WAG From bronze to level 4

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD did two years of Bronze, then Level 4, just finished Level 5 competition season, and is going to compete Level 7 in the fall (at least that's her coaches' current plan). Level 4 was a tough adjustment but it's worked out. If the coaches think she's ready, go for it! Just prepare your DD (and yourself haha) for potentially lower scores. My DD got a 7 something on vault at her first L4 meet -- that was a rude awakening! It got her butt in gear though!

I would say that..

- Most Bronze level athletes will transition to L2-L3 vs L4.
- However, a minority will be able to acquire the skills and form for L4.
- A minority of those who have L4 skills in time will score decently well, while most who transition to L4 will take a pretty big score ding for the first season (possibly more).

All depends on the specific programs, the coaches, and the athlete's talent + drive. Though Xcel programs do 'teach' form, of course, and the ideal form goals are the same, there is simply not enough time in Xcel to drill the details to the extent as in JO. So overall form of Xcel athletes is typically less 'tight' and 'precise' as you see in decent JO programs. These are the deductions transferring athletes get hammered on (tenthed to death). A 9.0-9.4 routine in Xcel may score a 7.9-8.4 in JO.

Scoring in L4 compared to L3 can also be a bit of a shock for JO athletes. L3 is usually a kinder experience.

All that said, IF your daughter gets her Kip, and Cartwheel and Handstand on Beam, and solid tumbling such that she is at least on the cusp of being considered for L4, I would recommend to go ahead and do L4 over L3 even if she has to take a season of scoring not so well. She is 10 already, so IMO, there is no real point in spending time on perfecting L3 IF your coaches give her the go ahead to try L4. A difficult L4 season followed by repeating L4 more successfully is better (again, imo) than doing a season of L3 Mill-Circle and such.

Bronze skills are really quite low compared to Level 4. Plus, there is a serious emphasis on form in JO. But it can be done. She would have to work very hard and be committed to mastering her skills. The scoring is a shock to parents and gymnasts who go from AAU 3 to USA 4, so from Bronze to 4 will also be quite different. Just have her mentally prepared if this is the route she takes.

Most of our girls on the Xcel side jump over to level 2 from bronze, or level 3 from bronze/silver, but depending on how quickly she learns and how clean she is, she could be a successful level 4.

We had a girl 9 year old bronze spring 2016 who just missed making the state team and scored high 37s/low 38s as a Bronze. Most of our JO kids start in level 2 or 3, but she started in fall 2016 as a level 4 and had a solid season scoring high 35s/36s. She is now in the level 5 group and will compete a full season of level 5 in fall 2017, and then go to level 6 or 7 in spring 2018. So in two years she will get from Bronze to optionals, and she's doing great. Very talented, hard worker.

That's what mine did, too. Bronze to 7 in 2 years, but her path was to do Bronze>Silver>5>7
It can work!
She's now finishing up Level 8 and training Level 9 now.
Her 4 year gymnastics anniversary in June.

Mine was 8 when she started so having maturity and more body control as an "old starter" helped, I'm sure.
This will hopefully be the case for OP's 10 year old as well! Good Luck!

OP- curious if there is any update? I think my DD is about to make a similar jump and I'm wondering how it will go for her. My biggest concern is the huge increase in hours from Bronze to level 4.

OP- curious if there is any update? I think my DD is about to make a similar jump and I'm wondering how it will go for her. My biggest concern is the huge increase in hours from Bronze to level 4.

I had been reading this, and wondering too if the coaches agreed.

The consistent increasing of hours was indeed a transition for my DD.

There is a huge increase in hours from a Bronze to 4. In our gym it's the difference of 9 to 20 hours a week. It's a huge commitment.

Level 3 is not required for mobility. If she has the skills for Level 4, I definitely recommend skipping 3. L3 also has a lot of non-progressive skills that are put in there just so the girls have something to compete before they get skills like kips and can actually swing on the bars.

Level 4 actually has skills that need to be mastered before moving on, so no time is ever wasted perfecting them IMO. Most gyms realize this as well and will sometimes compete very young girls who are a little more green in L4, w/ the understanding that they will repeat the level one or two times.

There are some gyms around me that don't even compete Level 3 at all and just go right to L4 from preteam.

The only thing that may be hard for your daughter is going from having her own custom routines for floor and beam to the monotony of the "everyone does the same routine" compulsory system. Scoring is a lot thougher on technique too.

Our levels 3, 4 and 5 are together. When the girls come to us, we decide where they go. While I believe many of the skills in level 3 are ridiculous, they do promote proper form. Unless the gymnast has 2 back handsprings and 2 kips, glide kip and long kip to high bar, they should not skip 3.

My biggest concern for DD's move is having her adjust to the big increase in hours. Any tips (other than to stock up on ibuprofen)? :)

Level 3 is not required for mobility. If she has the skills for Level 4, I definitely recommend skipping 3. L3 also has a lot of non-progressive skills that are put in there just so the girls have something to compete before they get skills like kips and can actually swing on the bars.

Level 4 actually has skills that need to be mastered before moving on, so no time is ever wasted perfecting them IMO. Most gyms realize this as well and will sometimes compete very young girls who are a little more green in L4, w/ the understanding that they will repeat the level one or two times.

There are some gyms around me that don't even compete Level 3 at all and just go right to L4 from preteam.

The only thing that may be hard for your daughter is going from having her own custom routines for floor and beam to the monotony of the "everyone does the same routine" compulsory system. Scoring is a lot thougher on technique too.
And this is where AAU is better. AAU 3 does have skills that help them transition to the higher levels. They can choose to compete a kip, there is no stride circle, they squat on and jump to high bar and have to do tap swings.

Just a side note--continue on.

Well, it's been a crazy month or so. My DD is now training Level 4 at a new gym. And is absolutely loving the challenge of new skills. She is learning so much and getting stronger everyday. However, going from 6 hours a week to 14 was a HUGE adjustment.

Glad your DD is loving the new challenge! My DD made the same change last May (Xcel Bronze 9 hrs/week to JO L4 16 hrs/week) and will compete L6 next year. There was definitely an adjustment period, but it really wasn't too bad. It is helpful that summer is around the corner so that your DD can handle the increased gym hours without juggling school/homework.

Good luck :)

Well, it's been a crazy month or so. My DD is now training Level 4 at a new gym. And is absolutely loving the challenge of new skills. She is learning so much and getting stronger everyday. However, going from 6 hours a week to 14 was a HUGE adjustment.
DD moved over to JO a little over a week ago and loves it, but she was pretty sore Sat. and Sunday as she adjusts to way more hours and conditioning. Like yours, she is so excited about working on new skills- although there were a few tears yesterday as I think it just hit her that she won't be training with her Xcel buddies anymore.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back