Parents Front handspring front layout front tuck vs punch layout front tuck

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmom2020

Proud Parent
Can anyone tell me if a front handspring front layout front tuck has a different /same value than a punch layout front tuck?

Layout - tuck has a higher start value. Handspring front tuck is AA, front layout front tuck is BA.

Can I piggyback on this and ask what a front lay out front pike is? Or what about front lay front lay (BB)? How long can my daughter do this pass? She is level 7 training 8 and has been doing front lay front pike for both seasons. However, she is almost to front lay front lay.

Ahh, yes both same value. Some gymnasts find they can generate more power if they put the front handspring first, others will do better with just the punch. It is very individual.

Can I piggyback on this and ask what a front lay out front pike is? Or what about front lay front lay (BB)? How long can my daughter do this pass? She is level 7 training 8 and has been doing front lay front pike for both seasons. However, she is almost to front lay front lay.
Front Layout Front Pike is BB ... same a Front Lay Front Lay. She can easily do either of these passes through Level 8.

Can anyone tell me if a front handspring front layout front tuck has a different /same value than a punch layout front tuck?
The FHS is an A, but doesn't change the value of any of the other skills. So the values are:

FHS-FLO-FT: A, B, A
FLO-FT: B, A

In practical terms: finding enough A's to fill out a routine is pretty much never a challenge, so while the FHS does give you an additional A, it will very rarely make any practical difference.

Agreed! A front pike should not be the same value as a front layout.

We use the FIG code here, so it’s an A.

Honestly, that's not even the craziest undervaluing of a skill in the USAG code. Here are some others (with the disclaimer that this is from memory, and the code has undergone at least one revision since last I looked at it):

Wolf jump 1/2 turn is a B
Tuck jump 1/1 turn is a B

But my absolute favorite has to be a tuck jump 2/1, which is a D. Especially hilarious considering that if you add a back salto, it goes DOWN in value

Honestly, that's not even the craziest undervaluing of a skill in the USAG code. Here are some others (with the disclaimer that this is from memory, and the code has undergone at least one revision since last I looked at it):

Wolf jump 1/2 turn is a B
Tuck jump 1/1 turn is a B

But my absolute favorite has to be a tuck jump 2/1, which is a D. Especially hilarious considering that if you add a back salto, it goes DOWN in value
There’s a wiki site with lil gifs showing mounts, jumps, dismounts, acro, etc and skill value… my daughter and I spent a good amount of time just going “wait how is THAT and THAT worth the same???”. Either you get something ridiculously more difficult than everything else in the batch or just a bucket load easier.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back