WAG From bronze to level 4

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

twin2gymmie

Proud Parent
My DD just competed her first season Xcel Bronze. She did very well. She now wants to jump over Level 3 and go to Level 4. I think that she has the skills needed but am wondering if this would be a good move or not. Does she need to spend a season learning more about form and precise moves on Level 3 before going to 4? She is 10.

My DD just competed her first season Xcel Bronze. She did very well. She now wants to jump over Level 3 and go to Level 4. I think that she has the skills needed but am wondering if this would be a good move or not. Does she need to spend a season learning more about form and precise moves on Level 3 before going to 4? She is 10.
Smarter folks than myself can speak to this better but in my gym the Excel Bronze girls that move to compulsories go to Level 3 and the ones that did so this year are around the same age as your daughter.

Bronze to level 4 is a pretty big jump. The biggest issue I would see would be getting a good consistent kip by next season, it can take a long time for a gymnast to even get their kip, let alone have it ready to compete. Generally if there is a move from bronze to compulsories it would be to Level 3. But then again my dd went from competing Silver last year to competing Level 6 this year and held her own so anything is possible. Just be aware that with making such a big jump that they may not score the best especially at first and may also need two years at the new level (just like my dd will likely need to repeat L6.)

Does the coach agree with skipping level 3? My YDD was bronze last year and moved to 3. She had her kip, ROBHSBHS and FHS, but was still required to complete level 3.

Most of our girls on the Xcel side jump over to level 2 from bronze, or level 3 from bronze/silver, but depending on how quickly she learns and how clean she is, she could be a successful level 4.

We had a girl 9 year old bronze spring 2016 who just missed making the state team and scored high 37s/low 38s as a Bronze. Most of our JO kids start in level 2 or 3, but she started in fall 2016 as a level 4 and had a solid season scoring high 35s/36s. She is now in the level 5 group and will compete a full season of level 5 in fall 2017, and then go to level 6 or 7 in spring 2018. So in two years she will get from Bronze to optionals, and she's doing great. Very talented, hard worker.

My DD jumped from Bronze to level 4 last year age 8/9. She did extremely well in Bronze and not so great in Level 4. That was the biggest adjustment and most difficult. Was it the right decision? Absolutely, she had the skills and was ready to compete them - she just learned that you can't win every meet! This year she competed level 6!

There is a girl at dd's gym who went from 1 year in Bronze to L4 the next year at around the same age, at the coach's recommendation. I think what your dd's coach recommends will probably be the most important.

While this girl got all the skills to compete, she was consistently toward the bottom of the team scoring wise, compared to kids who came up through JO. She was also one of the oldest kids on the L4 team, because at dd's gym, older kids generally get put into Xcel.

Does the coach agree with skipping level 3? My YDD was bronze last year and moved to 3. She had her kip, ROBHSBHS and FHS, but was still required to complete level 3.

We have not discussed with coach yet. She has all her floor requirements and this week started working kip and vault. She is a fast learner. My DD has just expressed an interest in trying. So, I guess what I need to figure out is how to approach coaches.

My DD also jumped from Bronze to Level 4 last spring (age 7 at the time). However, her Xcel gym had the Bronze kids doing pretty much Level 3 routines, and she had picked up her kip already too.

She did fine in Level 4 (had a mediocre start but finished at L4 State with 3rd place on beam, 5th on bars and 7th AA). She definitely scored/placed higher in Xcel Bronze, but never regretted her jump to JO. Looks like she will compete Level 6 next year.

In my opinion, the jump from Bronze to Level 4 is fine if the gymnast is ready (has skills, good form, etc.). However, I agree with the prior poster that the level of competition and scoring will likely be an adjustment. Good luck!

Most of our girls on the Xcel side jump over to level 2 from bronze, or level 3 from bronze/silver, but depending on how quickly she learns and how clean she is, she could be a successful level 4.

We had a girl 9 year old bronze spring 2016 who just missed making the state team and scored high 37s/low 38s as a Bronze. Most of our JO kids start in level 2 or 3, but she started in fall 2016 as a level 4 and had a solid season scoring high 35s/36s. She is now in the level 5 group and will compete a full season of level 5 in fall 2017, and then go to level 6 or 7 in spring 2018. So in two years she will get from Bronze to optionals, and she's doing great. Very talented, hard worker.

Wow! That is impressive!

I would just prepare yourself and your daughter for the difference. I know the Excel parents were very surprised in the difference in scoring between Excel and JO. Their kids consistently get in the mid to high 9s on events and that's not how it goes in JO all the time. Also it depends on how your gym trains Excel---the skills being practiced, and the attention to form differ greatly between Excel and JO at our gym. So an Excel bronze gymnast at our gym would be nowhere near ready for level 4. I would even say the Excel silvers at our gym wouldn't be ready for level 4. We had a couple kids go from Excel bronze to level 3 and there have been some struggles--they will be repeating level 3 next year. But its all about the work you are willing to put in and if your gym is willing to give it a shot.

I would just prepare yourself and your daughter for the difference. I know the Excel parents were very surprised in the difference in scoring between Excel and JO. Their kids consistently get in the mid to high 9s on events and that's not how it goes in JO all the time. Also it depends on how your gym trains Excel---the skills being practiced, and the attention to form differ greatly between Excel and JO at our gym. So an Excel bronze gymnast at our gym would be nowhere near ready for level 4. I would even say the Excel silvers at our gym wouldn't be ready for level 4. We had a couple kids go from Excel bronze to level 3 and there have been some struggles--they will be repeating level 3 next year. But its all about the work you are willing to put in and if your gym is willing to give it a shot.

She is the type of kid that even though she has been on top of podium all year, the medals don't mean much to her. She values the progress and perfecting of her own weak areas. She is excited to move out of Xcel and get to compete more difficult skills and longer routines. But she keeps saying Level 3 looks boring. But I feel it will give her a much needed foundation for JO and most likely another year to build more strength and experience. I don't know if I should even approach coaches.

There is such a range of skills in Xcel, and different areas/gyms have different expectations and quality of training that it really probably depends on the situation. Puma Jr did Xcel Gold in between L3 and L4 and did not score that well in L4 at all. But, she had some different circumstances. I could see a solid XB with good uptraining doing very well in L4. And like @MuggleMom said, the judging can be very different in Xcel vs JO. It is in this area. The same FHS vault that was winning small Xcel Gold meets was darn close to last at larger L4 meets. But I'm sure with hard work the difference can be made up! Good luck!

I think its fair to ask the coaches to evaluate her and let you know where in the JO program they believe she will best fit and what she will need to do to be successful and progress. That way you get the info you are looking for without saying I know better than you where my kid should be.
Exactly....

Our bronze basically do the L3 routines, so they would be fine going t oL4, although our gym does not allow them to switch. They need to have their kip before theymove to silver (gym rule, not usag rule) and they must also be very very close to robhsbt to move to silver. They will let a few girls move with a double bhs. SO I would think she would be fine.

My DD jumped from Bronze to level 4 last year age 8/9. She did extremely well in Bronze and not so great in Level 4. That was the biggest adjustment and most difficult. Was it the right decision? Absolutely, she had the skills and was ready to compete them - she just learned that you can't win every meet! This year she competed level 6!

Sounds so familiar! My DD did the same but competed Level 5 this year instead of 6. She just finished her competition season and is so excited to be training giants and other new skills. Just last night she made her first unassisted giant. Wasn't beautiful but she did it! Anyway, like your DD, she did GREAT in Bronze but man oh man was Level 4 an adjustment.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back