Front handspring help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnastbecki

Coach
Gymnast
So I want to learn how to front handspring front tuck, but my coach says I can't yet because I'm doing my front handspring wrong. She says I don't bring my feet together fast enough and they only come together at the last second! I can see what she means in this video but is it really that important? She never really tells me what to do about it or how to do it probably!
What am I doing wrong?

You're on the right track but your coach is right, you are joining your legs at the very last second. If you were my gymnast I would set up a wall station were you'd have to close your legs before reaching vertical. I also like flysprings to isolate certain parts of the skill.
Furthermore you have a very nice heel drive but you put your hands relatively close to your feet which I believe makes it hard for you to get your legs together earlier. You also drop your left arm and close your shoulders to early.
In conclusion: Keep the power, reach further, get your back leg up faster, after the block keep a tight arch with open shoulders, keep your arms by your ears and look at your hands.
Keep up the good work, you'll get it eventually. :)

I do this for my front handspring too, and I recommend fixing it before you do the handspring front tuck. It becomes hard to fix later, and it messes up the front tuck. It becomes harder to do the front tuck with your feet landing like that, and the front tuck could be crooked in the air.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back