to the next

Too much or too little flexibility, some times some is good and more is better, but too much in certain body areas can be harmfull

Low strength to weight ratio

Bad luck

This is a broad sample of cuases for injuries. Hopefully some of what I've put down for you will strike a chord and help your dd avoid future injuries.

My DD had two injuries last year (in step 3), but still managed to compete, she only missed one comp. She had a foot injury (posterior impingement) then a coach pulled her hamstring in a stretch. I was hoping for an injury-free year this year (step 4), but no, she's had an ankle injury that has kept her from training properly and she competed only once then missed the whole of the rest of the competition season. This year's injury is similar to Sever's and Osgood-Schlatter but in the inner ankle.

I think it is caused by a combination of factors. She is not flexible and I guess her body isn't built well for gymnastics. Her feet pronate so her feet roll in on landings. Plus I think the coach sometimes makes them do too many reps of high impact activities, such as box jumps.

She has been getting expert medical help for her injuries. It hasn't got her down as much as I expected, I'm quite proud of the patience and mature attitude she has shown, for a 9 year old. I guess she'll be repeating this step again, which she will be disappointed about, especially if all the others in her group move up. I think some people's bodies are more able to take the pounding of gymnastics than others.

Sending healing thoughts for your DD!

Wondering if anyone else's dd's seem to have frequent injuries. My dd is healing from a stress fracture in her back, a tendon that pulled away from the bone in her foot, and now the bend of the top of her foot by her ankle is hurting after landing a back tuck too short.
Share your stories if you have any.....if for nothing else, just to make me feel a little better.:(

how close together are all these injuries?

It's not so much frequent injuries as those little things that are "wrong" with your body that sometimes blossom into full-blown injuries. For example, I tend to roll my ankles in, not during tumbling but during strength exercises like one-legged hops (especially early in the morning when I'm not awake). I do ankle exercises to correct this, but it still happens occasionally. Sometimes this leads to sore ankles and knees, but every once in a while I break the bone on the outside of my foot. This has happened to my right foot twice and my left foot once.

I also have had back pain since I was about 10 or 11. No idea why. Maybe my back just isn't built to do all of these archy things (although my back and shoulder flexibility is fine).

One of the first and easiest things I would check is her Vitamin D levels. Gymnasts are in the gym so much that they don't always get enough sun and their vitamin D is low, which could be a cause of those constant/nagging injuries. This is also easily fixable if her vitamin D is low. I am not saying it's a cure all, but it can help in the reduction of injuries.

I've been in gymnastics for a while, and my some people say that the girls that work hard get injured the most, though I work super hard, and I've only broken my wrists, one time each, both ankles, a stress fracture in my back and a couple shin splints. You could say that, but one of my teammates, she's super determined and works really hard and hasn't had a worse injury than a shin splint. If I had to give any advice, I'd say, drink more milk!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back